Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Site Upgrade and other Site Updates

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Site Upgrade and other Site Updates

Postby Clariman » November 9th, 2021, 11:16 am

This is a reminder that we will be migrating the site to a more up to date code-base in the near future. Stooz will provide details about the schedule.

We will also be making some small, but noticeable, changes to the board structure and the purpose of some boards. Most relate to this board and this board group.

Rationale
Although we all welcome new users, the forum structure isn't helpful to newbies. Firstly there is little in the way of introductory information about the site or 'how to get started'. Secondly, the first thing they see is the Lemon Lounge which is general chat that has nothing to do with the site's main content.

Changes
  • The Forum group that just has an "Announcements" board will be renamed to "About the Site". Within this will be two new boards. A "Welcome to the Site" board will have useful content for new members and give them somewhere to introduce themselves if they wish. The other new board will be "Improve the Site - Suggestions (constructive only)".
  • This board "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" will go. Or more accurately it will be split in two. Constructive suggestions (of which there are many, thank you) will go in the new "Improve the Site" board described above. Any complaints and issues will be handled by an expanded Room 101, probably called "Room 101 - Issues and Escalations" which will remain in the "Any other business" group. Note - general moderation discussion will still not be permitted.
  • The "Lemon Lounge" group will be moved further down the list. The community aspect of TLF remains important so this is not an attempt to relegate it, but it shouldn't be the first thing new users see when they visit the site. It will probably go in between "Managing Your Finances" and "Lemon-Aid".
  • "The Economy" board will move into one of the main Investment groups.

These changes are independent of the Site Upgrade so may happen before or after.

Clariman

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Site Upgrade and other Site Updates

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 9th, 2021, 11:26 am

Looking forward to seeing it Mr C :)

But it can't go without saying thank you to you and Stooz for the efforts you are putting in to improving the site.

Thank you both

Take care

AiY

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 9th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Clariman wrote:The Forum group that just has an "Announcements" board will be renamed to "About the Site". Within this will be two new boards. A "Welcome to the Site" board will have useful content for new members and give them somewhere to introduce themselves if they wish. The other new board will be "Improve the Site - Suggestions (constructive only)".

I would suggest that there should also be a board for announcements of absences from the site, whether for a known and reasonably lengthy period (long enough that people are likely to notice and wonder whether anything is wrong - maybe a minimum of a month?), or indefinitely (e.g. https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31669), or permanently (e.g. https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29744 and viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29760).

Note that I say "announcements of absences", not "posts about absences". I.e. I'm not suggesting a place where speculating about someone's unannounced absence is welcome, just where someone can announce factual information about an absence or firmly-intended absence.

Clariman wrote:This board "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" will go. Or more accurately it will be split in two. Constructive suggestions (of which there are many, thank you) will go in the new "Improve the Site" board described above. Any complaints and issues will be handled by an expanded Room 101, probably called "Room 101 - Issues and Escalations" which will remain in the "Any other business" group. Note - general moderation discussion will still not be permitted.

Will the 'Room 101' prohibition on anyone other than the person raising the issue and moderators/admins contributing to a thread remain on the 'expanded Room 101'?

If the restriction does remain, then issues like "The site is very slow for me today - anyone else experiencing this?" will end up belonging on neither board - it's not a suggestion, constructive or otherwise, but such a post becomes completely pointless if other ordinary users aren't allowed to respond.

If the restriction doesn't remain, the 'expanded Room 101' board is going to get the debates between ordinary users about whether something is or isn't a problem, and how it should be solved if it is one, that led to the current Room 101 acquiring the restriction (or possibly to it being enforced much more vigorously than it once was).

Gengulphus

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 9th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Clariman wrote:[*]This board "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" will go. Or more accurately it will be split in two. Constructive suggestions (of which there are many, thank you) will go in the new "Improve the Site" board described above. Any complaints and issues will be handled by an expanded Room 101, probably called "Room 101 - Issues and Escalations" which will remain in the "Any other business" group

Sorry, not clear ... do you mean that all of the existing posts in this board currently and up to the time of the split will be moved into the new "Improve the Site" and expanded Room 101 boards?

Or do you mean that the current "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" board and all of its contents (back to 2016) will simply be deleted and the new "Improve the Site" and expanded Room 101 boards will start from scratch?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 9th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Will the 'Room 101' prohibition on anyone other than the person raising the issue and moderators/admins contributing to a thread remain on the 'expanded Room 101'?

