Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hummus with chickpea flour

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
feder1
Lemon Slice

Hummus with chickpea flour

Postby feder1 » April 18th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Our hummus made to a standard recipe using chickpea flour has not turned out well.

We followed the recipe exactly and the hummus has turned to a solid jelly like mess. It should be a sloppy tasty spread.

It shouldn,t be gelatinous and is unappealing to eat.

If anyone can cure this problem I will eat my facemask.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Hummus with chickpea flour

Postby kempiejon » April 18th, 2020, 3:06 pm

What standard recipe? Could you share as I don't think flour is the right ingredient, I make hummus with whole peas not flour, I blend tahini, garlic, lemon juice and oil then with whole peas.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Chickpea flour is not generally used to make hummus.

Soak dried chickpeas overnight. Boil for about 40 mins until soft. Put into food processor and blend to stiff past. Add tahini, garlic, salt and lemon juice and blend until smooth, add iced water to get required consistency. Add olive oil to serve and a pinch of cayenne on top.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 19th, 2020, 6:31 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Chickpea flour is not generally used to make hummus.

Soak dried chickpeas overnight. Boil for about 40 mins until soft. Put into food processor and blend to stiff past. Add tahini, garlic, salt and lemon juice and blend until smooth, add iced water to get required consistency. Add olive oil to serve and a pinch of cayenne on top.

John

I use lots of olive oil in the blender rather than as an afterthought. Gives a very rich hummus.

Many other flavoursome ingredients optional, but less necessary in a rich brew than a supermarket sample.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 19th, 2020, 7:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Chickpea flour is not generally used to make hummus.

John

I use lots of olive oil in the blender rather than as an afterthought. Gives a very rich hummus.

Many other flavoursome ingredients optional, but less necessary in a rich brew than a supermarket sample.

I used to do that but I now use Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe and since using it I would not go back to the old method.

John

HarryCat

Postby HarryCat » April 19th, 2020, 11:06 pm

I too follow Ottolenghi for hummus - in particular adding baking soda when soaking the chickpeas - and his basmati rice technique in "Basmati and wild rice with chickpeas, currants and herbs" is worth trying.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 20th, 2020, 6:35 pm

I worked 21 years in the Middle East as a sous chef and executive chef, in my last job I had a Lebanese section in my kitchen brigade, 20 cooks and chefs, (total kitchen staff 130). In all locations the chick peas were cooked with a pinch or so of bicarb and the skins were removed before blending. When I retired and served hommous for a dinner party as part of a mezzeh, the guests commented upon how smooth it was. I did not understand because to me hommous is always silky smooth but upon discussing it I realised that some people left the skins on the cooked chickpeas before blending! How strange.

john

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 20th, 2020, 8:24 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:I worked 21 years in the Middle East as a sous chef and executive chef, in my last job I had a Lebanese section in my kitchen brigade, 20 cooks and chefs, (total kitchen staff 130). In all locations the chick peas were cooked with a pinch or so of bicarb and the skins were removed before blending. When I retired and served hommous for a dinner party as part of a mezzeh, the guests commented upon how smooth it was. I did not understand because to me hommous is always silky smooth but upon discussing it I realised that some people left the skins on the cooked chickpeas before blending! How strange.

john

Yes that is the Ottolenghi method I use and it does make the smoothest hummus. What I would like to know though is do they add the olive oil during the processing in the middle east or just pour on after.

John

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 21st, 2020, 6:47 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
johnstevens77 wrote:I worked 21 years in the Middle East as a sous chef and executive chef, in my last job I had a Lebanese section in my kitchen brigade, 20 cooks and chefs, (total kitchen staff 130). In all locations the chick peas were cooked with a pinch or so of bicarb and the skins were removed before blending. When I retired and served hommous for a dinner party as part of a mezzeh, the guests commented upon how smooth it was. I did not understand because to me hommous is always silky smooth but upon discussing it I realised that some people left the skins on the cooked chickpeas before blending! How strange.

john

Yes that is the Ottolenghi method I use and it does make the smoothest hummus. What I would like to know though is do they add the olive oil during the processing in the middle east or just pour on after.

