Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

That was nice

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

That was nice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 2nd, 2020, 8:36 pm

Lunch today:
The ingredients:
Half an open jar of Thai red curry paste, been in the fridge 6 months.
2 legs off a grain fed chicken 3 days past it's use by date.
The juice of an old lime.
A very small amount of chilli powder.
A good dash of soya sauce.
Some left over olive oil, the excess from a roast butternut squash a couple of days ago.
Small dash of salt as the soya is already salty.

I openned out the legs to expose the bone and marinated them overnight with the rest of the ingredients and cooked them at 250C on fan assisted grilling setting. They were cooked on rack in a roast pan with water in the pan, first a couple of minutes on the flesh side, then I turned them over to crisp up the skin. When ready I set them to rest a couple of mins while I made the sauce which was only the juices and liquid from the pan thickened up with a little diluted cornflour. Served with fluffy crisp potatoes, (I used lard), grilled tomatoes cooked with the chicken which I had topped with some of the marinade and creamed spinach.

The breasts of the chicken I have cubed and left in a marinade for chicken satay with peanut sauce later in the week, the carcasse has already been cooked for stock which is now in the freezer.

My wife said, "that was nice we can have that again". Sorry, no old chicken and no 6 month old red curry paste.

john

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: That was nice

Postby redsturgeon » February 3rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

I do love a good meal made from leftovers!

Where was that quote from about someone's mother who made some leftover meals last so long that they had quite forgotten the original meal that started it all?

In my meat eating days a Sunday roast chicken used to provide meals until at least Wednesday. :)

John

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 6th, 2020, 12:41 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Where was that quote from about someone's mother who made some leftover meals last so long that they had quite forgotten the original meal that started it all?

i think the variation I herard was mum was so good at making leftovers meals tyhat sometimes we didnt have an original one it came from!

Ive certainly made meals from at least three previous distinct different meals :-)

didds

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » February 6th, 2020, 6:07 pm

didds wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Where was that quote from about someone's mother who made some leftover meals last so long that they had quite forgotten the original meal that started it all?

i think the variation I herard was mum was so good at making leftovers meals tyhat sometimes we didnt have an original one it came from!

Ive certainly made meals from at least three previous distinct different meals :-)

didds

I make a dish similar to mince and peas regularly. The second night it is stretched with kidney beans and a tin of tomatoes. The third night a load of curry spices and various Indian type pulses. By this stage the meat element miniscule but it still tastes good. If there's anything left it is used for lunch the next day in toasted sandwiches with a bit of cheese to bulk it out.

When I was young and single I used to cook a big pot of 'Bolognese' or 'curry' at the weeekend which would last me all week for evening meals. Depending on type the accompanyment would be, Rice, Pasta, chips, jacket potato or toasted French stick. The order was the only thing that changed.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 6th, 2020, 8:57 pm

My original post was not realy about left overs but here we go.

Today's lunch was all left overs; aloo gobi, mashed potatoes, chicken satay and chicken scraps from the chicken stock reheated in putanesca sauce, and 7 brussels sprouts, followed with some fresh fruit. That only leaves some satay sauce to use up, not enough to freeze, probably use it a a dip with carrot sticks.

Tomorrow I plan on using a can of pink salmon with dill in fish velouté, fish pie using 3 months old puff pastry.

Have fun.

john

Return to “Food”