Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pots/Pans

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
genou
Lemon Quarter

Pots/Pans

Postby genou » January 16th, 2019, 8:45 pm

We have been using Le Creuset for 30+ years. But are now minded to find something lighter, so that we are well used to it before we might have to give up on the cast iron as we get frailer. There is no rush on this, we just want to look at changing before we might struggle to cope with a change ( having seen older relatives you clung on too long to familiar things ).

So, the question for the assembly is : what would you suggest ? We'd prefer an answer that was hob agnostic and allowed any pot to go from hob to oven.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: Pots/Pans

Postby tea42 » January 16th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Cheap thin Judge steel coated plans. Low thermal mass quick to heat up. Replace every 3 to 4 years.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 17th, 2019, 1:13 pm

We've never regretted buying our Meyer stainless saucepans, which are more what I'd call a midweight than a lightweight, but which distribute the heat very nicely so they don't burn anything. Not cheap - ours were £150 plus twenty years ago! But the welded handles don't wobble and they're very stable on the hob. Having classy saucepans makes even my modest cooking efforts seem better. :)

A couple of things to think about. Do you want your frying pan (and any other pans) to be Teflon? And do you want heat-insulated handles? They have their pros and their cons, especially on gas hobs.

Plenty of good discounts on saucepans. Shop around!

BJ

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 17th, 2019, 1:49 pm

TK Maxx have some great bargains in the cookware section and if you don't mind non matching pans you can pick up some really great pans. If you must have matching sets then it just takes patience, especially if you're not in a hurry.

R6

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Cheap bargain cookware is a very false economy. I completely second Meyer pots and pans. Also Raymond Blanc Stainless Steel with a copper base inside. This distributes the heat evenly and is suitable for an induction hob if that matters.

Dod

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » January 17th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Ikea stainless steel have used for several years. Decent quality and price suitable for induction, and can be transferred from hob to oven without issue.

greenrobbie

Postby greenrobbie » January 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Another vote for Meyer s/s pans. We've had our for 25 years or so, still in great condition, with handles that haven't worked loose - I think I just screw them tight from time to time. A far better arrangement than welded handles that always seem to work loose eventually. As for frying pans, we go for non-stick, one from John Lewis, their own brand didn't last too well, the best we've had for years came from Aldi, although they sell varying qualities and I wouldn't expect too much from the lighter-weight ones they sell.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 17th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't come across Meyer before. I did look at some Le Creuset SS pots, but there a damn near as heavy as the iron pans, which defeats the object. I'll have to have a think about non-stick, as I haven't used it in years ( used to always peel off in those days ).

As a supplementary - any experience of hard-anodised aluminium ?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 17th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Dod101 wrote:Cheap bargain cookware is a very false economy. I completely second Meyer pots and pans. Also Raymond Blanc Stainless Steel with a copper base inside. This distributes the heat evenly and is suitable for an induction hob if that matters.

Dod

Sorry Dod, but recent experience has lead me to believe that you are wrong.

I needed to replace a pan because my daughter had burnt something on then banged it that much she had ripped the weald of the "stick" handle. Needing a pan in a hurry I bought a simmilarly sized twin handled stainless steel pan, with a aluminium heat spreader in the base for about £7 from argos (though I can't find it today).

What a eye opener. As many will know Aluminium has a symilar thermal conductivity to copper, so reduces hot spots. It's sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel so no concerns of eating the stuff or it reacting in a dishwasher.
The twin handles make lifting it from the hob to the oven a brieze.
I wouldn't put the supplied lid in the oven, but the one from the previous pan fits, giving me a choice of a glass one to see things cooking or a steel one for the oven.

Now I am NOT saying that you can't get more features and pay for them. What I am saying is that you CAN get a good pan at an economical price.

On that subject, can I recomend "black iron" frying pans from a catering supplier. They are actually high carbon steel and turn black with use. Those who use traditional wok's will understand the concept of oil being captured by the pores of the steel making it non-stick. What's more they are cheap. On many cooking programs you can see small ones stuffed in ovens. Unfortunately they do weigh a bit more than coated aluminium frying pans though far less than a cast iron one.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 17th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Though often tempted I've never purchased Le Creuset cookware because of the weight as I've had some degree of arthritis since my early forties (the earliest stage at which I could actually have afforded things like Le Creuset cookware) and obviously it only gets worse over time. N.B. I do think you are very wise to plan ahead for becoming a bit more feeble! Though 'only' in my late sixties, given the arthritis I do look at most things in the light of will I continue to be able to use this, will it help me or will it hinder me?

I think so much depends on how you cook but I'm very doubtful about the cheap pan and replace it regularly option unless it really suits your style of cooking - you know some people are always simmering while others are stir frying over a fierce heat!

I do find somewhat 'better' cookware worth it e.g. a large and medium stainless steel set of base pan and steamers above with a decent lids well worth while. Not so heavy as to be a problem but with enough thickness to the base to not burn at the slightest thing and with handles either side of the pans/steamers as so much easier to manage if your hands don't always do exactly as you wish.