If the restriction does remain, then issues like "The site is very slow for me today - anyone else experiencing this?" will end up belonging on neither board - it's not a suggestion, constructive or otherwise, but such a post becomes completely pointless if other ordinary users aren't allowed to respond.

If the restriction doesn't remain, the 'expanded Room 101' board is going to get the debates between ordinary users about whether something is or isn't a problem, and how it should be solved if it is one, that led to the current Room 101 acquiring the restriction (or possibly to it being enforced much more vigorously than it once was).

Good point. There may be an argument for having separate boards e.g. "Room 101 - Escalations" and "Room 102 - Issues and Concerns"

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 9th, 2021, 5:25 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Clariman wrote:[*]This board "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" will go. Or more accurately it will be split in two. Constructive suggestions (of which there are many, thank you) will go in the new "Improve the Site" board described above. Any complaints and issues will be handled by an expanded Room 101, probably called "Room 101 - Issues and Escalations" which will remain in the "Any other business" group

Sorry, not clear ... do you mean that all of the existing posts in this board currently and up to the time of the split will be moved into the new "Improve the Site" and expanded Room 101 boards?

Or do you mean that the current "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" board and all of its contents (back to 2016) will simply be deleted and the new "Improve the Site" and expanded Room 101 boards will start from scratch?

Not sure yet. In principle I'm happy to keep the content, but if it is too much work to go through it topic by topic then I'm not promising. One option would be to rename the board but lock it as an archive somewhere.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 9th, 2021, 6:06 pm

On a technical issue the new code base is quicker, and a following upgrade on a few months will add even more speed

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 10th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Clariman wrote:[*]"The Economy" board will move into one of the main Investment groups.[/list]

Thank you

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 10th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Clariman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

Not sure yet. In principle I'm happy to keep the content, but if it is too much work to go through it topic by topic then I'm not promising. One option would be to rename the board but lock it as an archive somewhere.

Or simply just rename this board to "Improve the Site" and leave all posts as be. If anyone does revive an old thread that's considered OT under the new regime folks can then simply be redirected to the expanded Room 101, and in the meanwhile all of the history back to the 2016 Biscuit Bar is preserved for posterity. Seems like the path of least effort too. :D

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 11th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Can I be the first to notice that the Lemon looks as if it has nipples :lol:

Well done on what seems to have been a seemless upgrade

AiY

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 11th, 2021, 5:16 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Well done on what seems to have been a seemless upgrade

AiY

That's because it hasn't happened yet :lol: Or has it?

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm

No. Sorry. Tried to do it earlier and failed..

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 14th, 2021, 2:41 pm

I take it you know the post edit window icons are currently not working? Formatting text has to be done by manually editing in the BBCode

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 14th, 2021, 2:46 pm

XFool wrote:I take it you know the post edit window icons are currently not working? Formatting text has to be done by manually editing in the BBCode

I assume you mean the Bold, Italic, Underline etc icons?

Seems to be OK for me

--kiloran

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 14th, 2021, 3:53 pm

kiloran wrote:
XFool wrote:I take it you know the post edit window icons are currently not working? Formatting text has to be done by manually editing in the BBCode

I assume you mean the Bold, Italic, Underline etc icons?

Seems to be OK for me

--kiloran

Yes.

And indeed it is also working for me as well now (with no restart of browser or PC), so a temporary glitch. The question is: At whose end?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 5th, 2021, 7:52 pm

WRT: viewtopic.php?p=463336#p463336

A very small suggestion: How about "Room 102" instead being called "Room 101A"?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 5th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Board moves and updates happening this week. Further updates and news here viewtopic.php?f=101&t=32389

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 6th, 2021, 9:29 am

Could a standard user (i.e. not a Mod or Admin) create a test post on the new "Suggestions" board please - here https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=104

I only need one just to check I have set it up correctly, but no harm if 2 people do them at the same time.

Thanks
C

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 6th, 2021, 9:41 am

Clariman wrote:Could a standard user (i.e. not a Mod or Admin) create a test post on the new "Suggestions" board please - here https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=104

I only need one just to check I have set it up correctly, but no harm if 2 people do them at the same time.

Thanks
C

Can't see an option to add a new post/topic.
But that might be user error

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 6th, 2021, 9:58 am

servodude wrote:
Clariman wrote:Could a standard user (i.e. not a Mod or Admin) create a test post on the new "Suggestions" board please - here https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=104

Thanks
C

Can't see an option to add a new post/topic.
But that might be user error

Ditto.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”