Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

issue with sizing images

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

issue with sizing images

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2022, 8:38 am

I'm not sure if this is the correct board, or whether it should be elsewhere, but I need some advice or explanation.

Yesterday, I tried to post an image of a chart. This was copied using the same method that I've used previously, but this time I received an error message on preview saying that the image was more than 800 pixels high and couldn't be shown. I cut the image down and posted it, although the image is now a little clipped.

This morning I found an earlier post of mine with a similar image which (according to Photoshop) is 868 pixels high. I tried to preview this and received the same error message: "Your images may only be up to 800 pixels high."
This is strange: I cannot now post an image which I have already posted on December 17th, link here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29043&p=466679&hilit=Arb+acc#p466679

Can anyone explain this, and advise?

Arb.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Re: issue with sizing images

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 3rd, 2022, 10:17 am

I had a similar image size situation in January. I resolved it by cropping a bit, which was OK for me. Just adding here in case it's useful.
https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11255&p=473010#p473010
it's not like your "before" and "after" situation, but hope it might be of use in sorting this.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 3rd, 2022, 11:07 am

I wonder if it was something to do with the site-hosting change, which you've only just brought to light?

Chris

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 3rd, 2022, 1:31 pm

csearle wrote:I wonder if it was something to do with the site-hosting change, which you've only just brought to light?

I wondered that too but that happened in early December whereas the post Arb links to was, as he says, on 17-Dec.

Site Upgrade and other Site Updates (Room 102): viewtopic.php?p=456772#p456772
Site Updates - in the next week (Announcements): viewtopic.php?p=463336#p463336

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2022, 4:15 pm

I feel a bit dumb over this, because I could not find a way of reducing the height in pixels without also cropping my image. Any ideas how to do that, eg in Photoshop?

The mystery is, why my original image which posted in December will not post now. I haven't altered the saved image on my PC since then.

Arb.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 3rd, 2022, 4:19 pm

i too am mystified but in. different way.

I thought all images had to be hosted elsewhere, and a link to the real image address used in the IMG tag. In which case why would it matter to TLF how tall the image is?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 3rd, 2022, 4:26 pm

Arborbridge wrote:...I could not find a way of reducing the height in pixels without also cropping my image. Any ideas how to do that, eg in Photoshop?

The trick is to Resize the image rather than crop it. Most image apps, even MS Paint, have a Resize option. You'll have to option of preserving the aspect ratio or resizing height and width independently.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/us ... image.html
Last edited by Breelander on March 3rd, 2022, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2022, 4:29 pm

Breelander wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:...I could not find a way of reducing the height in pixels without also cropping my image. Any ideas how to do that, eg in Photoshop?

The trick is to Resize the image rather than crop it. Most image apps, even MS Paint, have a Resize option.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using ... image.html

I tried resize/image and resize/canvas to no avail. Whatever I did last time, just resulted in clipping the image.

I'll go back and try again: I must have missed something.

Arb.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 3rd, 2022, 4:30 pm

and they don't have to be 800 high on here either
they take up too much of the page especially where people insist on quoting them (sigh)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 3rd, 2022, 4:32 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Breelander wrote:

The trick is to Resize the image rather than crop it. Most image apps, even MS Paint, have a Resize option.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using ... image.html

I tried resize/image and resize/canvas to no avail. Whatever I did last time, just resulted in clipping the image.

I'll go back and try again: I must have missed something.

Arb.

Resize the image not the canvas
ensure that you have none it selected
good luck

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2022, 4:34 pm

Mike4 wrote:i too am mystified but in. different way.

I thought all images had to be hosted elsewhere, and a link to the real image address used in the IMG tag. In which case why would it matter to TLF how tall the image is?

On imgur.com there is an option to copy to BBCode, then paste onto TLF. That's what I usually use anyhow. Not sure about other methods.

Arb.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 3rd, 2022, 4:35 pm

I have noticed this "800" error message recently also.
To get round it I open the image in windows photo viewer. Right click on the image and select resize. Select "Define custom dimensions". Set height to 800. Save the image, then use the normal imgur procedure, works for me.
Hope this helps.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 3rd, 2022, 7:17 pm

stooz was talking (amongst the mods) about changing it to actually host the images. I forget how that conversation ended. Maybe he went ahead and did it. Or, maybe the images remain hosted elsewhere but only smaller ones will be displayed?

Chris

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 3rd, 2022, 7:44 pm

csearle wrote:

stooz was talking (amongst the mods) about changing it to actually host the images. I forget how that conversation ended. Maybe he went ahead and did it. Or, maybe the images remain hosted elsewhere but only smaller ones will be displayed?

Chris

What puzzled me was Arb in Post 5 of this thread seeming to write about posting images currently saved on his computer hard drive. I've never been able to do that!

"The mystery is, why my original image which posted in December will not post now. I haven't altered the saved image on my PC since then."

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » March 3rd, 2022, 8:16 pm

A long time ago, I found a really simple tool called "A Smaller Image", which did what it says on the tin, and was very simple to use. A quick look up shows it still exists, and hopefully has remained simple to use.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2022, 10:36 pm

Mike4 wrote:
csearle wrote:

Chris

What puzzled me was Arb in Post 5 of this thread seeming to write about posting images currently saved on his computer hard drive. I've never been able to do that!

"The mystery is, why my original image which posted in December will not post now. I haven't altered the saved image on my PC since then."

The images of my charts are generated either in excel or my portfolio program which generates charts. I then take screenshots which I put into photoshop to crop, then I save them as .pdf files. That's why they are on my PC. From there when I want to publish them, I upload to imgur.com which makes the BBCode file.

How do you/would you do it?

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2022, 10:39 pm

Bminusrob wrote:A long time ago, I found a really simple tool called "A Smaller Image", which did what it says on the tin, and was very simple to use. A quick look up shows it still exists, and hopefully has remained simple to use.

Googling A Smaller Image didn't bring it up. Do you have a link?

I have used XAT.com but I think that just reduces the number of pixels in total by reducing the information contained within the image, to reduce the file size.

Arb.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 3rd, 2022, 11:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
csearle wrote:

Chris

The images of my charts are generated either in excel or my portfolio program which generates charts. I then take screenshots which I put into photoshop to crop, then I save them as .pdf files. That's why they are on my PC. From there when I want to publish them, I upload to imgur.com which makes the BBCode file.

How do you/would you do it?

Arb.

I publish images directly on one of my own websites so I can insert them here.

It just sounded as though you had found a way around this and could insert images directly instead of using an image host!

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » March 4th, 2022, 9:46 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Bminusrob wrote:A long time ago, I found a really simple tool called "A Smaller Image", which did what it says on the tin, and was very simple to use. A quick look up shows it still exists, and hopefully has remained simple to use.

I have used XAT.com but I think that just reduces the number of pixels in total by reducing the information contained within the image, to reduce the file size.

Arb.

I had another look,and installed the program. Unfortunately, while it still has the very simple UI, it now has a watermark on the result. There is a link to get the full version (http://www.trivista.com), but this link seems to have been moved to a different business, so I think this may be the end of the road. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 4th, 2022, 11:04 am

Bminusrob wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

I had another look,and installed the program. Unfortunately, while it still has the very simple UI, it now has a watermark on the result. There is a link to get the full version (http://www.trivista.com), but this link seems to have been moved to a different business, so I think this may be the end of the road. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Not to worry. I'm sure I will find another route.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”