Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Seasoning a whole roast chicken

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Seasoning a whole roast chicken

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 7th, 2021, 9:35 pm

My cousin, who worked for many years in Africa, once told me a recipe he had for chicken. It involved packing the bird with cloves of garlic, encasing the whole thing in salt then slow cooking in the oven. You then discard everything but the garlic.
It may have been in jest. I’m still not sure.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 7th, 2021, 10:31 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:My cousin, who worked for many years in Africa, once told me a recipe he had for chicken. It involved packing the bird with cloves of garlic, encasing the whole thing in salt then slow cooking in the oven. You then discard everything but the garlic.
It may have been in jest. I’m still not sure.

Reminds me of a recipe for baked stuffed marrow on TMF years ago.

Something along the lines of hollow out a marrow. Stuff the centre with mince, herbs, garlic and seasoning. Bake in the oven for 90 minutes. Eat stuffing, discard marrow.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 10th, 2021, 12:52 am

Ease the skin away from the breast before cooking (back of a spoon and be gentle) stuff under skin seasoned butter (Salt, pepper, garlic, whatever), then roast. We started doing this with turkeys at christmas but my other half has extended to same approach when roasting chickens.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 11th, 2021, 3:49 pm

I often make slits with a sharp knife and stick garlic pieces everywhere, cover with herbs, wine etc and marinate overnight. Over many years, we've found that the secret is always to marinate. With fish, it may be just three hours, but the flavour seeps in and it's much better.

Just to go off at a tangent, I was shown a nice way to barbecue a chicken 'with a beer can up its bum'. You marinate the chicken, garlic, herbs, salt etc inside and out, then get a small can of good beer - the strong dark weissbier is fine, but not obligatory. Usually the 'good' beer will be in a bottle, so you have to drink the cheap stuff first. Then you heat the beer in a microwave (NOT in the metal can!!) to save time, press the chicken onto the can and barbecue nice and slowly. Obviously, this only works if you have a bbq that can close with the chicken inside.

PS Over years I realised that the secret was in keeping it moist while cooking. You can use wine or even water and herbs in the can.

What is left in the can makes a good sauce!

Steve

Return to “Food”