Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to tea42,yyuryyub,Howyoudoin,Anonymous,EverybodyKnows, for Donating to support the site

Nigel Slater

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Dod101
The full Lemon
Posts: 11794
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2830 times
Been thanked: 5186 times

Nigel Slater

#506784

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2022, 8:08 am

This man seems to have been around forever but he has just written what must surely be his opus. Called simply 'A Cook's Book' it is in the form of a narrative with a very large number of recipes thrown in. It is nearly 500 pages, hard covered and the sort of book you could simply read and appreciate his views on cooking, kitchens, appliances and life in general. Beautifully bound and written. As usual he makes it all sound so very simple, and for the most part his recipes are.

Would make a great gift for anyone interested in these topics.

Dod

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3960
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 2137 times
Been thanked: 701 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#506796

Postby didds » June 13th, 2022, 8:49 am

we have a copy of kitchen diary - every recipe a a winner!

100% agree!

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 8367
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 1167 times
Been thanked: 2113 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#506828

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 13th, 2022, 10:54 am

Sounds like something in the tradition of Clement Freud's Below the Belt (which is the only cookbook I've encountered and would ever recommend).

Books of recipes seem to me pretty pointless. But a book that entertains while helping you think and work like a great chef has value.

Eboli
Lemon Slice
Posts: 252
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#506943

Postby Eboli » June 13th, 2022, 6:46 pm

I need some help from Nigel fans.

A couple of years ago I was given the pair of Greenfeast books as a Christmas present. I was very underwhelmed. I'm an omnivore but eat vegetarian (by choice) if I can during the week. I've yet to find a recipe in either of the books that I have wanted to repeat. Now, that just may be the books - they are both a bit farty with their calligraphic squiggles - rather than the author. So if any Nigel fans found these two books below par and can point me in the right direction of another of his offerings, I'd be grateful.

Eb.

Dod101
The full Lemon
Posts: 11794
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2830 times
Been thanked: 5186 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#506957

Postby Dod101 » June 13th, 2022, 7:55 pm

Eboli wrote:I need some help from Nigel fans.

A couple of years ago I was given the pair of Greenfeast books as a Christmas present. I was very underwhelmed. I'm an omnivore but eat vegetarian (by choice) if I can during the week. I've yet to find a recipe in either of the books that I have wanted to repeat. Now, that just may be the books - they are both a bit farty with their calligraphic squiggles - rather than the author. So if any Nigel fans found these two books below par and can point me in the right direction of another of his offerings, I'd be grateful.

Eb.


Count me out. I am neither a Nigel fan nor not. I do not know these books you mention but I very much like his latest.

Dod

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1098
Joined: November 13th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#506969

Postby bluedonkey » June 13th, 2022, 8:44 pm

My OH says the recipe instructions in the book of his she has often miss a key step. That said, I do think he does know what tastes good!

rabbit
Lemon Pip
Posts: 56
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 12:13 am
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507278

Postby rabbit » June 14th, 2022, 11:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:This man seems to have been around forever but he has just written what must surely be his opus. Called simply 'A Cook's Book' it is in the form of a narrative with a very large number of recipes thrown in. It is nearly 500 pages, hard covered and the sort of book you could simply read and appreciate his views on cooking, kitchens, appliances and life in general. Beautifully bound and written. As usual he makes it all sound so very simple, and for the most part his recipes are.

Would make a great gift for anyone interested in these topics.

Dod


Someone else got there first! My dear friend Stella West-Harling, founder of Ashburton Cookery School, wrote her own memoir cum cookbook called 'A Cook's Book' which was published back in 2014 (ISBN 978 0 9930397 0 6). It's a mere 287 pages against Nigel Slater's almost 500, but is beautifully presented too and contains many effective and straightforward recipes that are woven into the story of Stella's eventful life and its many associations with food. Highly recommended.

(As I understand it, titles are not subject to copyright law so there's nothing to stop different people using the same book title.)

Dod101
The full Lemon
Posts: 11794
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2830 times
Been thanked: 5186 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507295

Postby Dod101 » June 15th, 2022, 6:40 am

rabbit wrote:
Dod101 wrote:This man seems to have been around forever but he has just written what must surely be his opus. Called simply 'A Cook's Book' it is in the form of a narrative with a very large number of recipes thrown in. It is nearly 500 pages, hard covered and the sort of book you could simply read and appreciate his views on cooking, kitchens, appliances and life in general. Beautifully bound and written. As usual he makes it all sound so very simple, and for the most part his recipes are.

Would make a great gift for anyone interested in these topics.

Dod


Someone else got there first! My dear friend Stella West-Harling, founder of Ashburton Cookery School, wrote her own memoir cum cookbook called 'A Cook's Book' which was published back in 2014 (ISBN 978 0 9930397 0 6). It's a mere 287 pages against Nigel Slater's almost 500, but is beautifully presented too and contains many effective and straightforward recipes that are woven into the story of Stella's eventful life and its many associations with food. Highly recommended.

(As I understand it, titles are not subject to copyright law so there's nothing to stop different people using the same book title.)


That's interesting. Obviously I did not know that. Might even get your friend's book. I am not a great cook but I enjoy that sort of book. Shame about the title clash although I doubt that Slater would have deliberately pinched it.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon
Posts: 11794
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2830 times
Been thanked: 5186 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507296

Postby Dod101 » June 15th, 2022, 7:04 am

Having looked up Stella West Harling it is difficult to believe that Slater would not have known of the lady and her book. I am beginning to wonder if he pinched the idea. That is a shame if so because there are surely other titles he could have chosen. However his is still a good book.

Dod

rabbit
Lemon Pip
Posts: 56
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 12:13 am
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507448

Postby rabbit » June 15th, 2022, 5:28 pm

Dod101 wrote:
That's interesting. Obviously I did not know that. Might even get your friend's book. I am not a great cook but I enjoy that sort of book. Shame about the title clash although I doubt that Slater would have deliberately pinched it.

Dod


I don't think Stella would be the least bit bothered about the title clash. The book is for sale here: https://www.gourmet-experiences.co.uk/p ... rling-mbe/ or there appear to be used copies available online from the usual suspects!

rabbit
Lemon Pip
Posts: 56
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 12:13 am
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507450

Postby rabbit » June 15th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:Having looked up Stella West Harling it is difficult to believe that Slater would not have known of the lady and her book. I am beginning to wonder if he pinched the idea. That is a shame if so because there are surely other titles he could have chosen. However his is still a good book.

Dod


Perhaps Slater should have given his the title 'Another Cook's Book'!

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 8367
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 1167 times
Been thanked: 2113 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507827

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 17th, 2022, 9:01 am

rabbit wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Having looked up Stella West Harling it is difficult to believe that Slater would not have known of the lady and her book. I am beginning to wonder if he pinched the idea. That is a shame if so because there are surely other titles he could have chosen. However his is still a good book.

Dod


Perhaps Slater should have given his the title 'Another Cook's Book'!

Or adopting classic geek nomenclature, "Yet Another ...".

That's the "ya" of quite a few computer programmes and tools. A classic case being yacc, which has been popular since at least when the formal spec was published back in 1975.

monabri
Lemon Half
Posts: 6367
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 950 times
Been thanked: 2392 times

Re: Nigel Slater

#507866

Postby monabri » June 17th, 2022, 11:00 am

Not NS but HFW...brilliant book and one on offer "like new" condition...

https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/hugh-fe ... qLEALw_wcB

or "V.Good" condition

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291730755754 ... 1FEALw_wcB


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest