Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sourdough Bread.

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Sourdough Bread.

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2019, 7:07 am

I love the stuff, not anything that you might buy in any supermarket that might be labelled sourdough but something baked in a local bakery that has a heft and crunch and chewiness that is delicious and I am hooked on the stuff.

OK it costs between 3 and 4 pounds a loaf but that is the realistic cost of making and baking something by hand in small batches using natural yeasts that are left for a day to ferment the dough and a price I am prepared to pay.

Just sliced thickly with a generous smearing of peanut butter (100% peanuts NO palm oil or added sugar) or dipped in a fresh grassy extra virgin olive oil or cold pressed hemp oil or toasted with a rub a garlic and thickly sliced heritage tomatoes, a meal in itself.

Here is a great article on the type of thing I mean.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/o ... etter-loaf

I may be preaching to the converted but I would recommend to anyone who hasn't tried it to seek out the proper stuff and try it...you will be hooked like me. Even my dog is hooked, as soon as the bread knife starts slicing through the crunchy crust of a new loaf she comes running in to sit patiently by my feet waiting for any small morsel...my daughter calls it dog crack!

John

PhaseThree

Re: Sourdough Bread.

Postby PhaseThree » October 11th, 2019, 9:29 am

I'm a big fan too but don't have a local bakers to buy from - I'd love to have a go at making this myself but am not sure where to start.
Does anyone out there with a recipe they could recommended ?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 11th, 2019, 9:54 am

PhaseThree wrote:I'm a big fan too but don't have a local bakers to buy from - I'd love to have a go at making this myself but am not sure where to start.

First you need the yeast.....

This was a favourite subject on TMF but a search throws up very little on Lemon Fool. I'm on holiday at present and can't access my list of favourite sites but this is a good place to start....

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-s ... -original/

You could Google sourdough starter, some companies actually sell dried starter yeast.

Good luck, baking sourdough can be addictive and a great delight. Sourdough toast with butter is out of this world. I'm sure you will get a lot of replies to your OP, if not I'm back home on Sunday and can then give you a few more leads.

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » October 11th, 2019, 11:05 am

Take a look at Bake with Jack on YouTube

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » October 11th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Four years ago I found this site, made my first sourdough starter and haven't bought a loaf of bread since!

http://www.theclevercarrot.com/sourdough-baking

I use Lidl bread flour and reckon a loaf costs well under a £1.

Living alone I bake every other week then slice and freeze the bread for use as needed - except for the two end crusts which I eat smothered in butter as soon as the loaf is cool enough to slice!

Tricia

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 13th, 2019, 8:43 pm

PhaseThree wrote:I'm a big fan too but don't have a local bakers to buy from - I'd love to have a go at making this myself but am not sure where to start.

Hi, I posted earlier that I would give you details of sites related to sourdough, this is my favourite , The Fresh Loaf. I've picked out a post on their forum relating to preparing a starter

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10251/ ... 1-tutorial

Another good site is Bakery Bits, they actually sell a dried sourdough starter which is pretty much fool proof

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/bakery-ing ... h-starters

I hope that helps. Enjoy baking sourdough and please come back and let us know how you get on. We could do with improving the sourdough knowledge base of Lemon Fool, the old TMF site was full of enthusiasts.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 13th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Your article mentions the role of San Francisco in the emergence of sourdough bread. You see it everywhere there, and it will always be one of the options if you order a sandwich.

A favourite there is the local clam chowder, served in a scooped out sourdough bread bowl:

"San Francisco clam chowder is basically a creamy new england clam chowder served in a sourdough bread bowl. It’s the sourdough that makes it a west-coast dish rather than an east-coast dish. Allegedly, the first sourdough bread bowl + clam chowder creation came from the San Francisco restaurant, Boudin, whose business is still up and running along Fisherman’s Wharf."

http://www.thegourmetgourmand.com/san-f ... ead-bowls/

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » October 14th, 2019, 6:27 am

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » October 14th, 2019, 11:19 am

I eat sourdough almost exclusively now.

Mostly homemade by my partner using a starter culture she maintains (using mainly stoneground flour inc. rye); a chunk of this, plus additional flour, water and salt then goes into a Panny breadmaker, which does the mixing and baking using the 6hr French loaf setting (ie. the longest cycle the machine has). She tweaked someone else's method who'd written online about using the Panny in this way. They're fairly compact loaves, without a huge rise, as the method isn't an ideal one, but they taste great, take very little effort while delivering fresh sourdough at 8am...

I fill in any gaps between her homemade sourdough loaves with Aldi's sliced sourdough, which is quite different (much whiter than our homemade ones) but tastes really good and authentic. I try to always keep an Aldi sliced sourdough in the freezer in case there's no freshly baked to hand, and also just for a change. I've also tried Lidl's sourdough loaf but it tastes bogus (a sharp vinegar taste at the end vs more subtle sourness) so won't buy that again.

One point: sourdough is great for your gut biome (besides flavour this is why we eat it), a side effect of which is that you may well find that your "gut transit time" dramatically reduces, so take care not to get caught short ;)

Return to “Food”