Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tesco cremated steak

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Tesco cremated steak

Postby Clitheroekid » May 20th, 2021, 2:39 pm

I normally buy my meat from an excellent local butcher, but last night I'd been working late, and the only place open was the local Tesco, so I bought a `Finest' fillet steak.

The steak was about 1½ inches thick, and as I like it rare I'd cooked it on a high heat for about 1½ minutes either side. It was perfectly done.

But as I was throwing away the packaging I glanced at the cooking instructions, and was amazed to read:

Place steak in a dry pan and cook over a high heat for 1 minute each side. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes each side (rare) 5-6 minutes each side (medium) 7-8 minutes each side (well done).

What?? A total cooking time for a rare steak of 8 - 10 minutes? :shock: Those times are totally absurd! Their definition of a `rare' steak would be most people's definition of overcooked to the point of being inedible.

I've contacted them for comment, and I'll report back with their reply.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Tesco cremated steak

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I normally buy my meat from an excellent local butcher, but last night I'd been working late, and the only place open was the local Tesco, so I bought a `Finest' fillet steak.

The steak was about 1½ inches thick, and as I like it rare I'd cooked it on a high heat for about 1½ minutes either side. It was perfectly done.

But as I was throwing away the packaging I glanced at the cooking instructions, and was amazed to read:

Place steak in a dry pan and cook over a high heat for 1 minute each side. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes each side (rare) 5-6 minutes each side (medium) 7-8 minutes each side (well done).

What?? A total cooking time for a rare steak of 8 - 10 minutes? :shock: Those times are totally absurd! Their definition of a `rare' steak would be most people's definition of overcooked to the point of being inedible.

Pandora's Box I'm afraid. Different companies/restaurants do use different cooking times for various definitions.

AiY
My steak preference is best described as charcoal :lol:

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 20th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I normally buy my meat from an excellent local butcher, but last night I'd been working late, and the only place open was the local Tesco, so I bought a `Finest' fillet steak.

Their concerns (unfortunately) are likely to revolve around ensuring foods are cooked "properly" and such that there isn't a chance of food poisoning, or similar. Not about how consumers might have a preference for eating the product.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 20th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Elf an' safety, mate. That there steak's full of blood, you know. Dangerous stuff. Can't go letting it near your mouth until every last millimetre of it has been fully cooked through. That means at least 150 degrees for ten minutes minimum. Anyfink else is just asking for trouble. You'll be grateful for this advice one day.

If it's too tough, try a beef cobbler. You got one cobble already, aint'ya?

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 20th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Sounds blue to me, and https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-perfect-steak seems to agree...

"Fillet steak cooking times

We recommend the following cooking times for a 3.5cm thick fillet steak:

Blue: 1½ mins each side
Rare: 2¼ mins each side
Medium-rare: 3¼ mins each side
Medium: 4½ mins each side
"

Of course, YMMV :D

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 20th, 2021, 4:30 pm

I'm more surprised you managed to buy a steak 1.5 inches wide from a supermarket. Did you get it cut to size by the butcher's counter or did you really mean 1.5 cm? Most Sirloin or Rib-eye steaks I see in supermarkets have looked the same size over the years, but have just got thinner and thinner!

All the best, Si

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » May 20th, 2021, 4:49 pm

simoan wrote:I'm more surprised you managed to buy a steak 1.5 inches wide from a supermarket. Did you get it cut to size by the butcher's counter or did you really mean 1.5 cm? Most Sirloin or Rib-eye steaks I see in supermarkets have looked the same size over the years, but have just got thinner and thinner!

I didn't measure it, but I'd say it was definitely about 1½ inches, much thicker than the average supermarket steak.

I've been surprised to see that there does seem to be a consensus that my cooking time is much lower than the recommended time. I don't like my steaks bleu, and the one I had last night definitely wasn't.

I think it may be explained because I always leave my steaks to rest for a while after taking them out of the pan, and I presume they continue the cooking process, albeit much more slowly, so that by the time I eat them they are past the bleu stage.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 20th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
simoan wrote:I'm more surprised you managed to buy a steak 1.5 inches wide from a supermarket. Did you get it cut to size by the butcher's counter or did you really mean 1.5 cm? Most Sirloin or Rib-eye steaks I see in supermarkets have looked the same size over the years, but have just got thinner and thinner!

I didn't measure it, but I'd say it was definitely about 1½ inches, much thicker than the average supermarket steak.

I've been surprised to see that there does seem to be a consensus that my cooking time is much lower than the recommended time. I don't like my steaks bleu, and the one I had last night definitely wasn't.

I think it may be explained because I always leave my steaks to rest for a while after taking them out of the pan, and I presume they continue the cooking process, albeit much more slowly, so that by the time I eat them they are past the bleu stage.

It could also be explained by how you cook the steak. Different oils and fats have different smoke points. A higher smoke point fat will allow cooking at higher temperatures, cooking the steak quicker. But you're right, it will also depend how long you rest the steak as it will continue cooking.

I admit it's a while since I've seen a pre-packed steak in a supermarket 1.5 inches thick but over lockdown when butchers were shut we tried some Tesco Finest Rib-eye steaks and they were much tastier than I expected and pretty good value.

