Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Christmas C**ckups - Today

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
feder1
Lemon Slice

Christmas C**ckups - Today

Postby feder1 » December 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm

The parents in law order a small turkey but it was unavailable. Just for the two of them for today. Tesco or Sainsbury send a substitutuion with the weekly delivery - a 12 lb turkey sufficient fot 12 people! It has taken 3 days to defrost and will cook for a very long time today! Father in law is unimpressed.

Meanwhile the niece catering for four people finds that the ham joint, purchased in place of turkey because she has no oven, will not fit into her biggest saucepan! Doh!!

Luckily hubbie has a hacksaw....

We await results tomorrow.

Meanwhile we rather smuggly have our ready prepared lambshanks awaiting their 40 happy minutes in the oven!

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Christmas C**ckups - Today

Postby staffordian » December 25th, 2020, 3:10 pm

We ordered two individual Tesco Finest Christmas puddings as I'm the only one who likes them and this will sort me for Christmas Day and Boxing day.

But they were unavailable and Tesco substituted two large puddings instead.

It's a hard life :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 25th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I'm on my own this year so;
Christmas dinner at a reasonable hour (7pm) rather than early afternoon
Chicken breasts rather than turkey
Plenty of sprouts and pigs in blankets

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 25th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Our joint of beef bought from our local farm shop is in the overn our local veg from same shop are prepared and ready for the off, pudding, again from farm shop plus cream ditto ready to go. Distance to shop 1.5 miles. Everything sourced locally, all British. Sorry if I sound smug but these people who complain that they won't be able to get fresh food are talking through their rear end. Admitedly they've not got fresh raspberries or strawberries or avocados but they have a fine selection of British apples and they sell fresh horseradish if you want to make your own horseradish sauce.
Merry Christmas everyone and here's hoping that all goes well in 2021.

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 25th, 2020, 4:45 pm

My mother once confessed that she had dropped a bit of a clanger the first time that she cooked Christmas dinner for her new mother in law. My dad's firm had presented him with a 12 pound turkey as a Christmas gift. And she duly checked the weight, set the oven and cooked it. What could go wrong?

It was only while my father was doing the carving that the mistake came to light. The turkey still had all its innards in it. :lol:

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 25th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Our joint of beef bought from our local farm shop is in the overn our local veg from same shop are prepared and ready for the off, pudding, again from farm shop plus cream ditto ready to go. Distance to shop 1.5 miles. Everything sourced locally, all British. Sorry if I sound smug but these people who complain that they won't be able to get fresh food are talking through their rear end. Admitedly they've not got fresh raspberries or strawberries or avocados but they have a fine selection of British apples and they sell fresh horseradish if you want to make your own horseradish sauce.

R6

All good points and Boris would be proud of you. Merry Christmas indeed and 2021 could not be worse than 2020........could it?

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 25th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:Our joint of beef bought from our local farm shop is in the overn our local veg from same shop are prepared and ready for the off, pudding, again from farm shop plus cream ditto ready to go. Distance to shop 1.5 miles. Everything sourced locally, all British. Sorry if I sound smug but these people who complain that they won't be able to get fresh food are talking through their rear end. Admitedly they've not got fresh raspberries or strawberries or avocados but they have a fine selection of British apples and they sell fresh horseradish if you want to make your own horseradish sauce.

R6

All good points and Boris would be proud of you. Merry Christmas indeed and 2021 could not be worse than 2020........could it?

Dod

Parsnips (Roasted)

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 25th, 2020, 9:19 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm on my own this year so;
Christmas dinner at a reasonable hour (7pm) rather than early afternoon
Chicken breasts rather than turkey
Plenty of sprouts and pigs in blankets

I can't have sprouts anymore (IBS). We had pigs in blankies though. I prefer chicken too. Plenty of roast spuds and Yorkshire puddings too.

And this is good on the new phones

AiY

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » December 26th, 2020, 5:34 pm

bungeejumper wrote:My mother once confessed that she had dropped a bit of a clanger the first time that she cooked Christmas dinner for her new mother in law. My dad's firm had presented him with a 12 pound turkey as a Christmas gift. And she duly checked the weight, set the oven and cooked it. What could go wrong?

It was only while my father was doing the carving that the mistake came to light. The turkey still had all its innards in it. :lol:

BJ

One Christmas in Bahrain, having worked the morning shift, my wife and myself were invited to dinner with some friends, same thing happened, when the host carved the turkey, she found the paper wrapped offal in the neck cavity. Mind you, she was French and had never cooked a turkey before.

john

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 26th, 2020, 5:45 pm

I found the bacon wrapped chipolatas at the back of the oven this afternoon.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 27th, 2020, 9:52 am

feder1 wrote:Luckily hubbie has a hacksaw....

A few years back we bought a new roasting pan but hadn't got around to using it before Christmas - it was the type of pan with handles on each side.

