Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Posts deleted without comment

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Posts deleted without comment

Postby johnhemming » January 28th, 2021, 6:11 pm

I wish moderators would not delete posts without leaving some comment or sending a message.

I made what I thought was a useful comment in relation to pre-emptive orders for costs in public law litigation (a matter which I currently have a case with the UNECE).

Here if you are interested:
https://unece.org/acccc2016142-united-kingdom

Costs capping is a really important issue.

However, my post was just deleted.

On the other hand there is someone spamming the forum with rubbish about virtual financial advisors. That, however, is left without action. I accept I have not flagged it, but I have now made the point.

However, I raise this because it is irritating when I spend time to write what I think are helpful and useful comments to have them deleted without either a message to me or anything remaining on the site.

As people know I got bit tired when it was thought to be reasonable to be rude and abusive to me. However, I particularly don't like having posts deleted without comment. It is not as if I was promoting any of my various interests (referring to the UN case really cannot be considered to be that).

I accept that moderators are volunteers. I would be happy to be a moderator as well. However, I really am demotivated by having posts deleted without comment.

Post deleted with comment would be a massive improvement. Threads locked is ok. However, posts deleted without comment is not acceptable.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Posts deleted without comment

Postby Itsallaguess » January 28th, 2021, 6:30 pm

johnhemming wrote:
On the other hand there is someone spamming the forum with rubbish about virtual financial advisors. That, however, is left without action.

I accept I have not flagged it, but I have now made the point.

Whilst you're making so many regular demands of the volunteer moderators John, do you think you might like to start playing your own part in that process by actually reporting posts that you want them to look at??

Cheers,

Itsallaguess (not involved with your deleted post)

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
johnhemming wrote:
On the other hand there is someone spamming the forum with rubbish about virtual financial advisors. That, however, is left without action.

I accept I have not flagged it, but I have now made the point.

Whilst you're making so many regular demands of the volunteer moderators John, do you think you might like to start playing your own part in that process by actually reporting posts that you want them to look at??

Cheers,

Itsallaguess (not involved with your deleted post)

My problem is having a post deleted without comment. That is what is making me think I should simply stop posting. I am not that stressed about the spam. We can all ignore spam.

It is, of course, the "without comment" part that I have particular concern about.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 28th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Have you read the "rules" of TLF? It states
Posts may be deleted without warning or explanation (we will endeavour to explain but this may not always be possible). The decision of the Admins and Moderators is final.

I do believe mods do make the effort usually, but if it is something obviously against TLF rules and regs then it can follow that no explanation is needed or given.

I duplicate IAAG, if you see something that you feel is not meeting TLFs rules then a report helps. Mods are volunteers and do not read every post.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 28th, 2021, 7:37 pm

seagles wrote:Have you read the "rules" of TLF? It states

That's OK.

I don't mind not spending the time to research posts and post them here.

I am getting the viewpoint that my contributions are not valued and hence I should not waste my time making them.

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » January 28th, 2021, 7:48 pm

John, any idea what percentage of your posts are deleted without comment?

50%.... that is certainly an issue
10%.... certainly an irritation
1-2%..... Does it really matter? Life's too short

Please keep posting

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 28th, 2021, 7:52 pm

BellaHubby wrote:John, any idea what percentage of your posts are deleted without comment?

50%.... that is certainly an issue
10%.... certainly an irritation
1-2%..... Does it really matter? Life's too short

Please keep posting

I don't know, but given that it seemed entirely reasonable from a moderation perspective for me to be a target of abuse I think that deleting posts about a relatively abstruse area of common law where to get formal advice could be very expensive without comment is unacceptable.

Life is too short yet. Why do I bother. It is not difficult to stop posting.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 28th, 2021, 8:55 pm

johnhemming wrote:I wish moderators would not delete posts without leaving some comment or sending a message.

I made what I thought was a useful comment in relation to pre-emptive orders for costs in public law litigation ...

I haven't read this thread but I think that reply of yours may have been at Room 101.

You may well not be aware of that place's purpose viewtopic.php?f=91&t=13513.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » January 28th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Another post has been deleted without comment. Hence I will accept that the settled view of the moderators is that they would prefer that is ceased to comment. Hence I will do as requested.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 28th, 2021, 9:23 pm

Hi John.
I have deleted a post of yours that was completely off topic regarding a forum name. However I left a comment. I propose that you are in someway missing the responses as opposed to them not being given?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 28th, 2021, 9:42 pm

I find John's complaint perplexing. I'm curious about what happens when one has a post deleted. How does one find out? How is John finding out? Is one informed by PM or a Notification? Maybe it happens to me too, but without me noticing.

Is John's complaint perhaps that he only receives an automated notification rather than a personalised comment or explanation?

If posts are routinely deleted completely without personalised comment from TLF and without automated notification, How does John know a post of his has been deleted without comment, other than by periodically visiting all his posts to check they are all still there?

And if all deletions are actually notified by automated notification and personalised comment only sometimes, I think John's complaint is a bit rich given his own resistance to playing by the rules and using the "Report Post" facility when a post by someone else troubles him, explaining to Team Mod what is wrong with the post he wants deleting.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 28th, 2021, 9:50 pm

stooz wrote:...was completely off topic regarding a forum name.

