Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cooking Rice

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cooking Rice

Postby kiloran » May 14th, 2021, 11:18 am

This is all so sad

Coronavirus everywhere, Israel/Gaza has kicked off again, economy in tatters, more threats of scottish independence, Liverpool struggling to get a top-4 place.

....and we are all obsessed with cooking rice??!! :shock: :oops: :lol: :(

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 14th, 2021, 11:39 am

This is healthy. It would be off-topic here to get distracted by world or UK affairs or your private obsessions. Whereas cooking rice is on-topic for a board on the subject of food.

Is it lunchtime yet? Damn, not quite.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 14th, 2021, 1:06 pm

kiloran wrote:
Liverpool struggling to get a top-4 place...

<cough>
Hey - it's a sticky situation, for sure, but I think they're just playing the long-grain....
</cough>

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » May 16th, 2021, 6:08 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:What's the thinking behind using a measured amount of water and simmering until it has all been absorbed, as opposed to just slinging rice in a large pan of salted boiling water and draining when done?

All the minerals and flavour are thrown out with the water! Good rice does have a taste.

My previous post:
viewtopic.php?p=400011#p400011

I should add that we only use best Basmati and that we never cook boiled steamed rice. We always soften onions in oil, butter or ghee first depending upon the type of dish we are making and we always use stock, never water. A month or so ago, I made djaj maqulouba, which translates into upside down chicken. This dish is easiest cooked in the oven and would be known as a pilaff. Gently fry off cloves, cardamom, cummin seeds and bayleaf in oil in a saucepan then add small onion quarters, cover and soften. Cook some chicken pieces in water to make a stock and then remove the chicken bones, (legs are tastiest). Put some chopped tomato and red pepper pieces with the onions, season, stir it all up, add the chicken pieces and rice and 1.5 times volume of stock to rice, (the added tomatoes will make the finished dish a little wet which is needed). Pour the lot into a well buttered pyrex bowl, cover well to seal and cook 18 mins in a fairly hot oven. remove from the oven, let it cool a few minutes then invert it all onto a large deep warm serving dish. Fry off some pineseeds and flaked almonds in butter and pour over the top. Eat and enjoy. There are many variations on this theme. sometimes I line the bowl with fried slices of eggplant before adding the rice. Cooked mutton or lamb is another favourite and you can add a few whole chillies if that is to your taste. As an accompaniment for curries we fry off the spices in oil then add the onions to soften, stir in the rice, add 1.5 times by volume of chicken stock, season, boil, cover and cook 18 mins as usual on the induction cooker, setting #1. In the Intercontinental Hotel in Amman, we had a monthly mansaf in the kitchen for the departement heads, but you can Google that!

john

Return to “Food”