Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Gengulphus

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Mapfumo
Lemon Pip

Gengulphus

Postby Mapfumo » January 11th, 2022, 12:49 pm

I've just heard the very sad news that the IRL person who I'm 99% sure posted here (and for nearly 2 decades on TMF) under the username Gengulphus passed away suddenly and unexpectedly after Christmas from an undetected tumour, in his mid-sixties.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Gengulphus

Postby Hallucigenia » January 11th, 2022, 1:14 pm

Bugger - that's a blow.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 11th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Bugger - that's a blow.

agreed. Sad news

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 11th, 2022, 1:25 pm

That is such dreadful, dreadful news. He was indeed a prolific poster here. His very detailed analysis of whatever he cared to post about usually uncovered many nuances that lesser individuals (like me) hadn't even perceived.

My condolences to his family in case they should ever read this.

Chris

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 11th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Mapfumo wrote:I've just heard the very sad news that the IRL person who I'm 99% sure posted here (and for nearly 2 decades on TMF) under the username Gengulphus passed away suddenly and unexpectedly after Christmas from an undetected tumour, in his mid-sixties.

Oh, that is terrible news. At such a young age too. I am probably the only person here who knew who he was in "real life". I don't think you all realise what a fantastic contribution he and his colleagues made to the UK technology industry. I'm absolutely gutted as I worked in the same industry and understand what a pioneer he was.

Si
Last edited by simoan on January 11th, 2022, 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 11th, 2022, 1:30 pm

So sorry to hear that and my thoughts are with his family. His posts were always meticulous and thorough.

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » January 11th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Terribly sad news. He must be one of the most generous contributors I've ever come across on the internet, both with his time (his comprehensive posts must have taken a while to type) and his knowledge.

Hopefully his family may see this and get a sense of the high esteem in which he was held.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 11th, 2022, 1:46 pm

Awful news. A greatly respected figure.
His careful, thoughtful and precise analyses were gold standard.
He was one of the shoulders upon which we stood.
He will be sorely missed.
Sincere condolences to his family and wider circle.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 11th, 2022, 1:48 pm

I am really sad to hear this.

When I first joined TMF one of my ambitions was to to learn enough to understand one of his lengthy posts. Not sure I ever fully managed it.

Paul

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 11th, 2022, 2:16 pm

How awful for his family. Condolences to them, should they see this. As others have said far more eloquently than I could, he was a major part of this site and TMF before it.

I'm pleased (if that word is appropriate) that we at least got to know. I often wonder when posters disappear whether they have simply decided to leave, or worse.

Knowing is some small consolation and gives an opportunity to reflect on what we shall all miss

Mapfumo
Lemon Pip

Postby Mapfumo » January 11th, 2022, 2:49 pm

Having spoken to Simoan, I can remove the "I'm 99% certain" proviso from my original post - it is indeed the correct person. He is survived by siblings, but I don't have a way to contact them to pass on condolences here.

To echo Simoan's comment, Gengulphus made some significant contributions to technology in the 1980s and 1990s that have ended up being used by most adults on the planet on a daily basis. He was a lovely, kind, generous man in addition to being phenomenally clever with a gift for explaining things in terms that lesser brains could follow.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 11th, 2022, 3:33 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I am really sad to hear this.
When I first joined TMF one of my ambitions was to to learn enough to understand one of his lengthy posts. Not sure I ever fully managed it.
Paul

Like Paul, his posts were very informative but I never got to the end of one (wish I had now)
I would like to echo the sentiments of others, it is always a sad day when we lose one of our own

RIP Gengulphus

Paul

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 11th, 2022, 4:03 pm

Such sad news. I learned a lot from him, despite me not being able to understand everything he said. He will be missed by many I am sure.

MM

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 11th, 2022, 5:23 pm

That is indeed sad, he was erudite, knowledgeable and unfailingly polite.

Best wishes to his family, I really appreciated his comments and learned vastly from what he wrote.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 11th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Gengulphus was a giant among posters.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 11th, 2022, 6:21 pm

simoan wrote:
Mapfumo wrote:I've just heard the very sad news that the IRL person who I'm 99% sure posted here (and for nearly 2 decades on TMF) under the username Gengulphus passed away suddenly and unexpectedly after Christmas from an undetected tumour, in his mid-sixties.

Oh, that is terrible news. At such a young age too. I am probably the only person here who knew who he was in "real life". I don't think you all realise what a fantastic contribution he and his colleagues made to the UK technology industry. I'm absolutely gutted as I worked in the same industry and understand what a pioneer he was.

Si

Yes, far too young. I'm not sure you're right that you're the only person who knew who he was for real ... I remember in TMF days the occasional folk (I don't think you) saying they'd figured out who he was, claiming it was fairly "obvious" from snippets he'd given away, and his style, as he was a known and respected person in his field. Of course, they may have just been wrong!

In any case, if anyone does manage to contact his family and point them at this thread, maybe they can ask if it'd be ok if he was "outed", so we can know what a pioneer we've lost.... (understandable if they say no).

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 11th, 2022, 6:26 pm

What a terrible thing for his family and friends.

Gengulphus was one of the best.
He could be relied upon to tease out the essence of a problem, and had no superior when it came to analysis. I should think all of us must at some time, have benefitted from his input, and particularly with regard to explanations of company share dealings and changes. Some of us will have had the experience of being corrected by him after writing something which was not quite accurate and I was always grateful for that, and the occasions on which he spotted an error in what I had done. Further, he could always be relied upon to come forward with exacting historical research when it came to companies and HYP history, like no other person here, in my view.

I can scarcely believe we have lost him, and we will certainly miss him.

RIP Gengulphus and thanks for everything: you were the master and the go-to reference for what was correct and what was not.

Arborbridge

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 11th, 2022, 7:02 pm

mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:

Si

Yes, far too young. I'm not sure you're right that you're the only person who knew who he was for real ... I remember in TMF days the occasional folk (I don't think you) saying they'd figured out who he was, claiming it was fairly "obvious" from snippets he'd given away, and his style, as he was a known and respected person in his field. Of course, they may have just been wrong!

In any case, if anyone does manage to contact his family and point them at this thread, maybe they can ask if it'd be ok if he was "outed", so we can know what a pioneer we've lost.... (understandable if they say no).

Personally, I don’t feel it is right to out anyone. He knew I knew who he was and sent me a personal message as he was rightly concerned about privacy. I found out by accident when researching a small company in which he had a notifiable interest and his real name was disclosed in RNS holding announcements. I happened to have a technical book by an author of the same name.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 11th, 2022, 7:09 pm

simoan wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:

Personally, I don’t feel it is right to out anyone. He knew I knew who he was and sent me a personal message as he was rightly concerned about privacy. I found out by accident when researching a small company in which he had a notifiable interest and his real name was disclosed in RNS holding announcements. I happened to have a technical book by an author of the same name.

Yes and I can also recall G talking about how he valued his privacy and anonymity here and on TMF.

So I think it is preferable for those who figure out his identity to keep it to themselves.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 11th, 2022, 7:13 pm

simoan wrote:Personally, I don’t feel it is right to out anyone. He knew I knew who he was and sent me a personal message as he was rightly concerned about privacy. I found out by accident when researching a small company in which he had a notifiable interest and his real name was disclosed in RNS holding announcements. I happened to have a technical book by an author of the same name.

As I say, I feel the decision should be up to the family, certainly not any poster here (one way or the other).

I must say I'm curious as to how his real name being in an RNS lead you to make the link to his TMF/TLF name, but I suppose if you explained that'd give the game away, so best we leave it at that, before interests are piqued further! :D

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”