Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Haggis

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Haggis

Postby stewamax » January 26th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I had a Simon Howie Original Haggis from Tesco for dinner last night. Well worth a buy (usual disclaimers).
These taste like the best of the ones I remember when I lived north of the border. OK, it has artificial casing but I'll forgive them for that.
I used to eat them with grilled black pudding and potato scones (potato cakes to Sassenachs).

PhaseThree

Re: Haggis

Postby PhaseThree » January 26th, 2020, 5:46 pm

stewamax wrote:I had a Simon Howie Original Haggis from Tesco for dinner last night. Well worth a buy (usual disclaimers).
These taste like the best of the ones I remember when I lived north of the border. OK, it has artificial casing but I'll forgive them for that.
I used to eat them with grilled black pudding and potato scones (potato cakes to Sassenachs).

Always my favorite when I can't get to a Scottish Butcher.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 26th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I love Haggis. I bought 10 Howie's this year, including 2 Chieftans, all for me. Microwaved delight for the next 3 months.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Now breakfast is when I have my Christmas pudding. I have a stash of them too.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » January 26th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Champit Tatties and Bashed Neeps.

I was chef saucier at Gleneagles Hotel in 1970, haggis in those days was always prepared in the natural sheeps stomach and it needed to be cooked very slowly otherwise it would burst, never happened to me! We only served it on special occaisions such as end of conference dinners. We cooked two sizes, portions of 8 for the tables and a large one, about 2kg or more for the ceremony at the top table. The haggis was arranged on a silver flat with swan neck napkins and decorated with deep fried gelatine leaves and curly parsley, then placed onto a wooden stretcher which was carried into the dining room by myself and a commis, preceded by a piper. We held the stretcher while the MC did his bit and stabbed the haggis. We layed the stretcher on the side table for the waiters to serve and returned to the kitchen.

We don't wait for Burns Night to eat haggis, our nearest supplier here is Waitrose who stock Mc'Sweens, which is quite passable.

john

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 26th, 2020, 11:47 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Champit Tatties and Bashed Neeps.

I was chef saucier at Gleneagles Hotel in 1970, haggis in those days was always prepared in the natural sheeps stomach and it needed to be cooked very slowly otherwise it would burst, never happened to me! We only served it on special occaisions such as end of conference dinners. We cooked two sizes, portions of 8 for the tables and a large one, about 2kg or more for the ceremony at the top table. The haggis was arranged on a silver flat with swan neck napkins and decorated with deep fried gelatine leaves and curly parsley, then placed onto a wooden stretcher which was carried into the dining room by myself and a commis, preceded by a piper. We held the stretcher while the MC did his bit and stabbed the haggis. We layed the stretcher on the side table for the waiters to serve and returned to the kitchen.

We don't wait for Burns Night to eat haggis, our nearest supplier here is Waitrose who stock Mc'Sweens, which is quite passable.

john

But (far more importantly)..... what single malt did you provide with the haggis?
The only reason for the existence of haggis is the opportunity to have a wee dram

--kiloran

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » January 27th, 2020, 4:31 pm

[/quote]
But (far more importantly)..... what single malt did you provide with the haggis?
The only reason for the existence of haggis is the opportunity to have a wee dram

--kiloran[/quote]

Give over! I was just a cook and in 1970 that counted for nothing! However, I do belong to a whisky tasting club and have a few malts at home. Last night a wee dram of cask strength 15 year old Bunnahabhain single malt went down quite well. (Bourbon Barrel # 3058, finished in a Rioja Octave).

john

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 27th, 2020, 4:52 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
kiloran wrote:But (far more importantly)..... what single malt did you provide with the haggis?

--kiloran

Give over! I was just a cook and in 1970 that counted for nothing! However, I do belong to a whisky tasting club and have a few malts at home. Last night a wee dram of cask strength 15 year old Bunnahabhain single malt went down quite well. (Bourbon Barrel # 3058, finished in a Rioja Octave).

john

Yum yum! Islay. Let me know if you need any help with it

--kiloran

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 28th, 2020, 2:08 pm

kiloran wrote:..... what single malt did you provide with the haggis?The only reason for the existence of haggis is the opportunity to have a wee dram

Untraditional it may be, but I prefer bottled Guinness (or, better, Fullers 1845, Hobgoblin King Goblin, or Guinness Foreign Extra) with haggis.
But a (non-wee) dram to round it all off and settle the stomach (purely medicinal) goes down very well.
My preferred non-wee medicinal dram would be Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Return to “Food”