Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and flour

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and flour

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 4th, 2020, 4:46 pm

I have been spending a lot of time on YouTube recently and have found some interesting recipes for 2 ingredient dough/flatbread /pizza etc
The most common recipe is equal parts by vol
-Greek yogurt
-Self raising flour
Some specify more flour (3/2 ratio)

Has anyone tried this ? I may have a go when I can get to the supermarket

didds
Lemon Half

Re: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and flour

Postby didds » April 7th, 2020, 9:40 am

please report back - soudns interestying :-)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 7th, 2020, 9:44 am

I can't find flour at the moment! Was hoping someone had tried it.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 7th, 2020, 9:56 am

I've made naan using yoghurt and flour, at a guess your mix sounds a little wet but I didn't use a recipe, I think you don't want to knead the dough much and I fried in butter.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 7th, 2020, 10:32 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I can't find flour at the moment! Was hoping someone had tried it.

Locally bread flour was impossible to get until this weed, plain flour was plentiful. A 'bread' from plain flour might have become the only option.

I did manage to get some bread flour on Saturday so maybe supplies are improving or people now consider they have enough emergency supplies.

On a side note, we always put flour in the freezer for a few days to kill off and eggs in it. It then goes into airtight containers.

voelkels

Postby voelkels » April 7th, 2020, 1:09 pm

FWIW, I won’t buy “self-rising” flour, only the “all-purpose” flour, me. The difference between the self-rising and the AP flours is that the self-rising contains baking powder. I would rather add my own baking powder to whatever I’m making in the amount that I deem necessary for the recipe I’m making at the time. Somewhere among my recipes on my computer, I have a recipe for making self-rising flour by adding the “proper” amount of baking powder to the AP flour.
;-)
The difference between “bread” flour and “regular” flour is the amount of gluten each contains. The “bread” flour contains more gluten than AP flour and “cake” flour contains less gluten. For most recipes AP flour works fine. I have a package of vital gluten that I haven’t used in at least 12 or10 years in the freezer. I figured that there may be a bread shortage down here in S.E. Loosiana so 6 or 5 weeks ago, I bought an extra bag of flour and a package of fresh yeast in case I have to make my own bread. They are presently in the freezer section of my “beer fridge” in my work shop along with a sack of whole wheat flour and tortilla mix.
;-)
Different brands/types of yogurt have different amounts of liquid in them. 28 or 26 years ago, I bought a set if cone-shaped screens for making “Greek yogurt” from regular yogurt. They worked well but they are packed up in the top shelf of the pantry next to the tortilla warmer and the pasta machine. If, for some reason, DW wants “Greek” yogurt and the local stores are out of it, I know where they are hidden and know how to make yogurt, assuming I can get regular yogurt and/or milk.

If y’all want to see the difference between flours, just do an internet search. Remember “Google is your friend”, yes.
;-)

C.J.V. - made my Cajun-Mexican cornbread with the pig ribs for Sunday’s supper, me

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 7th, 2020, 1:35 pm

voelkels wrote:
C.J.V. - made my Cajun-Mexican cornbread with the pig ribs for Sunday’s supper, me

Great to hear from you CJV - you really shouldn't disappear for that long when we're in the middle of a global pandemic you know...

All the best,

Itsallaguess

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Postby paullidd » April 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Similar to Kempiejon, I've made Naan bread that way, but oven cooked on a metal tray with the naan lightly oiled, again similarly I didn't use a recipe just added yoghurt till the mix felt right. they were delicious if not quite the real thing.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 7th, 2020, 5:43 pm

voelkels

Postby voelkels » April 8th, 2020, 8:25 am

Thanks y’all for the welcome back. Things here have been a bit hectic with working in the yard/garden and, more recently, the “global pandemic”. With all the local shutdowns, etc. my internet connection slowed down to the point that it was almost unusable.
;-(

C.J.V. - reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated, yes
;-)

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 10th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Good to see you again, CJV, although I did read a couple of your posts on the Fool USA.
I use so little self raising flour that I was having to throw it out as it developed a grey mold like substance on top. So I now make my own as and when I need it. Also, I use so little baking powder that the container has a use by date of November 2017. Therefore I have started making that too (as we did at catering college in 1960)!

To make baking powder; combine half a teaspoon of cream of tartar and a quarter teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. This is the equivalent of a teaspoon of baking powder.
To make self raising flour; add one teaspoon/5grs to 110grs/4 ozs plain/all purpose flour along with a good pinch of salt.
So for a kilo of plain flour, you will need 45grs/4 tablespoons of baking powder and 10grs of salt.

HTH

john

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » April 15th, 2020, 1:48 pm

We've been making soda bread recently. It's from the Katy I Can Cook Book, from CBeebies, so 5-year-olds can make it.

100g wholewheat flour
75g plain flour
1.5 tsp sugar
0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 tsp salt (optional)
25g porridge oats
2 tbsp linseeds
170 - 180 ml natural yogurt

Mix together and shape into a ball (you might not need all the yogurt). Squash slightly. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C fan, 200 C, Gas mark 7 for 20-25 minutes.

Makes four little wedge shaped bits, good with some ham or cheese and salad, like a ploughmans lunch. The recipe is not quite the simple 2 ingredients you have, but yours could be adapted to add anything else, and mine will be adapted to be closer to yours as I have run out of oats and linseeds.

Return to “Food”