Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Beef dripping

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
JMN2
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2156
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:21 am
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Beef dripping

#115204

Postby JMN2 » February 2nd, 2018, 12:42 pm

Beef dripping and coal fired range maketh the best fish and chips...chips with gravy for dessert...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 9002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 1338 times
Been thanked: 3719 times

Re: Beef dripping

#115234

Postby redsturgeon » February 2nd, 2018, 3:11 pm

JMN2 wrote:Beef dripping and coal fired range maketh the best fish and chips...chips with gravy for dessert...


I have had fish and chips in beef dripping many times when I used to live in Yorkshire and I would agree with you that it makes great fish and chips. I have never to my knowledge had fish and chips from a coal fired range though. I have to admit to being a little sceptical on how it could make a difference though. Surely the heat source is merely heating the fat to a specified temperature and whether that is by gas, electricity or coal should not really matter...unlike say a wood fired pizza oven when you will be able to taste a difference.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2156
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:21 am
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Beef dripping

#115251

Postby JMN2 » February 2nd, 2018, 4:15 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Beef dripping and coal fired range maketh the best fish and chips...chips with gravy for dessert...


I have had fish and chips in beef dripping many times when I used to live in Yorkshire and I would agree with you that it makes great fish and chips. I have never to my knowledge had fish and chips from a coal fired range though. I have to admit to being a little sceptical on how it could make a difference though. Surely the heat source is merely heating the fat to a specified temperature and whether that is by gas, electricity or coal should not really matter...unlike say a wood fired pizza oven when you will be able to taste a difference.

John


It's nostalgia and all in the mind and thus it matters. It's like non-selvedge post 1982-83 Levi's 501's and the 1970's selvedge ones...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 9002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 1338 times
Been thanked: 3719 times

Re: Beef dripping

#115270

Postby redsturgeon » February 2nd, 2018, 5:14 pm

JMN2 wrote: It's like non-selvedge post 1982-83 Levi's 501's and the 1970's selvedge ones...


Now you're talking!

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2156
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:21 am
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Beef dripping

#115276

Postby JMN2 » February 2nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote: It's like non-selvedge post 1982-83 Levi's 501's and the 1970's selvedge ones...


Now you're talking!

John


John! You probably wore the 1947 or 1955 originals when they came out and didn't have to resort to the modern facsimilies by Levi's. I do clearly remember when denim was different, the smell in the denim shop, how cardboardy they felt, they would shrink in the wash and lose colour...mothers had to be very vigilant and patient - the guilt I felt I bought my parents a small bungalow when the business ran into troubles. Me whining and complaining about how the flares were not perfect.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 9002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 1338 times
Been thanked: 3719 times

Re: Beef dripping

#115285

Postby redsturgeon » February 2nd, 2018, 6:17 pm

JMN2 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote: It's like non-selvedge post 1982-83 Levi's 501's and the 1970's selvedge ones...


Now you're talking!

John


John! You probably wore the 1947 or 1955 originals when they came out and didn't have to resort to the modern facsimilies by Levi's. I do clearly remember when denim was different, the smell in the denim shop, how cardboardy they felt, they would shrink in the wash and lose colour...mothers had to be very vigilant and patient - the guilt I felt I bought my parents a small bungalow when the business ran into troubles. Me whining and complaining about how the flares were not perfect.


I remember wearing my first pair in the bath* to get the fit better since they shrunk about 10% on the first wash, then my mother hanging them on the line and laughing as they were stiff as cardboard when dry.

But we are way off topic now and I take half the blame!

John

*It didn't take many days for the blue dye to fade from my legs :D

MrWebster
Posts: 2
Joined: April 26th, 2024, 12:12 pm

Re: Beef dripping

#662149

Postby MrWebster » April 30th, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this delicious idea—it's got my mouth watering already.

MrWebster
Posts: 2
Joined: April 26th, 2024, 12:12 pm

Re: Beef dripping

#662150

Postby MrWebster » April 30th, 2024, 12:10 pm

I remember a cozy seaside spot I visited where they served the crispiest fish, cooked in beef dripping. Absolutely divine!

Dicky99
Lemon Slice
Posts: 682
Joined: February 23rd, 2023, 7:42 am
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Beef dripping

#662159

Postby Dicky99 » April 30th, 2024, 12:55 pm

MrWebster wrote:I remember a cozy seaside spot I visited where they served the crispiest fish, cooked in beef dripping. Absolutely divine!



Don't keep us in suspense. Where is it ;)

scotview
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1516
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:00 am
Has thanked: 612 times
Been thanked: 932 times

Re: Beef dripping

#662173

Postby scotview » April 30th, 2024, 2:21 pm

When we were kids our dad sometimes made fish and chips with beef dripping. Fresh, line caught local haddock in golden crispy batter with golden, crispy chips. The haddock was in round steaks, off the bone, not the usual fillets. Chalky white haddock flesh, off the bone, nothing quite like it.

Today, my wife keeps a tub of beef dripping in the fridge from the local butcher. We like our ribeye's fried in it. The dripping seems to give a very high heat which sears the outside of the steaks and adds flavour. You do need to use a silicone cover for the pan though.

chas49
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2030
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:25 am
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 481 times

Re: Beef dripping

#662194

Postby chas49 » April 30th, 2024, 6:02 pm

MrWebster wrote:I remember a cozy seaside spot I visited where they served the crispiest fish, cooked in beef dripping. Absolutely divine!


Hello MrWebster. I wonder if you could let us know if there's a particular reason for reviving this topic six years after the last post?

Moderator Message:
I would be grateful if other forum members would not follow up on this post. Thanks (chas49)

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice
Posts: 447
Joined: November 9th, 2016, 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Beef dripping

#662357

Postby johnstevens77 » May 1st, 2024, 10:28 pm

As staff cook at Gleneagles hotel in 1966, I cooked fish and chips in beef dripping on a coal fired range. However, I can't understand the logic that the heating medium makes a difference to the texture or taste of the finished product. At home now, I use lard for frying.
As for the coal fired range, on one occasion, I was careless topping up the fire and a few small bits went into the semolina, I just sieved it and sent it out. Could get away with it in those days.
One other thing, without temperature controls judging the fat temperature was not straight foreward, a splash of water and if it sizzled ok, then it was ready, after which came the problem of maintaining the required temperature, acheived by moving the friture around the stove top and of course looking after the fire by using the damper and feeding it little and often with coal. (The stoves had solid tops, not open fires). Off topic, but to judge the oven temperature, one put one's arm ito it to get some indication.

john


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests