Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Thanks button not on some threads

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
pje16
Lemon Half

Thanks button not on some threads

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2021, 1:23 pm

I don't see the thanks button on some threads
I do on most, but there are are few where it is missing
and I know that other users can see it on the posts where I can't
I changed my board prefernce to BBOOTS in attempt to fix it - (that is horrible - why would anyone use that :lol: )
Anyway can anyone shed any light on the missing "thanks"
Thank you !

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Thanks button not on some threads

Postby staffordian » July 11th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Is it certain boards?

It used to be that thanks wasn't available on some (political?) boards, not sure if that is still the case.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Not sure
but this is one where I don't see it
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=30140
and that's under Polite Discussion ;)

EverybodyKnows
2 Lemon pips

Postby EverybodyKnows » July 11th, 2021, 2:14 pm

I can see thanks on that link. Perhaps the long title is displacing it from its usual position.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 11th, 2021, 2:16 pm

pje16 wrote:Not sure
but this is one where I don't see it
and that's under Polite Discussion ;)

Yes, IIRC that is one where thanks was deliberately disabled.

No doubt a mod or someone with a better memory than me will be along to clarify the reason.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 11th, 2021, 2:17 pm

EverybodyKnows wrote:I can see thanks on that link. Perhaps the long title is displacing it from its usual position.

I too can see a thanks button on that link.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2021, 2:19 pm

not sure about that reason
@Snorvey thanked me ( I saw my count go up)
bottom of this page

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 11th, 2021, 2:20 pm

pje16 wrote:
I don't see the thanks button on some threads

I do on most, but there are are few where it is missing

and I know that other users can see it on the posts where I can't

I changed my board prefernce to BBOOTS in attempt to fix it - (that is horrible - why would anyone use that :lol: )

Anyway can anyone shed any light on the missing "thanks"

Thank you !

I think it's only an issue on the Current Affairs & News board, and given the configuration-history of that board with regards to it previously only being visible to those that joined the 'Polite Discussion Group' area, but where it's since been opened out again to be a 'normally visible' board, I suspect that there's still something odd going on in that area with regards to some people not being able to see the 'Thanks' button on the Current Affairs & News board as it's currently configured.

Given that you're not able to see the 'Thanks' button on there currently, then it might be worth you carrying out a little experiment to see if the above is the issue -

1. Select your username in the above-right area of a Lemon Fool page

2. Click 'User Control Panel' from the drop-down menu

3. Click the 'Usergroups' tab on the control panel page

4. Under the 'Groups' list, there is a section marked 'Non-memberships', with one entry called 'Polite Discussion Group' - select the round radio button to the right of that entry, which is marked 'Select'

5. Underneath that list of groups, there should be a field marked 'Join selected', with a 'Submit' button to the right of it - select that 'Submit' button

6. On the 'Are you sure you want to join the selected group?' confirmation, select 'Yes'

7. You should then be sent back to your 'Edit Memberships' page, where you should now see the 'Polite Discussions Group' listed under the upper 'Memberships' section

8. Now go and find a post on the 'Current Affairs & News' board, and see if you now have visibility of the 'Thanks' button to the right of someone else's post...

I think that will work, but I'll be interested to hear some feedback from you on that, so we can perhaps then ask Stooz to take a look as to why this issue might be happening...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Thanks button not on some threads - NOW FIXED see above post

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2021, 2:25 pm

You absolute STAR
It works !!!!
This thread now needs a multiple thanks button :)
*****THANK YOU *****

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Thanks button not on some threads - NOW FIXED see above post

Postby Itsallaguess » July 11th, 2021, 2:34 pm

pje16 wrote:
It works !!!!

Good stuff - thanks for testing the theory out.

I'll report your opening post and ask if Stooz or Clariman can take a look as to why this configuration issue is affecting some posters.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2021, 2:55 pm

staffordian wrote:
EverybodyKnows wrote:I can see thanks on that link. Perhaps the long title is displacing it from its usual position.

I too can see a thanks button on that link.

I can't and I am logged in.

Does this mean the Thanks button appears for some users but not others? As I don't do "Thanks" it doesn't bother me much. :)

PS. I see this seems to have been answered now by Itsallaguess.