The odd thing though is that sometimes cheaper and less advertised can indeed be better. I do like to have one non-stick frying pan and one non-stick pan of milk pan sort of size but my experience of non-stick pans is that mostly they are not non-stick to the extent of being just as if not more difficult to clean that a pan without a non-stick surface. After earlier pans which were not so non-stick and quickly went over to peeling, I tried out the fashionable white coated non-stick pans - don't go there as stuff sticks to them worse than to a plain stainless steel surface - mine are now relegated to heating things like baked beans which will definitely come off. I've also gone over to induction cooking which I like very much but which limits your choice of pans and especially of non-stick. Recently I've bought first a small Sainsbury's own brand non-stick frying pan and then, because I was so pleased with it, ditto in a smallish saucepan. Swish them under a tap or put them in the dishwasher and whatever it was you cooked in them - even scrambled egg - is gone. I don't know how long they will last but it is pleasure to cook with them. They also have long metal handles which I prefer on environmental grounds. The label warns of the danger of the handle becoming hot but because it is a really long handle actually as long as you grasp it at the end rather than near the pan it is never more than comfortably warm. I suppose a really long handle wouldn't suit everyone but even in a very small cooking area I find it can be accommodated.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Urbandreamer

For all I know you may be correct but I must my experience with Meyer and Raymond Blanc pans is extremely positive. I am no expert but I can vouch for the fact that they are virtually indestructible. I am not sure about non stick. I have a couple of non stick frying pans and one big non stick (I have a lot of pans) pan but for the life of me I can see no advantage over the stainless steel variety.

Actually I am highly amused at my venturing an opinion on this sort of thing because until my dear late wife died three years ago she was the one who did the cooking (and did it very well). I was given a crash course in domesticity and have picked up some opinions!

Dod

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 18th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I was given a crash course in domesticity and have picked up some opinions!

Good for you Dod! I like your spirit,

Lynn

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » January 18th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Mauviel, but don't look at the price!

I have a couple of these saucepans and will never again buy another make. Multi-ply 5 layer, where else could one get such quality? A dream to work with, almost impossible to burn anything.
An exerpt from Amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003NI6KNC/ ... B00DUE1WLO

Mauviel 16x18x20CM Saucepan Set M'Cook
RRP: £359.00
Price: £352.01 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Delivery Details
You Save: £6.99 (2%)
4 new from £249.00

Made from multi-ply (5-layer) 18/10 stainless steel; 2.6mm thick. Middle layers made from aluminium to optimise heat conduction and distribution
Made with reinforced non-drip edge puring rims, polished exterior and stainless steel rivets
Suitable for all heat sources & is dishwasher safe
Magnetic stainless steel for induction cooking
Set of 3; 16cm, 18cm, 20cm

As to frying pans. I only use "black iron". It is none stick and lasts forever. Not for the dishwasher though.

john

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » January 19th, 2019, 6:33 am

Blimey, I did have a look at the price, do you get a cook included in that price!! :o :D

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 19th, 2019, 7:13 am

todthedog wrote:Blimey, I did have a look at the price, do you get a cook included in that price!! :o :D

You don't even get lids.

Scott.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 19th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Eva Trio stainless steel
https://www.davidmellordesign.com/cooki ... e/eva-trio

Eva Trio are cheaper than Le Creuset and Mauviel and in my opinion are better made.

The handles are welded on so theres no rivet holes to leak or collect dirt - the welds are very stong going almost all the way through the pan.
The lids are flat which means you can hang them up or stack the pans in a cupboard.

Mine are 30 years old and (after a quick polish up) they still look new!

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Postby GJHarney » January 20th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Far too late in my cooking life (and after constant disappointment with non-stick coatings) I discovered spun iron, half the weight of its cast cousin, can be used on all hobs, very easy to maintain excellent non-stick properties and very hard wearing, and best of all you can get good value quality examples made in the UK from people likes these - https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 22nd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Damn, this is hard. I had a potter in town yesterday, and was coming round to Vogue saucepans; this sort of thing https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-tri-wal ... 500ml/y245 .

I suppose the argument is whether their heat distribution is as even as Mauviel / Eva. The price is sort of secondary - if it will last 35 years, as the existing LeC has ( and shows no sign of failing ) it's a investment I'm prepared to make.

Quite fancy the combination here https://www.nisbets.co.uk/search/?text=k762 for veg, particularly if I want to part cook and hold it.

I would probably have settled for their De Buyer black iron as well, but that Netherton stuff looks seriously interesting. This https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/sho ... -casserole at 1kg is 500g lighter than my current LeC pan with the same cooking surface.

Decisions, decisions......

I'm grateful for all the contributions.

P.S. I went to the length of weighing my existing stuff; the 23cm saucepan, with lid, comes in at 3.14 kg

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 22nd, 2019, 5:13 pm

Is this of any interest, or is it more like what you're moving away from?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » January 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Is this of any interest, or is it more like what you're moving away from?

Wow! And I thought Le Creuset were on the heavy side. 180 degrees the wrong way, I fear. Good video though.

OH has now pointed out that Mauviel are trivially cheap compared to new golf clubs. First I knew that she was after a new set; this is getting more expensive by the day.......

Return to “Food”