Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Savoury pancake

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Savoury pancake

Postby Gaggsy » April 1st, 2020, 10:27 am

I enjoyed the Rick Stein series Secret France recently repeated on BBC2.
In the episode where he had lunch at Le Garage in the Auvergne, he ate a Pachade, a savoury pancake made with cantal cheese.
It looked easy to cook so I had a go. Here's the result.

OK, I cheated, I used cheddar and Tesco Finest dry-cured ham instead of cantal and parma. Oh, and I didn't have any plain flour so used Allinson's strong white breadmaking flour. 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of flour with added milk, water, salt and pepper to make a batter the consistency of single cream was enough mixture to make two. Cooked and flipped in a pan with plenty of hot olive oil.
The result was fantastic.
PS I couldn't remember the name of the dish (I've since looked it up), so I've been calling it a "Panclette" - because it's a hybrid pancake/omelette. I think my name is better!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Savoury pancake

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 1st, 2020, 11:36 am

When I lived in Bath, one of my favourite places was a pub (or wine bar) called the Paragon. It included a crêperie, offering a fantastic selection of savoury pancakes, as well as sweet options for dessert.

At my favourite Italian restaurant today, the crespelle are a fantastic starter!

Savoury pancakes are mainstream in parts of the world - probably centred on France. One might even argue that the Yorkshire Pudding is a trad-working-class variant on it - though perhaps more so as eaten in Yorkshire than the silly little things sold under that name in southern England.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » April 1st, 2020, 12:17 pm

Yes, I've always enjoyed the galettes you get in France, often made from buckwheat, so gluten-free, not that that's an issue for me.
This pachade is quite different - fluffier I suppose, and the cheese and ham are melted into the mix as it's cooking, rather than used as a filling later.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 10th, 2020, 10:21 pm

Yorkshire pudding? At my gradmother's in Sunderland, it was served as a first course with gravy. In the USA, they make small ones, called popovers, often stuffed with various fillings and served as finger food. I am not a fan of crêpes as made in Brittany though.

john

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Yorkshire pudding? At my gradmother's in Sunderland, it was served as a first course with gravy. In the USA, they make small ones, called popovers, often stuffed with various fillings and served as finger food. I am not a fan of crêpes as made in Brittany though.

john

My family did the same in Sheffield. It wasn't universal there, my wife, a Sheffield lass, thought it very strange.

Return to “Food”