Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Singing swede

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Singing swede

Postby midnightcatprowl » November 20th, 2017, 11:15 am

I've always loved swede but only occasionally eat it because of the wretched business of trying to peel it and chop it up and then it takes so long to boil or steam to the point where you can mash it. Just came across and tried out this method - which seems to have been around for quite a while but I'd never heard of it.

Put whole unpeeled swede in microwave. Do NOT prick it. Microwave on high for approx 25 minutes, may need more time or less according to size of swede and power of your microwave. Turn swede over approx half way through cooking. Swede may 'sing' but it won't explode.

Remove from microwave, slice into it and scoop out contents which are already pretty much mashed for you but you can bash the cooked swede a bit more if you like - I was too busy eating mine! Results: swede perfection. Chill or freeze what you don't need for later use.

Now before everyone says 'I've been cooking mine like that for the last 30 years' my response is 'Then why have you never told me about it?'

Lynn

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Re: Singing swede

Postby Brava21 » December 6th, 2017, 7:49 am

Hi Lynn

Thank you so much for posting this. I for one had never heard of this method of cooking swede (which seems odd, given the amount of cookery shows Mr B and I seem to watch - it would be interesting to know if other Lemons did know all about it and if so, where they got it from).

Anyway, we are having a roast chicken tonight and I was fancying some mashed swede to go with it so thought I'd give it a go. I confess I was a little apprehensive as I put the swede in the microwave; despite your reassurances I was a bit worried that it might explode (it felt a little like doing a school science experiment!). Of course it didn't, and I can confirm that following the instructions in your post worked superbly. The swede was absolutely wonderful. I was amazed at how soft it was; it simply scooped away from the skin beautifully (as potato flesh scoops away from its skin once baked). I put it straight into a bowl, breaking it up further (gently) with a small knife whilst simultaneously mixing in salt, pepper and a knob of butter. It's delicious.

This really is an absolute revelation (sometimes it's the simple things that make you happy, isn't it?!) and a game changer in swede cooking for me. It was all done in half an hour, and I reflected on the fact that chopping up that same swede in my usual way would have taken at least that (I am devoid of knife skills, you see, so that sort of thing does take me time) and then I'd have to boil the living daylights out of it before I could mash it. So for me, this took about half the time it would have...and I think the microwaved 'baked' swede is a better result, with a nicer texture.

Thank you again Lynn and if anyone else has any handy tips for cooking stuff that others may not know about...do please post. I would love to hear them, and I promise to do the 'school science experiment' and report back!

Brava x

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 7th, 2017, 5:03 pm

A great tip, the next time we have swede I'll give it a go. I love swede mashed to together with boiled potatoes, plent of butter and salt and pepper. Around here it's known as ponch mipe and is really tasty especially if you have it with bacon and be really sinful and pour some bacon fat over it.

R6

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » December 7th, 2017, 6:15 pm

I'm wondering if the microwave method could be used for a whole celeriac. Anybody tried it?

Tricia

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 7th, 2017, 9:27 pm

I'm wondering if the microwave method could be used for a whole celeriac. Anybody tried it?

Oddly enough this query occurred to me too when I was walking past a Garden Centre Restaurant today and their menu board for lunch was headed by parsnip & celeraic soup.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 14th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Okay, I tried cooking a celeraic by the 'singing swede' method in the microwave. I decided it was feasible because, like swede. celeraic when harvested has the roots cut off so you have a 'raw' peel free section at the base which allows the escape of air/juice without the need to prick the vegetable before cooking.

I microwaved the unpricked celeraic in exactly the way advised for swedes. I placed it in a perspex dish to catch any liquid. I placed it on one side and turned it over half way through the cooking time.

I've always been shall we say 'so so' about celeraic. I've tried it from time to time but it is an expensive vegetable for what seemed like indifferent results plus a lot of bother with peeling. Now I almost wish I hadn't tried the 'Singing Celeraic' method because the results were so scrumptious and so easy to produce that I'm going to be tempted to buy the ugly things all the time.