John

Olive oil is added to the hommous in the serving dish. Serve the hommous in a round or oval deepish dish, create a hollow in the middle using the back of a table spoon and pour in the oil. Usually garnished with a little paprika, sliced cherry tomatoes, branch parsley, olives. Spring onions, cucumber sticks, pickled chillies and carrot battons etc can be served along side for dipping, but be free to garnish as takes your fancy, just be colourfull.
When I make mine, I keep some of the cooking liquid in the fridge to thin it down if too thick instead of using ice. Ice is usefull if you are processing a large quantity, stops the mix overheating in the machine. Lebanese cooks might also use ice instead of the cooking liquid, depends on how they were taught I suppose.
OT, I bought a wonderfull farm fresh cauliflower yesterday along with some super tasty cherry tomatoes. I am using some as a salad tonight for dinner. Quarter the toms and lightly cook some cauliflower florets in salted water. Toast some sunflower seeds and broken walnut pieces. Mix together and season with freshly ground black pepper, walnut oil and lemon. Could add anything else appropriate, eg parsley but I am out of that at the moment. In the ME, they would use pine seeds but sunflower seeds are a good substitute.

john

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » April 22nd, 2020, 9:49 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

john

John

Olive oil is added to the hommous in the serving dish. Serve the hommous in a round or oval deepish dish, create a hollow in the middle using the back of a table spoon and pour in the oil. Usually garnished with a little paprika, sliced cherry tomatoes, branch parsley, olives. Spring onions, cucumber sticks, pickled chillies and carrot battons etc can be served along side for dipping, but be free to garnish as takes your fancy, just be colourfull.
When I make mine, I keep some of the cooking liquid in the fridge to thin it down if too thick instead of using ice. Ice is usefull if you are processing a large quantity, stops the mix overheating in the machine. Lebanese cooks might also use ice instead of the cooking liquid, depends on how they were taught I suppose.
OT, I bought a wonderfull farm fresh cauliflower yesterday along with some super tasty cherry tomatoes. I am using some as a salad tonight for dinner. Quarter the toms and lightly cook some cauliflower florets in salted water. Toast some sunflower seeds and broken walnut pieces. Mix together and season with freshly ground black pepper, walnut oil and lemon. Could add anything else appropriate, eg parsley but I am out of that at the moment. In the ME, they would use pine seeds but sunflower seeds are a good substitute.

john

John, if you ever write a cookbook from your experiences, I promise to buy a copy. I'll also happily act as a test kitchen while it's in progress. :D

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 23rd, 2020, 8:49 pm

John, if you ever write a cookbook from your experiences, I promise to buy a copy. I'll also happily act as a test kitchen while it's in progress. :D[/quote]

From kitchen boy on the restaurant cars to executive chef in 5 star international hotels via Gleneagles, East and West Africa, the Carribean, Sri Lanka, France, Bahrain, Egypt, the cruise ships on the Nile, Cyprus, Jordan, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, plus 6 weeks training course at the World Trade Center in New York, yes I have seen and done rather more than most I suppose. I had some good times and some awful, cooked some outstanding food and some not so great. I catered for kings, queens, sheiks, sultans, ambassadors and dictators. I worked my first 100 hour week at 17 years old and my last at 64. Now I cook at home for enjoyment, play bridge and work in our large terraced garden but writing a recipe book is not on the horizon, just too much work at my age. It was enough when I was asked to write about my experiences on the restaurant cars, exhausting.

There are some good cooks on this board who post occaisionaly and I use some of their recipes from time to time.

To get back on topic though, chick pea flour (gram flour), seems to be use mostly in Indian cuisine, soups and pakoras come to mind. I never saw it in any of the establishments where I worked but I do keep it at home.

john

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » April 23rd, 2020, 11:25 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:John, if you ever write a cookbook from your experiences, I promise to buy a copy. I'll also happily act as a test kitchen while it's in progress. :D

From kitchen boy on the restaurant cars to executive chef in 5 star international hotels via Gleneagles, East and West Africa, the Carribean, Sri Lanka, France, Bahrain, Egypt, the cruise ships on the Nile, Cyprus, Jordan, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, plus 6 weeks training course at the World Trade Center in New York, yes I have seen and done rather more than most I suppose. I had some good times and some awful, cooked some outstanding food and some not so great. I catered for kings, queens, sheiks, sultans, ambassadors and dictators. I worked my first 100 hour week at 17 years old and my last at 64. Now I cook at home for enjoyment, play bridge and work in our large terraced garden but writing a recipe book is not on the horizon, just too much work at my age. It was enough when I was asked to write about my experiences on the restaurant cars, exhausting.

