Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Wood stove pizza

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Wood stove pizza

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 23rd, 2020, 6:03 pm

Neither my wife nor I eat meat and we were looking for something pleasant to eat this Xmas. It seemed to me that a pizza ought to cook well at the temperatures available in our wood burner. I acquired a rectangular piece of 5mm mild steel and thoroughly cleaned it. Today we tried a dress-rehearsal to see if it might work. I always use a stove-pipe thermometer on the wood burner but place it on top of the stove instead of the stove pipe. I gave the steel plate a quick sanding and then wiped it clean with a couple of pieces of kitchen roll. My wife produced a few pizza bases and dusted the bottom of the bases with polenta. I pre-heated the plate on top of the stove for 10 minutes and then placed the pizza on the plate and the plate in the stove on top of a good layer of burning coals. I found that a temperature of c. 350 C cooked the pizza very adequately in about 80 seconds and the results were very satisfactory. I was pleasantly surprised that the pizza base neither stuck to the plate nor burnt - apart from the slight crisping that is desirable. I'm looking forward to eating some more over the coming days.

Have a Happy Christmas everyone :)

RC

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Re: Wood stove pizza

Postby tikunetih » December 23rd, 2020, 6:52 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:then placed the pizza on the plate and the plate in the stove on top of a good layer of burning coals.

Embers?

Hopefully.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wood stove pizza

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm

tikunetih wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:then placed the pizza on the plate and the plate in the stove on top of a good layer of burning coals.

Embers?

Hopefully.

Yes!

RC

Return to “Food”