Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Possible changes to the Retirement Investing board - acceptable outcomes?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).

Which of these options for what happens to the Retirement Investing board do you find acceptable?

The Retirement Investing board remains unchanged as it currently is
49%
The Retirement Investing board's subject becomes restricted to 'decumulation' only; discussion of 'accumulation' should go to other existing boards
1%
The Retirement Investing board's subject becomes restricted to 'decumulation' only; another board is created for discussion of FIRE (but other 'accumulation' discussion should go to other existing boards)
1%
The Retirement Investing board's subject becomes restricted to 'decumulation' only; another retirement investing board is created for discussion of 'accumulation'
5%
The Retirement Investing board's subject becomes restricted to investing after retirement only; discussion of investing before retirement to fund retirement should go to other existing boards
4%
The Retirement Investing board's subject becomes restricted to investing after retirement only; another board is created to discuss FIRE (but other discussion of investing before retirement to fund retirement should go to other existing boards)
12%
The Retirement Investing board is split into two boards, one to discuss investing after retirement, the other to discuss investing before retirement to fund retirement
27%

Total votes: 74

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Possible changes to the Retirement Investing board - acceptable outcomes?

Postby Gengulphus » July 10th, 2021, 12:10 pm

This is a poll about the possible changes currently being discussed to the Retirement Investing board. The question is which of the possible outcomes of that debate you would find acceptable.

Note that the question is deliberately not about which of the outcomes you consider best - its purpose is to find out which outcomes there's a reasonable hope of finding a consensus about. If there's more than one such outcome, I'll post a follow-up poll about which of them people consider best after enough time has elapsed for enough votes to come in on this one for its results to have stabilised.

Accordingly, in this poll you can vote for as many or as few of the options being acceptable as you like.

This poll is just an information-gathering exercise for the "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" thread concerned, so please restrict discussion of its results and the possible Retirement Investing board changes on that thread, not this one. Replies on this thread are however appropriate if there's something you don't understand about how this poll expects people to vote.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Possible changes to the Retirement Investing board - acceptable outcomes?

Postby swill453 » July 10th, 2021, 12:21 pm

Some of the options mention accumulation/decumulation and others mention investing before/after retirement. Is there an intentional distinction between the terms?

(Personally I don't like "decumulation", since even though I'm spending money in retirement I don't plan for my "pot" to reduce in value.)

Scott.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Possible changes to the Retirement Investing board - acceptable outcomes?

Postby Gengulphus » July 10th, 2021, 12:54 pm

swill453 wrote:Some of the options mention accumulation/decumulation and others mention investing before/after retirement. Is there an intentional distinction between the terms?

(Personally I don't like "decumulation", since even though I'm spending money in retirement I don't plan for my "pot" to reduce in value.)

Yes, there's an intentional difference between the terms: at least to me, 'decumulation' suggests actions aimed at one's "pot" reducing in value, whereas 'accumulation' suggests actions aimed at one's "pot" increasing in value. As you note, investing after retirement can involve either 'accumulation' or 'decumulation' - or indeed swapping between the two: I can for example easily imagine a retiree having been an 'accumulator' up until last year, but having been forced by dividend cuts to become a 'decumulator' last year.

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”