I'm sure a lot of people have no idea what is considered on or off topic for any particular section of these forums, I know I don't. Is the biscuit bar about biscuits? The main reason I never start new threads is I would have no idea where to put them. Perhaps that's the intention? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 28th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Lanark wrote:

I'm sure a lot of people have no idea what is considered on or off topic for any particular section of these forums, I know I don't. Is the biscuit bar about biscuits? The main reason I never start new threads is I would have no idea where to put them. Perhaps that's the intention? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The site home page says this about the Biscuit Bar:

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool

How would you suggest that be re-written so that you do understand what is relevant for the board?

MDW1954

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 28th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Lanark wrote:

I'm sure a lot of people have no idea what is considered on or off topic for any particular section of these forums, I know I don't. Is the biscuit bar about biscuits? The main reason I never start new threads is I would have no idea where to put them. Perhaps that's the intention? ...

It is indeed a shame people don’t know where to get an idea of what a particular board is about. The currently named Biscuit Bar has a tag line, as can be seen here:

viewforum.php?f=19

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 28th, 2021, 10:16 pm

johnhemming wrote:Another post has been deleted without comment. Hence I will accept that the settled view of the moderators is that they would prefer that is ceased to comment. Hence I will do as requested.

johnhemming,

On a thread intended to discuss a new name for the Biscuit Bar, you posted this:

OK I accept I am sour and bitter about a post relating to the rules on the costs that you can be charged by the government for complaining about government policy in court being deleted without comment.

However, I think life is too short. I might as well just leave it.

If you want to understand the importance of this sort of issue see Craig Murray's post:

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... on-affair/

I did attend (on the phone) his court hearing yesterday.

It was deleted (not by me), because it was completely off-topic. I'm sure that any site moderator would be happy to re-instate the post, if you could only adequately explain its relevance to the topic under discussion -- namely a new name for the Biscuit Bar.

Equally, I'm sure you'll understand that as volunteer moderators, we don't all have the time to to explain why we have deleted random off-topic posts within threads in which they shouldn't have been posted.

MDW1954

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 28th, 2021, 10:27 pm

Mike4 wrote:I find John's complaint perplexing. I'm curious about what happens when one has a post deleted. How does one find out? How is John finding out? Is one informed by PM or a Notification? Maybe it happens to me too, but without me noticing.

Is John's complaint perhaps that he only receives an automated notification rather than a personalised comment or explanation?

None of the above. Unless the moderator chooses to send the poster a PM (and they usually don't), there is no notification.

It's perfectly possible for you to have had your posts deleted and you never be aware of it, unless you happen to revisit the thread and notice that they're gone, which may not be immediately obvious anyway (e.g. if there were other posts since).

The same is true if the mod decides to edit your post.

stooz wrote:Hi John.
I have deleted a post of yours that was completely off topic regarding a forum name. However I left a comment.

I saw the offending post, but if you left a comment it wasn't in the thread.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 28th, 2021, 10:36 pm

Randomly...

I have only had a very few posts deleted, I can think of only one that had taken much effort to write.

Deletion is I imagine more likely if people just respond to posts using the New Post button or whatever it's called - I don't use it = regardless of the board on which they are posting. Not saying that's John's case.

In John's position I think I might feel irked. It would be a shame to lose someone whose contributions are well considered. He could however save himself a lot of time by abstaining from the CV statistics.....

If it really takes so long for the mods to send a short message, one has to wonder why. One can ratlle something off pretty quickly I would have thought.

V8

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 28th, 2021, 10:52 pm

88V8 wrote:
If it really takes so long for the mods to send a short message, one has to wonder why. One can ratlle something off pretty quickly I would have thought.

V8

V8, et al,

1. Some people are serial offenders. This has an impact.
2. Some forums are more problematic than others, and failure to act quickly in those can lead to things snowballing out of control. The online analogue of Kessler syndrome.
3. Rattling off can be done very quickly. Much faster than TLF will allow us to do our second Mod action in 5-secs. We too have to obey the "no posting again too quickly" rules that are embedded in the TLF server. In a complex scenario that waiting can very soon get very tedious.
4. Actually modding from a small screen can be very difficult (sometimes it is actually quite complex), much easier from a PC. But sometimes it needs to be done from a small screen for various reasons, and so delete is workable.
5. Many of us Mods have only volunteered to take on a subset of the boards, and sometimes the relocate/trim/edit/etc Modding actions that might be ideal do not fit with our actual Modding powers. Again that can cause the simple approach of delete to be taken.
6. And we too have human failings.

I've not looked at anything else on this thread, I generally prefer to avoid the BB, just trying to answer your question as it happened to be at the top of the pile.

regards, dspp

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 28th, 2021, 11:00 pm

88V8 wrote:If it really takes so long for the mods to send a short message, one has to wonder why. One can rattle something off pretty quickly I would have thought.

V8

Three points:

1) It's not so much the time, as the number. Most of us are working. All of us are busy. And the site's rules are clear: deleted posts don't have to be explained. If they are evidently off-topic or downright abusive, I for one usually don't bother.

2) Today, a user on the HYP-P board has two posts deleted. I exchanged multiple messages, and worked with them to establish a clear understanding of what the issue was. This was a significant time investment, within a normal working day.

3) If a user has had a post deleted, experience shows that the last thing that they want to receive is a post that comprises "something that has been rattled off pretty quickly". For proof, post something off-topic, and I'll delete it and rattle something off pretty quickly by way of explanation.

MDW1954

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 28th, 2021, 11:03 pm

When posting it's reasonably easy to copy and paste each post into a Notepad file and save it. 30 seconds (if that) of the posters time.

That would allow moderators to delete without having to send the post to a poster.

Surely we need to respect the moderators time first?

Am I allowed to suggest it's not up to the moderators to wait on us hand and foot?

AiY

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”