Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Christmas C**ckups - Today

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Christmas C**ckups - Today

Postby stewamax » December 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm

swill453 wrote:
stewamax wrote:And the 'sixpence' wasn't a sixpence but what I think was a silver threepenny piece (was there such a thing?) that was kept for the occasion.
Yes there was a silver threepenny, which predated the "joey". It was a bit smaller than a "tanner"

That's it!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 2nd, 2021, 8:00 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:It was only while my father was doing the carving that the mistake came to light. The turkey still had all its innards in it. :lol: BJ

One Christmas in Bahrain, having worked the morning shift, my wife and myself were invited to dinner with some friends, same thing happened, when the host carved the turkey, she found the paper wrapped offal in the neck cavity. Mind you, she was French and had never cooked a turkey before.
john

I think it used to be quite common to leave a bag of the giblets inside the birds body cavity. Presumably to go towards making a gravy or similar? I've certainly accidentally cooked a chicken/turkey and only discovered a poly bag of bits and pieces inside afterwards :(

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 2nd, 2021, 8:17 pm

feder1 wrote:I think the recipe that suggested making the puds weeks in advance to let them "mature" was utterly nonsensical.

My mother has always made her Xmas puds on a rotation basis one or even two years ahead. I've no idea how her recipe might vary from yours, but I know it's a family one dating to pre WW1. Perhaps it's just heavy on fruit + booze.

She also sent us a retail pudding about 10 years ago made by Tiptree, when we were living in singapore. A bloody great trad style thing in a white china pudding basin. Not the easiest things to choose to serve when you're in the tropics and without a dozen or so western friends to share such with :lol: Hence that pudding followed us from posting to posting around the world. IIRC we eventually enjoyed it about 5 years later in the Middle East and it was absolutely divine.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 4th, 2021, 10:27 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I think it used to be quite common to leave a bag of the giblets inside the birds body cavity. Presumably to go towards making a gravy or similar? I've certainly accidentally cooked a chicken/turkey and only discovered a poly bag of bits and pieces inside afterwards :(

Yes, the liver and (destoned and cleaned) gizzard and sometimes the neck are left to make gravy.
The 'proper' way to present them on a dressed chicken or turkey is for slits to be made in the wing web, the liver slipped through and around on one wing side and the gizzard on the other, and the wing bones then folded beneath the bird to hold the offal firmly.
The neck would be left loose inside or even remain on the bird but folded under.

Standards have slipped! I blame the schools, Johnny Foreigner and anyone else I can think of.

Return to “Food”