There are some good cooks on this board who post occaisionaly and I use some of their recipes from time to time.

To get back on topic though, chick pea flour (gram flour), seems to be use mostly in Indian cuisine, soups and pakoras come to mind. I never saw it in any of the establishments where I worked but I do keep it at home.

john[/quote]

I'm glad you're enjoying a well-deserved retirement. I did a bit of time in the trade, mainly out front, so know what the 'lifestyle' is like. But I bet you've got knowledge that most recipe book writers wouldn't know existed. It's a shame to take it with you, but completely understand your perspective on it. At least you're sharing your wisdom here.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 10th, 2020, 3:14 am

I've just made my smoothest batch of hummus. I have previously picked out any loose skins but this time I went through individual peas carefully, I also used the pea water (don't call it that, aquafaba is the technical term) to let it down a bit, 1 clove of garlic minced, and a tablespoon or so each of lemon juice and tahini, I didn't soak my peas but used a tin. I heard on a foodie radio 4 show to fully whip the tahini then adding each ingredient separately so tried that too. It did add some time to the process, the SO liked it so I will be doing it again but I felt the texture too smooth, perhaps I'll try a bit less blending next time. I'm generally a bit rough in my choices, I prefer my peanut butter crunchy, my orange juice with bits, my batches seedy and... I should stop there.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 10th, 2020, 8:46 am

So ... are tinned chickpeas, the sort that one just lobs in the blender for hummus, skins on or skins off ?

- dspp

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 10th, 2020, 11:35 am

dspp wrote:So ... are tinned chickpeas, the sort that one just lobs in the blender for hummus, skins on or skins off ?

- dspp

Indeed, drained first, in fact all my previous hummus makes have involved just slinging in all the ingredients and blending, takes 5 minutes - this new version above probably took me half an hour of assorted sodding about.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 10th, 2020, 2:25 pm

kempiejon wrote:
dspp wrote:So ... are tinned chickpeas, the sort that one just lobs in the blender for hummus, skins on or skins off ?

- dspp

Indeed, drained first, in fact all my previous hummus makes have involved just slinging in all the ingredients and blending, takes 5 minutes - this new version above probably took me half an hour of assorted sodding about.

Sorry, yes, I should have pointed out one needs to drain them first.

Surely these are skins on. I must enquire next time I am in the Middle East as to what are the norms. I've never seen anyone picking the skins out in the past, and I did use to pay attention to what my (ex) GF did in the kitchen ! Actually come to think of it, I can ask her. I'll report back.

regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 10th, 2020, 2:46 pm

dspp wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

- dspp

Sorry, yes, I should have pointed out one needs to drain them first.

Surely these are skins on. I must enquire next time I am in the Middle East as to what are the norms. I've never seen anyone picking the skins out in the past, and I did use to pay attention to what my (ex) GF did in the kitchen ! Actually come to think of it, I can ask her. I'll report back.

regards, dspp

ANSWER = SKINS ON ("it's a lot of work otherwise")

regards, dspp

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 10th, 2020, 3:38 pm

dspp wrote:ANSWER = SKINS ON ("it's a lot of work otherwise")

regards, dspp

Not so much work if you have the right tool for it.

My granny used to have one she would use for various skinned fruit&veg, such as spuds. It's only a distant memory (and I doubt she ever heard of chickpeas), but the basic principle was a centrifuge with an abrasive rim. I was always a little surprised it only ever got the skin, not the spud, apple, or whatever beneath it. Hers was domestic-size - a little smaller than a regular food processor - but I'm sure a food processing company could have something more industrial-size.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » May 10th, 2020, 5:02 pm

This has come up before, here is a post to get you started.

viewtopic.php?p=7857#p7857

john

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 1st, 2022, 4:11 pm

Moderator Message:
The post you are replying to has been deleted as spam. A disguised link was included

Jonny12, how do you get low carb chick peas or do you substitute them I thought the pulses were 60% carb?

In other news I made a tasty blended bean dip the other day using a bag of green edamame beans, tahini, garlic salt and lemon juice. I scored 500g of beans from the yellow sticker fairy in the supermarket. If I can find them again on special I'll try without tahini and add mint sauce from a jar.

Return to “Food”