Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Achieving a perfect poached egg

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Achieving a perfect poached egg

Postby Howard » November 25th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Years ago I read a lot of posts on TMF about how to achieve the perfect poached egg.

Over the years since I have tried every method suggested without success :cry: .

Yet I've eaten perfect examples in restaurants.

Adding vinegar and salt to the boiling water, pre-heating the raw egg in a mug by pouring in boiling water before adding to to saucepan, swirling (which doesn't work when cooking two eggs, one for Mrs H and me), removing some of the white before cooking, using very fresh eggs. All these methods have been used, including cheating by using plastic pouches.

Can anyone help my quest to produce the perfect boiled egg?

Suggestions warmly welcomed.

Howard

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Achieving a perfect poached egg

Postby Itsallaguess » November 25th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Howard wrote:
Adding vinegar and salt to the boiling water, pre-heating the raw egg in a mug by pouring in boiling water before adding to to saucepan, swirling (which doesn't work when cooking two eggs, one for Mrs H and me), removing some of the white before cooking, using very fresh eggs.

All these methods have been used, including cheating by using plastic pouches.

Been there and done all that too....

With that said, I did have some good success with the swirling method though, even with two eggs, but it still seemed like a lot of fuss for two eggs.

Then I got one of these Stainless Steel egg-poachers from Wilko, and I've never looked back -

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-egg-poacher-stainless-steel-20cm/p/0218336

Four minutes from when the water is lightly bubbling, and perfect eggs every time....

Easier to wash up too, when compared to a normal pan-based method, as some of the free egg-white in a pan seemed to stick to the internal walls quite often, and it's sometimes a pain to get clean.

These Wilko egg-holders are non-stick, so they just go in the normal washing bowl for a good rinse.

Ours gets used quite often, and is a quick and simple meal with some nice toast when we're in a rush.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 25th, 2019, 10:12 pm

i get a very good poached egg equivalent in the microwave .

egg in a small pot , teaspoon of olive oil , 7 mins on lowest power .

:)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 25th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Howard wrote:Years ago I read a lot of posts on TMF about how to achieve the perfect poached egg.

Over the years since I have tried every method suggested without success :cry: .

Adding vinegar and salt to the boiling water, pre-heating the raw egg in a mug by pouring in boiling water before adding to to saucepan, swirling (which doesn't work when cooking two eggs, one for Mrs H and me), removing some of the white before cooking, using very fresh eggs. All these methods have been used, including cheating by using plastic pouches.

Howard

(My bold above). Is this a trick question to see if readers are paying attention?

Is your question about the perfect poached egg or the perfect boiled egg?! :?

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » November 25th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I like the Gordon Ramsay method, it does take practice to get right though - it took me 3 or 4 attempts before I started getting the hang of it.

Those stainless steel things do not make poached eggs, a lot of people like them but that doesnt make them right!

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 25th, 2019, 11:58 pm

richfool wrote:
Howard wrote:Years ago I read a lot of posts on TMF about how to achieve the perfect poached egg.

Howard

(My bold above). Is this a trick question to see if readers are paying attention?

Is your question about the perfect poached egg or the perfect boiled egg?! :?

Sorry my mistake! No trick question. I'm seeking a perfect poached egg. And replying to other posts. I'm trying to get away from the moulded egg of my childhood to the sort of "natural" shape of a poached egg that one is served in fancy restaurants.

Maybe the Gordon Ramsay method may be worth trying. But does it involve lots of bad language if the results aren't perfect? :)

regards

Howard

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 26th, 2019, 12:08 am

Lanark wrote:I like the Gordon Ramsay method, it does take practice to get right though - it took me 3 or 4 attempts before I started getting the hang of it.

Those stainless steel things do not make poached eggs, a lot of people like them but that doesnt make them right!

I agree. Thanks for your tip. Have now looked at the G R video. I guess one has to do one egg at a time. Two eggs can't be swirled simultaneously in a pan of water in my experience. And, this method doesn't work for me when poaching two eggs one after the other in the same pan. Having cooked the first egg, it leaves a messy white deposit in the water which spoils the second egg.

Maybe two pans are required to cook two eggs? :?

regards

Howard

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 26th, 2019, 12:21 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Then I got one of these Stainless Steel egg-poachers from Wilko, and I've never looked back -

They've been around for thirty years or more from various suppliers. Arguably it's a "steamed egg" rather than a poached one.

