Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Friend or Foe

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Friend or Foe

Postby Bubblesofearth » March 26th, 2024, 4:45 pm

Can someone please advise what it means to 'friend' or 'foe' someone on TLF? I've never tried either as not sure what the consequences are nor felt any need to press those buttons.

BoE

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Friend or Foe

Postby Urbandreamer » March 26th, 2024, 5:11 pm

faq.php#f6r0

Personally I don't use either feature.

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » March 26th, 2024, 5:30 pm

I have one person on my foes list. He's on it because he twice made statements that are false. On balance I don't want to read any more of his posts - though I'm sure some of his posts contain useful info. (No I'm not going to say who it is.)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 26th, 2024, 10:57 pm

My understanding of it is that a "friend" can quickly be selected when sending PMs and a "foe" can be selected to hide their posts thereby aiding in de-escalation, which helps keep the boards nice. I have no foes because I want to be able to evaluate any tosh/wisdom to which they espouse. C.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 27th, 2024, 5:40 am

I have lots of foes, people who are rude, or who's opinions I view as worthless. Life is too short.

What happens is their post is replaced with a one line message, so its not a solution for triggering. You can ask to see the blocked content. The software is poor as it flags a conversation as having new content even if just a foe posts.

You see quotes others make from foes. This shows that rude idiots don't change.

You are notified when a foe comments on your post. I generally ignore that too.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 27th, 2024, 7:23 am

Aren't you liable to end up chatting to yourself. There are lots of people I disagree with but I still like to see their different views even if its only to confirm my own.

There are also levels of rude which sometimes appear worse due to lack of body language.

I'm often sarcastic in replies. It's ment to be humorous and I try to add a smiley. So sorry if I've come across differently in the past.

Although if I've been rude or worthless previously I'm likely to get ignored anyway. There are some people who play the man not the ball and often get called out. Hopefully they can learn to behave better before the mods address them.

I don't have any foes but I might be someone else's but how would I know :shock:

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 27th, 2024, 7:29 am

JohnB wrote:I have lots of foes, people who are rude, or who's opinions I view as worthless. Life is too short.

Not sure if I'm still on JohnB's foe list, but I was. (He told me when he added me to the list, which seemed a pointless comment)

Sadly recorded facts are sometimes not welcome, see previous post from someone who uses the foe list to self censor posts from someone who makes what they believe are erroneous claims. JohnB and I are never going to agree upon a certain subject, but I have a tendency to point out when he is factually wrong upon that subject. He does not want to examine those facts.

I have never added him to my foe list as on other subjects I respect his opinions.

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » March 27th, 2024, 8:34 am

Urbandreamer wrote:...
Sadly recorded facts are sometimes not welcome, see previous post from someone who uses the foe list to self censor posts from someone who makes what they believe are erroneous claims. JohnB and I are never going to agree upon a certain subject, but I have a tendency to point out when he is factually wrong upon that subject. He does not want to examine those facts.

I always welcome factual corrections - though if I have a strongly held view based (in part) on false statements, it will be painful for me to read the corrections. I would always take note of them though. I'd need to modify my view or give it up.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 27th, 2024, 8:48 am

i didnt even know there were such options!

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » March 27th, 2024, 9:46 am

I have a few people on my foe list. They are mainly people who seem to enjoy contradicting for the sake of it.

It's interesting to see the threads with a lot of foe posts on as although I can't see the foe posts, the threads are none the worst for that; in fact they are usually much better, surprisingly.

There is a lot of repetition on here nowadays; people arguing repeatedly from their same old entrenched positions. All seems a bit boring and pointless. Usual futile subjects are, Brexit, Technology, Buy to Let, Gender identification, Immigration etc etc.

I'm not an active poster on here nowadays as one of my posts elicited a quite disgusting response from one of the usual suspects (who is now definitely a foe). I'm pleased to say that the moderators removed the offending post. They usually do a good job within their parameters.

For those of you who will see this, I think the Foe system works well. It's there for a reason. I can recommend it.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 27th, 2024, 12:32 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Aren't you liable to end up chatting to yourself. There are lots of people I disagree with but I still like to see their different views even if its only to confirm my own.

Same here. I do not have any foes.

And to my knowledge, nobody has me as a foe. If they do then my posts stand unchallenged and I get the last word. That works. :D

There are maybe only 3 or so active Lemons who annoy me. The worst offender is currently taking another one of his sulky sabbaticals from TLF and the place is better for it.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 27th, 2024, 9:04 pm

clissold345 wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:...

I always welcome factual corrections - though if I have a strongly held view based (in part) on false statements, it will be painful for me to read the corrections. I would always take note of them though. I'd need to modify my view or give it up.

I apologize if you thought the fact that I referenced your requirement for honesty in facts as a fault. My point was that some do not have that attitude.

Without getting to far into JohnB's and my differences I believe that they revolve around energy use and climate change. I believe that we have similar views about the importance of that subject. However I am a fan of something that consumes a lot of electricity.

We have argued about where that electricity comes from. Where it can come from in the future etc. I have pointed out uses of the waste heat, or use of stranded energy that can't otherwise be used. Studies in it's use in demand side management.

He want's that source of consumption gone. I don't, and desire a low carbon provision of that electricity. Sadly evidence that such is possible or happening is NOT acceptable. Any use of electricity for that purpose is unacceptable. Any facts that it may not be as bad as claimed by it's detractors are not helpful to his position, which he holds inviolate. Hence He doesn't want to hear those facts.

Ps, I've tried to be very careful in my words. On this subject I hold a low opinion of JohnB, but given his use of the foe tag I could in fact accuse him of really offensive stuff, or put whatever words in his mouth that I chose. I'd hope that people might research and such actions would lead to a truly low opinion of me, had I done so.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”