All the best, Si

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 20th, 2021, 6:35 pm

Now I need a steak.
I do mine (usually sirloin) for a minute high heat each side then another minute and a half each side lower heat for a typical supermarket steak , to medium.
If there's a reasonable amount of fat on it I'll hold the steak vertically with chopsticks, fat down, for a minute or so before the above to crisp the fat a bit.
I eat the fat, nom nom nom...

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » May 26th, 2021, 6:27 pm

Surely the cooking time depends on the steak? If you must use your thumb, it's far easier than stopwatches.

But far more important than the the cooking time is making sure the steak is fully up to room temperature before you attempt to cook it. The first instruction should always be to remove all packaging, and leave it in the kitchen for an hour or so before cooking it.

Eb,

Moosehoosenew
Lemon Pip

Postby Moosehoosenew » August 26th, 2021, 8:28 am

The juice that comes from a steak is not blood, it is myoglobin.

I think the blood left the steak when it was hung?

All bad bacteria that may be on your steak is on the outside of the steak, so short cooking times perfectly acceptable.

I have once undercooked chicken on the BBQ, not a nice result. Never had an issue with rare steaks.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 26th, 2021, 8:51 am

also take into account how close the meat is to the grill
how many bars does it have?
I have a combi microwave (they are brilliant)
with 3 grill settings
(I have only ever used No.1 and I know how many minutes for each side for steak, bacon, chicken etc)
you have to get used to whatever your own grill does

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 26th, 2021, 8:55 am

pje16 wrote:also take into account how close the meat is to the grill
how many bars does it have?
I have a combi microwave (they are brilliant)
with 3 grill settings
(I have only ever used No.1 and I know how many minutes for each side for steak, bacon, chicken etc)
you have to get used to whatever your own grill does

As I have recounted elsewhere do not let food get too close to a very hot grill, especially if there is fat around.

Dod

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 27th, 2021, 7:04 am

Eboli wrote:Surely the cooking time depends on the steak? If you must use your thumb, it's far easier than stopwatches.

But far more important than the the cooking time is making sure the steak is fully up to room temperature before you attempt to cook it. The first instruction should always be to remove all packaging, and leave it in the kitchen for an hour or so before cooking it.

Eb,

...and then check with a meat thermometer to see how much difference that actually makes!

The Reality: Let's break this down one issue at a time. First, the internal temperature. While it's true that slowly bringing a steak up to its final serving temperature will promote more even cooking, the reality is that letting it rest at room temperature accomplishes almost nothing.

To test this, I pulled a single 15-ounce New York strip steak out of the refrigerator, cut it in half, placed half back in the fridge, and the other half on a ceramic plate on the counter. The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge.

- https://www.seriouseats.com/old-wives-t ... king-steak

The meat thermometer will also come in handy for confirming whether steak is blue or rare.

Alternatively: season, sous vide, sear/blow torch and you'll know exactly what the core temp of your steak is.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 27th, 2021, 12:32 pm

When reading this, I realised that the only time that we have steak is during the barbecue season. Although some chefs don't like to do it, a few spells of food-poisoning from steak many years ago means that most meat gets well rinsed under flowing cold water prior to marinating and/or cooking.

I still remember how cooking steaks 'rare' took some getting used to. I was brought up with grandparents who cooked everything till it was almost carbon (school dinners??) and the first time I had lamb chops with pink in the middle was a revelation. I even remember the exact restaurant! Assuming that the steak is good, I do love them rare, but you have to be careful to note where you are. A rare steak in France may be still twitching. ;)

As someone already pointed out, the steak will 'set' after cooking. Many of my perfect steaks have gone from rare to medium because I underestimated this.

Now then, about the best marinade for chicken...... 8-)

Steve

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 27th, 2021, 11:04 pm

stevensfo wrote:When reading this, I realised that the only time that we have steak is during the barbecue season. Although some chefs don't like to do it, a few spells of food-poisoning from steak many years ago means that most meat gets well rinsed under flowing cold water prior to marinating and/or cooking.

Steak should be as dry as possible when cooking it, I'd finish it with a blowtorch rather than washing it which will also improve the steak.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 27th, 2021, 11:20 pm

stevensfo wrote:As someone already pointed out, the steak will 'set' after cooking. Many of my perfect steaks have gone from rare to medium because I underestimated this.

That can be a hazard in a restaurant when ordering for two when one prefers rare to medium and the other medium to well done. They tend to put them on at the same time, removing the rare one from the grill or whatever earlier. The net result being that the rare turns to medium while the other steak cooks.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 29th, 2021, 5:14 pm

However you like your steak, it still needs resting before serving.

john

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 29th, 2021, 5:26 pm

Mine gets a 30 second rest while I serve up the chips :lol:

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 30th, 2021, 9:02 am

johnstevens77 wrote:However you like your steak, it still needs resting before serving.

john

Resting is of course good, but the thing which makes most difference to meat generally and steak in particular in my book is salting. In the case of
a steak 40+ mins before cooking, enough time for the salt to draw liquid out of the steak and then be carried in as the moisture is reabsorbed. Resting reduces juice loss during eating, salting means it retains more juice during cooking. Thankfully we don't live in a world where you have to choose one or the other.

Return to “Food”