Cooking time and outcome can vary by size and quality of the egg, but it's a fire and forget method.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » November 26th, 2019, 11:03 am

I get very good poached eggs. I tried so many different things (although not all the ones on your list) and they were all rubbish, and then one day my hand slipped with the vinegar. The egg was amazing.

Keep egg in cupboard (not fridge).
Bring water to a good boil.
Add white wine or cider vinegar (2-3 tablespoons in a small milk pan).
Crack egg straight into pan.
3 minutes from boiling.
Remove with slotted spoon.

I sometimes swirl, but by the time I have put the spoon down and cracked the egg, the swirl has gone. No, I won't use a cup. Can't be bothered with the extra washing up.

Half a ciabatta, toasted. 3 slices chorizo on top, grilled until it starts crinkling up at the edges and dripping oil into the bread. Poached egg on top. Grate some strong cheddar over the top.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 26th, 2019, 11:59 am

A very fresh egg, if not it is a real struggle.
Add white wine vinegar it helps is not hen fresh, not needed if it is.

Crack into simmering not boiling water. Remove with a slotted spoon.

Adding salt to the water guarantees failure.

Good luck :D

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 26th, 2019, 1:06 pm

I break eggs into simmering water, occasionally via a bowl. I don't really care about the snotty white bits in the water, I lift out with a potato masher and trim the spare bits of white. I'll do 2 or three in a pan at the same time. I did see someone put their eggs in a sieve first to remove the wettest white bits.

I've seen Jamie break his into a cup lined with cling film and poaches them in the film

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Looking at the Gordon Ramsay video showing the "swirl" method, I realised that I probably didn't add enough vinegar to the boiling water. So this morning I tried again, adding at least three tablespoons of normal malt vinegar. This produced a good result. Only drawback is that I could only cook one egg at a time.

Will try again at the weekend to make sure that the process is reproducible.

regards

Howard

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » November 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

At work I have poached eggs 30 at a time for following day's breakfast in a rectangular roasting pan with deep water and plenty of vinegar and cold water on the side for rinsing and to stop the cooking. The trick was to have the water moving from one end of the tray to the other. To order, they were reheated in salted boiling water. Always a good shape. (When poaching, the vinegar had to be topped up between batches). Now retired at home I admit to using the plastic tubs! The albumen sticks to the pan and is difficult to clean although it may be easier if you use a non stick pan.

john

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » November 29th, 2019, 6:49 pm

I loathe and detest those bits that hang down from poached eggs and will not eat eggs made using the swirl method. I love my silicone egg poachers even if the purists say they're not really poached - I don't care so there ;)

R6

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » February 15th, 2020, 9:53 am

Howard

I just discovered the method of removing the runniest white with a strainer. There are tons of such videos on YouTube, but its really as simple as that.

FIrst attempt, I strained one in a sieve and one in a tea-strainer then put both strainers into a frying pan of salted boiling water, as advised in the vids I watched. Worked perfectly but cleaning is a pain and can only do a limited number of eggs.

Second attempt with 4 eggs, strained in the sieve individually then into a bowl, then individually into the pan trying to place each into its own empty area. Also totally perfect.

I was a big fan of the poaching pan previously but haven't had one in ages. The strainer method is better in my opinion as you can easily get the set white with the yolk however you like it (runny, soft, hard) plus it looks way nicer.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » February 15th, 2020, 11:00 am

There seems to be conflicting advice on the use of salt in the water.

I don't recall the reason now, but some claim it adversely affects the way the white sets, IIRC.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 15th, 2020, 11:47 am

I was in Morrisons yesterday and happened to walk past the ready meal section and I glanced but didn't investigate properly what I thought might have been poached eggs. Checked online just now.
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... /445151011
Perfect Poached eggs apparently.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 15th, 2020, 12:01 pm

kempiejon wrote:https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Fresh-Ideas-2-Poached-Eggs/445151011
Perfect Poached eggs apparently.

Perfect stone-cold poached eggs, of uncertain vintage, and packaged in single-use plastic. ("Healthier start", indeed!) :(

I did like the nutritional note, though. "Contains eggs". :lol:

BJ

Percol351

Postby Percol351 » February 16th, 2020, 10:36 am

I have a small 6" dia frying pan which I fill to about 3/4" level with water no other additions, bring it to the boil and then crack an egg in it. Then leave it about 2 mins or when it looks ready, scrape the scummy stuff that rises to the top off with a slotted spoon. Then get the egg out and serve it on one of those giant crumpets for breakfast, have it about twice a week. Only had one failure when the egg stuck to the bottom of the pan but guess I didn't have enough water in.

Percol

Return to “Food”