Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

The power of feedback

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
TUK020
Lemon Quarter

The power of feedback

Postby TUK020 » December 2nd, 2020, 7:00 am

Would it be possible to add a "thumbs down" or negative rec function to the Laughing Lemons page?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: The power of feedback

Postby Urbandreamer » December 2nd, 2020, 7:32 am

I would strongly oppose this idea.

While a posts author is informed of "likes" for all others it's anonymous.

That I feel would set a very bad president. You can post a reply explaining why you feel that they are wrong, or offensive.

Who knows, if such actions are done they may learn that from the fact.

It may be worth mentioning for those who frequent Biscuit Bar but don't visit Laughing Lemons that a recent post there is not a joke but an apology for one. I suggest that the apology might be worth reading. It might even be worth reading the original joke thread to see the responses and get a context.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am

Urbandreamer wrote:While a posts author is informed of "likes" for all others it's anonymous.

It's not. I can see which posts you (or anyone else) has liked.

Scott.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am

Urbandreamer wrote:While a posts author is informed of "likes" for all others it's anonymous.
Are we sure about this? Or, have I misunderstood you? Click on the poster's profile and then Been Thanked->View List for a breakdown of the poster's thankees.

Chris
[Edit: Snap!]

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am

Not quite. If you click on the Has thanked count at the right of any post the site will show you a list of all the posts that user has thanked. So, while it's true that there's no convenient way of seeing a list of all who thanked a post the information is there for the determined (and script writers).

The lack of anonymity is why some people don't thank. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5144

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 2nd, 2020, 8:27 am

I've seen the up and down arrows on other sites, and I've also seen the trouble it causes. Not for the 'arrower' but the one being arrowed. I've seen people become very paranoid about the whole thing. Some folk are suprisingly sensitive and in my view we'd be better not going there. Bear in mind that the arrow system would apply to all, not just those whom we consider out of the ordinary for being offensive. There are perma trolls who just down arrow because they know it makes people upset.

We are trying to encouraging people to join us, not tear them apart.

Arb.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 2nd, 2020, 8:53 am

Arborbridge wrote:I've seen the up and down arrows on other sites, and I've also seen the trouble it causes. Not for the 'arrower' but the one being arrowed. I've seen people become very paranoid about the whole thing. Some folk are suprisingly sensitive and in my view we'd be better not going there. Bear in mind that the arrow system would apply to all, not just those whom we consider out of the ordinary for being offensive. There are perma trolls who just down arrow because they know it makes people upset.

Arb.

I completely welcome your post, in particular the final sentence. Would you mind if I very delicately said that I probably "dwell" in the "surprisingly sensitive" category you have mentioned. Whilst I'm aware of this and take efforts to ensure I manage this, there are times when I, regrettably, fail. Your observation about those who enjoy manipulating others feelings by being constantly negative on these kinds of forums is, unfortunately, all too true. The constant "nay-sayers", for want of a better term.

Is this conversation more about the element of trust that can be implied and taken within these kind of forums? I'd like to suggest it could be. And perhaps it's how we convey "trust" in this forum to those who have just joined or don't frequent often? It's a complicated subject I know.

AiY

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 2nd, 2020, 9:26 am

Urbandreamer wrote:That I feel would set a very bad president.

Don't worry, he'll be gone in January :lol:

--kiloran

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 14th, 2020, 4:56 pm

kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

You almost made me break my "No Thanking(???)" policy with that one. :lol:

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 15th, 2020, 10:27 pm

kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

Ok, I didn't mean him. However, will he? He doesn't seem to think that the votes matter. The system doesn't seem to disagree with him yet, even if he lost on all counts.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

Arborbridge wrote:I've seen the up and down arrows on other sites, and I've also seen the trouble it causes. Not for the 'arrower' but the one being arrowed. I've seen people become very paranoid about the whole thing. Some folk are suprisingly sensitive and in my view we'd be better not going there. Bear in mind that the arrow system would apply to all, not just those whom we consider out of the ordinary for being offensive. There are perma trolls who just down arrow because they know it makes people upset.

Arb.

Yes, the trolls really are annoying. I used to often comment on Yahoo News stories and you could guarantee that even the most thoughtful, intelligent and sensitive posts would receive plenty of down-arrows, along with stupid remarks that may or may have been linked to the arrows. I used to get furious rather than upset, started replying and attempting to understand their point of view. Looking back, I regret that I wasted so much time on 'feeding the trolls'.

Steve

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 16th, 2020, 1:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Arb.

Yes, the trolls really are annoying. I used to often comment on Yahoo News stories and you could guarantee that even the most thoughtful, intelligent and sensitive posts would receive plenty of down-arrows, along with stupid remarks that may or may have been linked to the arrows. I used to get furious rather than upset, started replying and attempting to understand their point of view. Looking back, I regret that I wasted so much time on 'feeding the trolls'.

Steve

I suspect we've all dipped our toes in that ocean. I read the other day a quote which was supposed to be inspirational.

"When you listen do you hear what the other person is saying?".

I often find I listen. But that's all it is. I'm not really going to change my opinion or direction. I'm listening because it's "the right thing to do". We live in a social environment of guidelines, rules, objectives, cues, signals and goals and "we" interpret these as best we can. There will always be those who find it's amusing to "troll" others. They are in the minority though. For the most people do manage to respect others opinions. I genuinely value others opinions especially when such can benefit me.

AiY

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”