Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Misunderstanding

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
XFool
The full Lemon

Misunderstanding

Postby XFool » April 21st, 2021, 10:13 am

I remember making this point previously, but it somehow seems to be ignored or misunderstood.

Following a short discussion, in Room 101 - "Bafflement", I was surprised to find a continuing misunderstanding about the Lemon Fool website.

It is NOT the case that all threads and posts on TLF are publicly readable. Most are, but some threads are only fully readable if you are logged in as a registered user. In these cases the first line or so of the OP is readable to anonymous browsers, but no more unless logged in. One example is threads on the Current Affairs & News board. (There are other examples)

Why is the American tax payer getting fleeced?

"If i understand things correctly, the EU nations, even without the Uk, outnumber the US in population, have a greater cummaltive gdp, but we have to b...login to view the rest of this post"

"This topic has 20 replies"

"You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic."

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Misunderstanding

Postby GoSeigen » April 21st, 2021, 1:05 pm

XFool wrote:I remember making this point previously, but it somehow seems to be ignored or misunderstood.

Following a short discussion, in Room 101 - "Bafflement", I was surprised to find a continuing misunderstanding about the Lemon Fool website.

It is NOT the case that all threads and posts on TLF are publicly readable. Most are, but some threads are only fully readable if you are logged in as a registered user.

If I recall correctly the point was not ignored but elaborated upon: the additional point was made that spiders have greater access to the site than browsers so the contents of threads are visible in search engine results, even if they are not directly viewable by human guest readers of the site.

GS

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 21st, 2021, 1:39 pm

GoSeigen wrote:If I recall correctly the point was not ignored but elaborated upon: the additional point was made that spiders have greater access to the site than browsers so the contents of threads are visible in search engine results, even if they are not directly viewable by human guest readers of the site.

Surely that access is itself controlled by the website administrator?

Meanwhile:
viewtopic.php?p=390805#p390805
viewtopic.php?p=391798#p391798

The point seems to be, whatever way you want to play it, I believe I can certainly say there is a certain amount of uncertainty. ;)

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » April 25th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Some forums are locked post the 1stb post.
The reasons are two fold.
To encourage membership
To avoid likely contentious posts to be visible to guest posters who have not agreed the rules and can take posts out of context.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”