There do seem to be a number of site 'issues'.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2021, 3:04 pm

I assume you have looked in Control Panel
ucp.php?i=181
giving thanks is a nice gesture (IMHO) ;)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 11th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Fascinating, and I can reproduce it.
This must be a relic from the Polite Discussions Group.
If you are a member of the Polite Discussions Group you can Rec on CAN
If you are NOT a member of the Polite Discussions Group you can still post there, but can NOT Rec.

One for when stooz has a free moment I think

Gryff

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2021, 3:53 pm

pje16 wrote:I assume you have looked in Control Panel
ucp.php?i=181

Right! Now possibly this starts all kinds of hares running...

For instance, this: viewtopic.php?p=426293#p426293

I was unaware (I bet many other LMF users are, too) that there were still user settings pertaining to 'joining PD'. So, now I have 'joined'(?) will my results for a logon Google search be the same as shown in my post on the Room 101 board? Of course, for non LF users (who therefore do not have user settings) the results must be the same. Presumably this will still be the same for a non logged on user... But might be different with different logged on users? e.g. In relation to this point:

XFool wrote:Using Google outside TLM and searching for the subject "Triple lock must go!" does not find the discussion thread in the above board (it finds references to "Triple lock" in other, public TLF pension discussions). Similarly for the embedded TLF Google search, even when logged in. Same for "Pork-fed Chickens?"

pje16 wrote:giving thanks is a nice gesture (IMHO) ;)

This matter was discussed and decided when 'Thanks' was originally introduced.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2021, 4:05 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I think it's only an issue on the Current Affairs & News board, and given the configuration-history of that board with regards to it previously only being visible to those that joined the 'Polite Discussion Group' area, but where it's since been opened out again to be a 'normally visible' board, I suspect that there's still something odd going on in that area with regards to some people not being able to see the 'Thanks' button on the Current Affairs & News board as it's currently configured.

But it still isn't a "normally visible board", you have to be logged on to read the posts in it. This is not the case with "normal" TLF boards, which are visible and readable without being logged on. (Then there is the Searchable 'issue')

It also now seems it has user settings associated with it that most users (I would guess) knew nothing about. (I didn't)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2021, 4:13 pm

...Still cannot find "Triple lock must go!" or "Pork-fed chickens?" with Google search, even when logged in and 'joined PD'. :!:

But then, given the nature of the board, this may well be desired by TLF management. Then again, as per my original point in Room 101...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2021, 4:42 pm

...It's weirder than that.

I just tried to 'unjoin PD' and found I am already not a 'member', even though I only just 'joined' and can still, now, see the Thanks button in POLITE DEBATE & DISCUSSION board after having 'joined PD'. Sigh...

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » July 11th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Juat to add although I'm subscribed to the Polite Discussion group and can see the Thanks button on "Current Affairs and News" I can't see the Thanks button on the other boards in Polite Debate & Discussion ie "The Economy" and "The Meaning of Life"

Of course that might be how things are meant to be - but it seems strange since the Thanks button is now allowed on "Current Affairs and News".

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2021, 5:17 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Juat to add although I'm subscribed to the Polite Discussion group and can see the Thanks button on "Current Affairs and News" I can't see the Thanks button on the other boards in Polite Debate & Discussion ie "The Economy" and "The Meaning of Life"
Of course that might be how things are meant to be - but it seems strange since the Thanks button is now allowed on "Current Affairs and News".

I can't see them on there (the 2 boards you mention) either and I'm subscribed the same as you

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 11th, 2021, 5:20 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Juat to add although I'm subscribed to the Polite Discussion group and can see the Thanks button on "Current Affairs and News" I can't see the Thanks button on the other boards in Polite Debate & Discussion ie "The Economy" and "The Meaning of Life"

Likewise.

ursaminortaur wrote:Of course that might be how things are meant to be - but it seems strange since the Thanks button is now allowed on "Current Affairs and News".

My guess: policy is to not have Thanks in Polite Debate & Discussion board. This matter of Thanks in "Current Affairs and News" being turned on by a state transition in the old PD board membership user settings is the anomaly.

Anyway, I am now so confused over what I could/can/can't/will/won't see of Thanks - which I don't use - in the PD&D board that I'll just forget about it. I was only ever really interested because of the unknown PD user settings and how they might have a bearing on the searchability issue. As they seem now to be an unconnected issue they don't really affect me.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”