Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus threads

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronavirus threads

Postby johnhemming » December 28th, 2020, 2:18 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
johnhemming wrote:... I do not set out to create offence. ...

I'm certain that is the case & I've never found your posts offensive. Nor do I think anyone has used that word until you introduced it (but haven't checked).

As I understand it the complaint is about the volume of statistical posts and this is found to be a problem.

I have some difficulty understanding which posts this refers to and the point at which the volume becomes a problem.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » December 28th, 2020, 2:22 pm

I have looked for the complaint and this is it:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22218&p=370163#p370160

Mike4 wrote:
johnhemming wrote:
XFool wrote:My naive take on this is that people in public are always arguing over 'The figures'. But I would expect the professionals are more interested in the numbers derived from 'The figures'. i.e. Ratios and velocities rather than 'The figures' in themselves, precisely because they are trying to look 'over the horizon'.

Which is why I do an analysis on the figures and look at the first differential.

In which case wouldn't most of your posts sit better on the Coronavirus - modelling board?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 28th, 2020, 2:26 pm

johnhemming wrote:
I do not set out to create offence.

There's no offence John - it just looks to me from the opening posts on this topic that a line might have been crossed where the pragmatic and occasional use of some numbers to help flesh out some other broader discussions on the Beerpig's Snug COVID thread has recently crossed the line into such persistent statistics-based discussion in a way that might now be more appropriate to be taking place on the specific 'Modelling' thread that's been set up for that level of numbers-based detail -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=22737&start=980

Now you can agree with that or not, but that seems to be the primary reason that this particular topic has been raised here by your fellow posters..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 28th, 2020, 2:31 pm

johnhemming wrote:As I understand it the complaint is about the volume of statistical posts and this is found to be a problem.

I didn't write nor have I studied the OP but, to me at least, it is the volume of posts generally around the Fool that is the problem. I'm not pointing at anyone but there does seems to be a scattergun approach as to where people post. That results in the oft seen comment where posters can't find a relevant post or topic or interesting link outwith TLF. Viz, for example, the recent new 'The Vaccine' topic where you directed someone to where it was.

I attempt to read them all, wherever they are posted, and take from them what I can, time permitting. Near the very start I was hoping and suggested there might be a dedicated Covid Forum but that is probably not really possible/wise or whatever.

TLF kindly set up the resource sticky to direct people (which includes a link to the 5 main threads) but that has nearly died a death etc etc:

Coronavirus - A Resource
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=22293

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm

johnhemming wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Judging by the fact that this topic has been raised here, then it sounds like a more community-minded approach might be appreciated in terms of perhaps paying more attention as to where you're posting some of your more prolific statistical output...

For a while I was posting the daily figures from the government site. I stopped because the government site stopped being reliable about providing them. In fact then you personally posted them complaining that I had ceased to do that.

Now I am happy to fit in with reasonable rules, but if things become unreasonable and it appears to me that people are complaining primarily because they disagree with me then I can simply stop posting.

I really don't think there is a problem putting the historic numbers into a debate about coronavirus. To be honest I cannot see how one can discuss the matter without at least some facts most of which have numbers associated.

Easy tiger :lol: I'm not entirely sure I can add anything constructive. John I often read your posts. Looking for little nuggets that I find informative or I simply agree with. I'd like to suggest, therefore, that your perception may be tilted towards the negative and perhaps a moment to review may realign? I often have tremendous feelings of entitlement. I genuinely believe that if I treat everyone kindly that everyone will join in. How naïve am I. And let's be honest no one can be kind all the time. When I feel someone isn't being kind to me my feelings of entitlement create a bit of disappointment. I'm the source of my own issues. I create my own belief followed swiftly by a sense of entitlement, subsequent expectations and the aftermath of negative feelings.

I'll continue to read your posts if I may. Not because I always agree or often have a clue about it all. It's just what I want to do.

AiY

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » December 28th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
johnhemming wrote:
I do not set out to create offence.

There's no offence John - it just looks to me from the opening posts on this topic that a line might have been crossed where the pragmatic and occasional use of some numbers to help flesh out some other broader discussions on the Beerpig's Snug COVID thread has recently crossed the line into such persistent statistics-based discussion in a way that might now be more appropriate to be taking place on the specific 'Modelling' thread that's been set up for that level of numbers-based detail -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=22737&start=980

Now you can agree with that or not, but that seems to be the primary reason that this particular topic has been raised here by your fellow posters..

I obviously don't agree with that. However, I don't have a problem not agreeing with people.

Where I have a problem is that there is insufficient evidence to even indicate that this might be true. I am happy to simply ignore the issue and move on if everyone else is of a mind to do the same.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”