So be bold folks. Stick a celeraic whole unpeeled and unpricked in the microwave and then scoop out the delicious results.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 14th, 2017, 10:17 pm

How long do you recommend cooking the celeriac for? I appreciate it will depend on size of the item and the power of the microwave but a general idea would be a great help.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 15th, 2017, 10:25 am

The celeraic I cooked yesterday looked neither excessively big or excessively small. I microwaved it for 15 minutes on full power with it lying on one side and for another 15 minutes on full power with it lying on the other side. I think, but I'm not certain, that the microwave is 800 watts.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 16th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Thank you, at least that gives me a starting point and I can adjust as necessary.

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Postby Brava21 » January 30th, 2018, 11:51 am

Just bumping up this excellent thread to report that I have just cooked turnips in the exact same manner in readiness for this evening - absolutely delicious! Three turnips, roughly the size of a large apple each, took about 20 minutes in my 1000 watt microwave. The flesh is incredibly soft and with a knob of butter and some black pepper? Yum. A little 'wetter' than swede, but a more delicate taste when cooked like this, I think.

It wasn't so much a case of singing turnips, though, as screeching ones. It sounded like I was torturing those poor veggies in some way...:)

Thanks again, Lynn, I just wish I had known you could do this to veg before now. Celeriac is next...

Brava

Crozzer28

Postby Crozzer28 » August 7th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Brava21 wrote:Hi Lynn

Thank you so much for posting this. I for one had never heard of this method of cooking swede (which seems odd, given the amount of cookery shows Mr B and I seem to watch - it would be interesting to know if other Lemons did know all about it and if so, where they got it from).

Anyway, we are having a roast chicken tonight and I was fancying some mashed swede to go with it so thought I'd give it a go. I confess I was a little apprehensive as I put the swede in the microwave; despite your reassurances I was a bit worried that it might explode (it felt a little like doing a school science experiment!). Of course it didn't, and I can confirm that following the instructions in your post worked superbly. The swede was absolutely wonderful. I was amazed at how soft it was; it simply scooped away from the skin beautifully (as potato flesh scoops away from its skin once baked). I put it straight into a bowl, breaking it up further (gently) with a small knife whilst simultaneously mixing in salt, pepper and a knob of butter. It's delicious.

This really is an absolute revelation (sometimes it's the simple things that make you happy, isn't it?!) and a game changer in swede cooking for me. It was all done in half an hour, and I reflected on the fact that chopping up that same swede in my usual way would have taken at least that (I am devoid of knife skills, you see, so that sort of thing does take me time) and then I'd have to boil the living daylights out of it before I could mash it. So for me, this took about half the time it would have...and I think the microwaved 'baked' swede is a better result, with a nicer texture.

Thank you again Lynn and if anyone else has any handy tips for cooking stuff that others may not know about...do please post. I would love to hear them, and I promise to do the 'school science experiment' and report back!

Brava x

Hi. I am a new member making my first post in reply to the above which is over 3 years old so apologies if I am duplicating another’s respons.
The above post is tantamount to sacrilege!
You peel the skin and mash the flesh? You are missing the tastiest and healthiest part of the swede, i.e. the skin! Try it, you will not regret it.
PS If you have a spare 5-7 minutes give a sweet potato the same treatment but make sure you DO prick the skin as you will have one hell of a mess on your hands if you don’t!

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 9th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Hi Lynn

I don't recall seeing your post, so thanks to Crozzer28 for bringing it up. It seems a great idea, will definately give it a go next time I have sweed or celeriac.

john

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 12th, 2020, 9:50 am

Celeriac bears a passing resemblance to CV19, don't you think?

Oddly enough given its knobbly exterior, it is also very edible raw. Crisp. Try it.

V8

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 20th, 2020, 2:44 pm

88V8 wrote:Celeriac bears a passing resemblance to CV19, don't you think?

Oddly enough given its knobbly exterior, it is also very edible raw. Crisp. Try it.

V8

It is also sponsored by band aid (and I do not mean the Geldof sort). Blended with cream/butter/pepper it is really nice, if you have these metal ring things then filling them,grating some cheese etc on top and grilling adds a slight difference, however it is also responsible for the worst cuts we have ever had in our kitchen.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 20th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:.... however it is also responsible for the worst cuts we have ever had in our kitchen.

Ooops.
So if one has bled into a dish, is it still vegetarian?

And why can one no longer buy those nice sticky fabric plasters that don't fall off when washed?

V8

Return to “Food”