Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

espresso coffee

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: espresso coffee

Postby Mike4 » January 15th, 2022, 10:21 am

mutantpoodle wrote:but in going to review sites its not at all clear which Dolce Gusto machines takes all pods

and most references here do not offer model details...just the name Dolce gusto

When I bought my Dolce Gusto machine on a whim I'd done no research, just saw it on the shelf in a supermarket at a knock-down price and grabbed it. The I wandered over to the coffee aisle and looked for pods and bought a selection.

On getting home, I got a big surprise to find my sparkly new Dolce Gusto machine only takes Dolce Gusto branded pods. Quelle surprise! I'd imagined all brands of pods would fit all brands of machine but it seems not. The various types of pod are very different and with hindsight it is obvious they won't all fit one machine. Maybe there are universal machines out there but I suspect not, and from the sheer variety of pod coffee flavours out there I suggest you start by finding a coffee pod you like then choose a machine it fits.

My Dolce Gusto has no model number on it anywhere but concealed behind the water reservoir is says "Minime Multiple", and on the front of the base it says "Krups". My friend simply refers to it as my "Pingu" as it is clearly designed to look like Pingu! Looks like this:

I'm very pleased with it now I've found a pod I like. If I have a any criticism it would be the water reservoir is too small, but one of the things I like about it is how small the whole machine is, and a bigger reservoir would make the whole machine bigger.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 15th, 2022, 11:30 am

many thanks Mike
I shall only be needing to make espresso, so size of water reservoir not so important
but
your experience with pods is exactly why I am asking if anyone has a model that will definitely take different pods
some of course do
but the manufacturers dont let you know!! they prefer you to need their own pods

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 15th, 2022, 1:21 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:many thanks Mike
I shall only be needing to make espresso, so size of water reservoir not so important

It is more annoying than you'd think when you have to refill it. And espresso takes more water than you'd think. Partly because warming the cup really matters when the shot is small, and the water remaining in the grounds adds to usage.

I don't use pods. But then I'm also one of those weirdos who uses loose leaf tea 8-)

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 15th, 2022, 5:33 pm

The thing about fancy coffee machines is the cleaning, all those pipes and tubes need to be cleaned regularly otherwise over the course of a few weeks the taste slowly moves from fresh and clean towards rancid.

This even applies to something simple like a cafetiere, regularly unscrewing and thoroughly cleaning all the parts will make a big difference to the taste you get, but at least that's reasonably easy to do.

I hate everything about Nespresso, all the hassle of making proper coffee so you can taste something like instant, its pointless.

14bn Nespresso capsules are sold every year and only around 5% get recycled
so that means 13,300,000,000 end up in landfill every year.

And you still have to clean out the machine.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 15th, 2022, 5:43 pm

Lanark wrote:I hate everything about Nespresso, all the hassle of making proper coffee so you can taste something like instant, its pointless.

I have **never** tasted instant coffee that tasted anything like coffee made with a Nespresso.

As for "hassle" - hmm.

1. Turn machine on and wait 20 seconds to heat up
2. Place cup under spout
3. Put capsule in holder
5. Press button
6. Wait 30 seconds for coffee to pour
7. Drink

Lanark wrote:And you still have to clean out the machine.

Or more correctly, you have to descale the machine once a year.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 15th, 2022, 6:42 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lanark wrote:And you still have to clean out the machine.

Or more correctly, you have to descale the machine once a year.

In some places (like most of Scotland) you wouldn't even have to do that.

(Having said that, I use an Aeropress. I'm on my second one, they seem to last about six years each. The stainless steel filter gives better taste than paper filters.)

Scott.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 19th, 2022, 10:41 pm

Midsmartin wrote:Perhaps I was doing it wrong, or using the wrong coffee, but I could never get nice coffee out of a stovetop pot. I quite like somewhat bitter things: sprouts, beer, dark chocolate, coffee... But I found it near impossible to get coffee that was not undrinkably, deeply, bitter from stovetop makers. The Aeropress is controllable in that I can pour in boiling water straight from the kettle, or as I normally do, let it cool for ten seconds in a spare mug first. I agree it's not a real espresso, so maybe not what the op is looking for.

For several years I used a basic Turkish coffee kettle, a cezve. https://www.illy.com/en-us/coffee/coffe ... ish-coffee You can also buy them here, they can be decorative too. In Turkey they cost say £3-4.

A starting point:
Pour 1*your espresso cup of water + about 15-20% more into the pot and begin to heat over your smallest gas ring.
Add two well heaped tea-spoons of fine ground coffee and stir.
As it heats stir occasionally.
As it nears boiling stir a last time and observe closely. It'll form a ring of micro foam bubbles around the side. Let this develop for 5-10secs then remove from heat immediately, or it can madly boil over in seconds!
Off the heat now leave to stand for 30 seconds.
Turks would decant straight from that into the cup but for the unwary the sediment that results can be a surprise and cause... er... gagging.
I use a two layer fine mesh cup sieve like this c£3-4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Master ... 56&sr=8-16 which filters out the grounds almost completely.

This might sound a hassle, but once you've got into the routine around sorting out your breakfast it's simple. Also, despite having owned several kinds of coffee machines, from percolaters, filters, to pod-based machines it produces by far the best and most pungent and tweakable-to-taste and least expensive coffee I have experienced.

... This is how coffee was long made, before people sought to 'simplify it'.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 20th, 2022, 1:08 am

DiamondEcho wrote:For several years I used a basic Turkish coffee kettle, a cezve. https://www.illy.com/en-us/coffee/coffe ... ish-coffee You can also buy them here, they can be decorative too. In Turkey they cost say £3-4.

A starting point:
Pour 1*your espresso cup of water + about 15-20% more into the pot and begin to heat over your smallest gas ring.

So you don't do it the proper way, over sand? ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj7Nnn7ycho

DiamondEcho wrote:I use a two layer fine mesh cup sieve like this c£3-4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Master ... 56&sr=8-16 which filters out the grounds almost completely.

Sacrilege! :D

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 20th, 2022, 9:23 pm

mc2fool wrote:Pour 1*your espresso cup of water + about 15-20% more into the pot and begin to heat over your smallest gas ring.
So you don't do it the proper way, over sand? ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj7Nnn7ycho

Hehe... life there was bonkers enough already without trying to stoke up 'woks' of red-hot sand in the kitchen :)

Return to “Food”