Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Yoghurt

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Yoghurt

Postby Leothebear » November 11th, 2021, 4:13 pm

I decided it was time to discard 6 small pots of fruit yoghurt, from the back of my fridge, which were 2 and 3 months past their 'best before' dates.

I opened each one to rinse out the contents and each one of them smelled and looked fine - no sign of mould.
I'm fairly sure I could have eaten them without any ill effects. Not certain though so out they went.

I've eaten them 2/3 weeks past the bb date but not 8/12 weeks.
Would you have risked it?

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Yoghurt

Postby pje16 » November 11th, 2021, 4:25 pm

was there a "use by date"
Best before is not much use
Ther should be another one
"Still tastes quite good by" :lol:
To answer you
not sure I would risk yoghurt (or anything dairy)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 11th, 2021, 5:15 pm

You probably eat mould in your blue cheese. What could be so bad about eating it in your yoghurt?

Not that the mould would have had much of an air supply to work on, unless the packaging had leaked. I'd say that the bigger problem would have been that the yoghurt had separated out inside the tub, and it might taste a bit rank.

Even so, yog is cheap enough not to have to bother about such things. Around these parts, we paint it onto fresh stonework if we want to 'age' it with a quick growth of lichen. Or sometimes we use watered-down cow manure. Doesn't taste as good as yoghurt, though.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 12th, 2021, 6:46 am

Looks and smells fine - yep, I'd eat them.

At home I tend to be good at consuming fresh food by (or near) the use-by dates. But I've eaten ancient stuff when visiting: why is it so many old people - without being dementia sufferers - can lose track of their food?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 12th, 2021, 8:32 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Looks and smells fine - yep, I'd eat them.

At home I tend to be good at consuming fresh food by (or near) the use-by dates. But I've eaten ancient stuff when visiting: why is it so many old people - without being dementia sufferers - can lose track of their food?

I guess it's because these old people grew up without 'use by' and 'best before' dates well into adulthood.

They've always relied on the odour of the food - and whether or not it has become furry - before deciding whether to eat or it bin it. And don't see any reason to change their ways now.

Watis

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 12th, 2021, 9:22 am

I would be questioning why I had 6 pots of yoghurt that were 3 months past their date in the first place.

A week ago I threw the mouldy baked beans away that were in the fridge. Two days ago I saw the wife transfer the left over baked beans into a container and put them in the fridge. How long should I leave them there?

Seriously if you wanted to eat the Yoghurt then you would have done so by now. Safe or not you didn't. What is causing you to change your mind? Does the fact that it might be less safe encourage you to eat the yoghurt?

As for my baked beans, I must put a note in the diary to throw them out before they grow mould rather than assume that the wife actually had a reason to keep them.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 12th, 2021, 11:38 am

Urbandreamer wrote:As for my baked beans, I must put a note in the diary to throw them out before they grow mould rather than assume that the wife actually had a reason to keep them.

Just be sure to find a use for them today or over the weekend. For example, I expect they'd make a decent enough ingredient to a stir-fry or curry, or a seasonal soup with squash/pumpkin or root veg.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » November 15th, 2021, 11:17 am

Leothebear wrote:I decided it was time to discard 6 small pots of fruit yoghurt, from the back of my fridge, which were 2 and 3 months past their 'best before' dates.

I opened each one to rinse out the contents and each one of them smelled and looked fine - no sign of mould.
I'm fairly sure I could have eaten them without any ill effects. Not certain though so out they went.

I've eaten them 2/3 weeks past the bb date but not 8/12 weeks.
Would you have risked it?

I would have smelled then tasted them, if they seemed ok, I would probably used them. However, I could not possibly imagine leaving anything perishable so long in the fridge! Also ask yourself why you bought them in the first place! No food is ever thrown away in our house, it all gets eaten one way or another. Just this morning I made a cassoulet, even the half clove of garlic I didn't use was wrapped in a piece of film and put in the fridge. The withered carrots went in the cassoulet along with a piece of dried up chorizo and the remaining chorizo will go into a pizza next week or so.

john

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 3rd, 2021, 3:25 pm

From what I remember, the 'sell by' dates are done for insurance reasons and are always very short.

Humans have evolved for millions of years and our noses, taste buds and eyes are usually a good guide as to what is good and what has gone off.

I still remember taking yoghurts to school in the 70s and eating them, even though they had a very fermented taste.

Never did me any harm.

As the nice people in white coats told me! 8-)

Steve

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 3rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

I'm sure they'd be fine, yes, Yoghurt normally goes off either by going green and hairy, or fermenting and going bubbly. If it's done neither of those things I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Return to “Food”