Oven warmed and turkey in pan I go to put it in the oven. Damn, it is too wide and it won't go into the oven.

I grab the hacksaw from the shed and remove the handles so it can fit, much to the amusement of the neighbours wondering what on earth I am doing at 9am on Christmas morning.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » December 27th, 2020, 11:06 am

This thread is rather fun and tales from the past should be welcomed.

When I was a student living away from "home" I made some Christmas puddings several weeks before with plenty of mixed fruit and alcohol.

I took one to my parent's house as a present and stored my other ones in the cellar until the big day.

On Christmas Day I unwrapped the mummified pudding ready to steam it for goodness knows how long but the sight of it was absolutely revolting! It was covered with disgusting green mould!

My mother and sister never let on that the their pudding was a similar disaster, to spare my feelings no doubt. I never mentioned it.

I think the recipe that suggested making the puds weeks in advance to let them "mature" was utterly nonsensical.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 27th, 2020, 11:18 am

feder1 wrote:I think the recipe that suggested making the puds weeks in advance to let them "mature" was utterly nonsensical.

It must be in the storage, since that's exactly what the quality suppliers do with their puddings.

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 27th, 2020, 11:46 am

feder1 wrote:I think the recipe that suggested making the puds weeks in advance to let them "mature" was utterly nonsensical.

Disagree.

For really good xmas pud it needs to be made before the start of December. When I was a brat in the 60s my mum making her fantastic xmas pud in November was for me and and my sis the first reminder that xmas was on the horizon. She always used to put a sixpence in it too, and there was usually quite a hunt through all the household loose change to find a really old one that might be real silver. This naturally added to the sense of occasion and excitement.

We never had a mould problem with them, and making them well in advance was all part of the ritual. We used to get the pudding out and add brandy once a week too IIRC, although on reflection, that might have been the xmas cake.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 27th, 2020, 1:50 pm

feder1 wrote:On Christmas Day I unwrapped the mummified pudding ready to steam it for goodness knows how long but the sight of it was absolutely revolting! It was covered with disgusting green mould!

I think the recipe that suggested making the puds weeks in advance to let them "mature" was utterly nonsensical.
Emphasis added

That's sounds suspiciously like you did not cook it at all when you made it, in which case it going off is more understandable.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » December 27th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Recipes are frequently written very badly aren,t they!

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » December 27th, 2020, 5:24 pm

We bought this year's xmas pud last December with use by date of end of January 2020. It was as good as usual. We do the same every year.

john

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 28th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Mike4 wrote:Disagree. For really good xmas pud it needs to be made before the start of December. When I was a brat in the 60s my mum making her fantastic xmas pud in November was for me and and my sis the first reminder that xmas was on the horizon. She always used to put a sixpence in it too, and there was usually quite a hunt through all the household loose change to find a really old one that might be real silver. This naturally added to the sense of occasion and excitement. We never had a mould problem with them, and making them well in advance was all part of the ritual. We used to get the pudding out and add brandy once a week too IIRC, although on reflection, that might have been the xmas cake.

My experience as a sprog was almost exactly the same: except that it was at my grandparents house (same village) and pudding prep started in early October. My sister and I each poured a small quantity of brandy into the pud and made a wish, at least once a week. And the 'sixpence' wasn't a sixpence but what I think was a silver threepenny piece (was there such a thing?) that was kept for the occasion.
Grandparents also owned a fish and poultry merchant, and the outside of the index finger on my right hand is still 'overgrown' and scarred from dressing hundreds of turkeys, capons and ducks at Xmas. All poultry was dressed at the last moment to keep it moist, and we (myself and the 'poultry men') would work all through the night for the two or three days before Xmas. One of the men was Welsh and we would keep spirits up (there was coffee with brandy permanently on the hob but - sensibly - no other booze allowed as there were also some very sharp knives involved) by singing movements from Handel's Messiah or Welsh hymns (he played the organ in Rehobeth chapel, look you boy bach!).
Hard work but happy days - long gone!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 28th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Disagree.

For really good xmas pud it needs to be made before the start of December. When I was a brat in the 60s my mum making her fantastic xmas pud in November was for me and and my sis the first reminder that xmas was on the horizon. She always used to put a sixpence in it too, and there was usually quite a hunt through all the household loose change to find a really old one that might be real silver. This naturally added to the sense of occasion and excitement.

We never had a mould problem with them, and making them well in advance was all part of the ritual. We used to get the pudding out and add brandy once a week too IIRC, although on reflection, that might have been the xmas cake.

Must have been the sixpence.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 28th, 2020, 5:05 pm

stewamax wrote:And the 'sixpence' wasn't a sixpence but what I think was a silver threepenny piece (was there such a thing?) that was kept for the occasion.

Yes there was a silver threepenny, which predated the "joey". It was a bit smaller than a "tanner".

Scott.

Return to “Food”