Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

The Reparations topic

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Lootman
The full Lemon

The Reparations topic

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2023, 9:40 am

So this topic from yesterday was first blocked pending review, and then completely removed.

As it happens I read the entire topic and I am very familiar with the posting guidelines. And whilst anything about race is sensitive, at least to some, I could see no possible violation of the TLF rules.

The OP (not me) wrote about a report of an outrageously large claim for reparations for slavery from the West Indies, and there was a fair amount of satire and criticism expressed about that.

Can anyone explain what TLF rule was broken in that topic? Not just in any one post that could have been excised, but the entire thread? It barely seems possible that the subject of reparations itself is somehow seen as not suitable for discussion here.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Reparations topic

Postby Gerry557 » August 23rd, 2023, 11:05 am

I posted a sarcastic comment as the issue is riddled with technical issues and complex problems, many silly really.

I didn't see anything I would deem of needing censorship but suspect it could lead to some racial issues being raised.

So if it was my attempt at humour sorry.

Then again I'm not a moderator so I wasn't looking too hard at things. I would have thought that the individual issue would be addressed rather than the whole thing being torn down.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2023, 11:36 am

Gerry557 wrote:I posted a sarcastic comment as the issue is riddled with technical issues and complex problems, many silly really.

I didn't see anything I would deem of needing censorship but suspect it could lead to some racial issues being raised.

So if it was my attempt at humour sorry.

Then again I'm not a moderator so I wasn't looking too hard at things. I would have thought that the individual issue would be addressed rather than the whole thing being torn down.

That is the thing. Posts often get removed, or a topic is frozen, but the historical record of the topic remains in place. The only reason I have heard given by TLF Admin for removing all trace of a topic is exposure to a legal liability. But it is hard to see what such exposure might have existed here.

And yes, there might have been a fear that the topic would get out of hand. But at the point of the action that was clearly not the case.

So it is a mystery. And without an explanation none of us are any the wiser about what we did wrong. And that means that we will probably do it again. If there is a list of topics that are officially deemed too sensitive to discuss on CAN/TLF then maybe they should be stated so that we all know what subjects to avoid here.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 23rd, 2023, 2:58 pm

Stooz requested its deletion after it was brought to his attention after the topic was reported by another user. I think he felt it was veering towards breaking site rules so best nipped in the bud.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 23rd, 2023, 3:06 pm

Things (and life) were so much simpler when posts were only about investment matters. Ah, those were the (good old) days. :) ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 23rd, 2023, 3:25 pm

Clariman wrote:Stooz requested its deletion after it was brought to his attention after the topic was reported by another user. I think he felt it was veering towards breaking site rules so best nipped in the bud.

OK but if it was only "veering" towards breaking the rules then block further posts by all means. But why delete what was already there that did not break the rules? And why no warning that is the usual remedy in such a situation?

It left me wondering what the problem really was, and perhaps others too. Are you or Stooz of the opinion that some topics are just too delicate to be discussed here?

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”