Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Banner by Google

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Banner by Google

Postby Itsallaguess » May 12th, 2021, 1:12 pm

1nvest wrote:
I use Dissenter browser, so for me a right click and block element removes the visibility

Given it's current location and obtrusiveness, I did the same earlier using 'Ad-Block'Plus'.

Some instructions here for anyone using 'Ad-Block-Plus' in their browser -

1. In your browser, whilst on a Lemon Fool page with the Google search-banner visible, left-click the 'Ad-Block-Plus' icon

2. In the drop-down 'Ad-Block-Plus' option menu, select the 'Block Element' option

3. You'll then be asked to select the element you wish to block, so left-click the whole 'Google-search' element block (the whole block should go RED in your browser when you hover you mouse over it before left-clicking...)

4. An 'Ad-Block-Plus' confirmation window should then appear once you've left clicked, and if you then select the 'Block' option in that confirmation window, the Lemon Fool page should now refresh, and show in your browser without the (currently...) imposing 'Google search' box...

At that point, any Lemon Fool page visited should be free of this currently-obtrusive banner....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Last edited by Itsallaguess on May 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm

1nvest wrote:Oh dear!

I use Dissenter browser, so for me a right click and block element removes the visibility, however additional code still sustains direct links to Google analytics ... not good (assuming you don't subscribe to the support/expansion of spyware).

While I agree with a lot of what you say, when it comes to the Dissenter browser and Gab.com, unfortunately:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network)

Gab (social network)

Gab is an American alt-tech social networking service known for its far-right userbase. Widely described as a haven for extremists including neo-Nazis, white supremacists, white nationalists, the alt-right, and QAnon conspiracy theorists, it has attracted users and groups who have been banned from other social media and users seeking alternatives to mainstream social media platforms. Gab says it promotes free speech, individual liberty, and "the free flow of information online", though these statements have been criticized as being a shield for its alt-right and extremist ecosystem. Antisemitism is prominent in the site's content, and the company itself has engaged in antisemitic commentary on Twitter. Researchers note that Gab has been "repeatedly linked to radicalization leading to real-world violent events".

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm

1nvest wrote:Oh dear!

Google is spyware and in including 'google analytics' within the web page that means google gets to see your IP at each visit. With other tricks they can more often associate devices/actions to individuals to build up a tracking system that can profile individuals and track their movements/activities. They've even resorted to playing inaudible tones on one device to have other devices listen and report back what devices they hear i.e. for close proximity tracking. When a 'company' goes to such lengths they are clearly spying and as such should be banned/blocked IMO but so far most states have failed to do so.

If I wanted to search the site using google its easy enough to go to google.com and enter the search term followed by site:lemonfool.co.uk Personally I prefer to minimise the amount of my movements/activities that others can track and as such prefer DuckDuckGo as my primary search engine, who take my search request and pass it on to google before returning the results - so that google doesn't directly see that it was me performing that search request.

Some, or even apparently most don't seem to mind having others know all of their personal details, preferences and movements, collected and recorded over years. Others, including me, would prefer privacy - the option to only share such details with whomever I considered it appropriate to do so. IMO including direct google tracking is a push toward individuals instating block controls and in so doing that also blocks ads and makes donations to have ads removed that much less likely. I use Dissenter browser, so for me a right click and block element removes the visibility, however additional code still sustains direct links to Google analytics ... not good (assuming you don't subscribe to the support/expansion of spyware).

Given these privacy concerns about Google (thank you for reminding us), is it possible to have a duckduckgo search box instead?

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » May 12th, 2021, 3:14 pm

XFool wrote:when it comes to the Dissenter browser and Gab.com, unfortunately:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network)

Gab (social network)

Gab is an American alt-tech social networking service known for its far-right userbase ...

Yes its free speech, so all sorts might post comments. Within Dissenter you can post/comment on any web page for others to see IF you so look at those comments, I personally don't. I did have a brief browse at the comment feature upon first using and yes there was trash so the appeal of using it was instantly lost. When you are free to say whatever you like then some will say some wild things, more so in a otherwise restrained era where free speech is no longer generally permitted. If Gab is far-right, perhaps its more indicative of just how far-left the centre has moved.

Much has been done by the likes of Google to get Dissenter put down, they've disconnected them and all sorts in a obvious attempt to destroy competition that isn't spyware. Basically its just the same as the Brave browser, but where Brave insert their own ads in place of otherwise Google ads, Dissenter shows neither.

So yes if you say you use it, as a consequence of the intentional put down attempts by Google and others, you'll be inclined to be seen as a bad individual that supports the extremist views of the few that make bad comments within its free speech web page commenting feature. The alternative would be to have comments filtered according to one groups opinion of what is acceptable and what is not.

Speed wise, without all of the spyware etc. its great.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: A better search function?

Postby staffordian » May 12th, 2021, 4:11 pm

I have to say I think IIAG's suggestion is spot on.

We're never satisified, are we? :D

stooz
Site Admin

Re: A better search function?

Postby stooz » May 12th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Yes,
We soft launched it last night without telling anyone to see how it worked.

We have now updated the designs so you have it on the navigation row, but it will also show its own extended page once a search completes.
I hope you all like it.
Sorry the 1st page is ads, but thats how we keep the site running and how the google offering works.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 12th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Dod101 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Stick it down at the bottom rather than at the top.
That way it's still there but not as in your face.
(No. I don't like it either.)

And how do I do that?

I'm pretty certain that we don't (and cannot) do it individually, and that absolutezero is instead suggesting that stooz does it for all of us.

Gengulphus

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 12th, 2021, 5:29 pm

In response to comments, both positive and negative, the Google Search function has been moved so that it does not take any additional space. It is a discreet search box on the right hand side below your user name.

While we accept that some people do not like Google, we believe concerns are outweighed by the additional functionality the Google search brings. TLF and TMF both struggled to have a search function that performed adequately. We now have one that does perform well.

Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 12th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Moderator Message:
I have locked the "Bloody Adverts" topic that had started discussing the Google search. I have also merged the "Improved Search" topic onto this one.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 12th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Clariman wrote:In response to comments, both positive and negative, the Google Search function has been moved so that it does not take any additional space. It is a discreet search box on the right hand side below your user name.

While we accept that some people do not like Google, we believe concerns are outweighed by the additional functionality the Google search brings. TLF and TMF both struggled to have a search function that performed adequately. We now have one that does perform well.

Clariman

Well done to all. It is great to have responsive owners/site managers. Very grateful.

Dod

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » May 12th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Dod101 wrote:

And how do I do that?

Dod

You can't. They have to do it.
Though I notice it's disappeared now.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 12th, 2021, 9:38 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

And how do I do that?

Dod

You can't. They have to do it.
Though I notice it's disappeared now.

It is still there but much more discreet :D

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 12th, 2021, 11:15 pm

Many thanks for the google search addition. I now have an easy to use search within the Lemon Fool which works.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”