Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Stories

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Stories

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 27th, 2017, 10:09 am

Today's story of Tescos bid for Booker seems worthy of a thread somewhere here. Both share prices well up, but no strong ripples. Perhaps Fools could shed some light on Booker's role: whether they're important not only to Tesco but to other supermarkets (listed and otherwise). Or indeed more widely: what about retailers more generally? Or fast food such as Greggs? Not that I'd expect Booker to let this get in the way of work for any existing client, but might it prompt a big Tesco competitor like Sainsburys to review any relationship?

I have no idea how much sense those questions even make, let alone the answers where applicable. A thread here could inform me, and doubtless others.

Which leads me to a suggestion. Should there be a board (lemon segment?) for ad-hoc stories like this, or like the recent bid for Sky? Maybe also the BT profit warning earlier this week: a problem for BT, or a symptom of something deeper, wider? The nearest board here is perhaps Global and Macro Topics: perhaps that could be repurposed?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Stories

Postby PinkDalek » January 27th, 2017, 1:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Today's story of Tescos bid for Booker seems worthy of a thread somewhere here. ...

Many of the company announcements you mention have been discussed over at "High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical", such as the Tesco/Booker proposed merger here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2823.

If they don't fall within that Forum's (board's) remit, I'm sure "Share ideas" can cater viewforum.php?f=33. It is not overly active over there, although I much appreciate MrContrarian's daily Smallcap Sweeps, and the Forum doesn't have a detailed descriptor as such.

I'm sure others will disagree but I feel there are already enough separate Forums.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 27th, 2017, 6:08 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Many of the company announcements you mention have been discussed over at "High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical", such as the Tesco/Booker proposed merger here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2823.

The HYP board tends to be high-traffic, and some of the Regulars can be quite zealous about sticking to a rather narrow focus. I've actually made the effort to wean myself off it.

Besides, with Tesco yielding nothing and Booker yielding 2.16%, they seem an uneasy topic for HYP. Tesco looks to me much more like a recovery stock, depending on your view of its prospects.
If they don't fall within that Forum's (board's) remit, I'm sure "Share ideas" can cater

Wasn't Share Ideas originally thought of as something of a refuge from Paulypilot's Pub? That is, a forum for discussion of small caps and other more adventurous topics. I agree about MrC and I see other interesting content there, but it feels too niche for a Big Story about Tesco.
I'm sure others will disagree but I feel there are already enough separate Forums.

I'll stay neutral on that. My thought was that Global and Macro Topics feels the nearest to right for the Tesco story. It is, after all, a specific Event rather than a regular discussion of a share.

On the subject of the OP, today's news coverage has told me just enough about Booker to confirm that some of my questions this morning were nonsensical.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 27th, 2017, 6:21 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Wasn't Share Ideas originally thought of as something of a refuge from Paulypilot's Pub? That is, a forum for discussion of small caps and other more adventurous topics. I agree about MrC and I see other interesting content there, but it feels too niche for a Big Story about Tesco.

Yes but it doesn't say so on the tin, which is what I was trying to say when I mentioned the descriptor. One of the longest threads over there seems to be about Vodafone and a shorter one is about Sky.

I can't really see that Global and Macro Topics fits the bill, although I think it was talked about as being a replacement for Berteee's old place.

Was there an equivalent back at TMF and what was it called? If it was Bert's Investor Sanctuary then perhaps you can use Global and Macro Topics after all and see what the response is like.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”