Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lemon juice drink issue

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Lemon juice drink issue

Postby MrFoolish » August 1st, 2021, 11:03 am

I like to make myself a natural lemon juice drink to take away the poor taste of my tapwater.

Into a jug of tapwater I add:

- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 sliced lime

But this is often a bit strong, so in a second jug I add a sprig of mint to water.

It all goes in the fridge. Then I mix to taste.

Normally it tastes great - lovely and lemony. But sometimes it tastes very bitter. I'm not really sure why I get this inconsistency. Would I be better juicing the lemon instead of slicing it? Any other ideas? I haven't really experimented. Thanks.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Lemon juice drink issue

Postby monabri » August 1st, 2021, 12:57 pm

Try buying a £10 jug filter.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2021, 1:07 pm

Is the mint on its own an option for the job?

For what it's worth, I sometimes flavour tapwater with lemon, and I find the squeezy lemon-lookalike juice bottles do an acceptable job[1] and offer a longer shelf-life than real lemon. But I don't keep the water in the fridge: that can to lead to less-pleasant flavours over time. Rather I'll chill it with ice cubes: although they too start life as tap water, they don't ever seem to acquire an unpleasant taste.

[1] Though I once tried a somewhat larger non-lemon-shaped version and found it an inferior product.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Is the mint on its own an option for the job?

For what it's worth, I sometimes flavour tapwater with lemon, and I find the squeezy lemon-lookalike juice bottles do an acceptable job[1] and offer a longer shelf-life than real lemon. But I don't keep the water in the fridge: that can to lead to less-pleasant flavours over time. Rather I'll chill it with ice cubes: although they too start life as tap water, they don't ever seem to acquire an unpleasant taste.

[1] Though I once tried a somewhat larger non-lemon-shaped version and found it an inferior product.

I might try the plastic lemon idea. Just thought the real thing should give better results - if I can get the consistency. It works most of the time.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 3rd, 2021, 9:59 am

Try freezing the lemon juice rather than the water. Self chilling lemon drink using only the freshest tap water.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 3rd, 2021, 6:59 pm

BobbyD wrote:

Try freezing the lemon juice rather than the water. Self chilling lemon drink using only the freshest tap water.

Some people say chilling tapwater in the fridge improves the taste because the chlorine dissipates. But I'm not entirely convinced. I've been tempted to buy a Brita jug but have been a bit put off by the need to keep buying replacement filters.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 3rd, 2021, 7:11 pm

The jug water filters do an excellent job of removing the chlorine/metallic taste. We buy universal filters from Aqua Optima which fit the Brita jugs.

https://www.aqua-optima.com/water-filte ... lters.html

The filters are available from amazon and cost £22 for 12 (£1.83 per).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Optima-RU ... B004ZKA1RI

In the past we've also bought filters in a 3 pack from Tesco but I guess all the big supermarkets sell filters.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 3rd, 2021, 7:25 pm

monabri wrote:The jug water filters do an excellent job of removing the chlorine/metallic taste. We buy universal filters from Aqua Optima which fit the Brita jugs.

https://www.aqua-optima.com/water-filte ... lters.html

The filters are available from amazon and cost £22 for 12 (£1.83 per).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Optima-RU ... B004ZKA1RI

In the past we've also bought filters in a 3 pack from Tesco but I guess all the big supermarkets sell filters.

Thanks. How many jugfulls can you put through a filter?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 3rd, 2021, 8:33 pm

The blurb says 170 litres but we do more..we probably change the filter every 2 months :oops:

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 3rd, 2021, 8:55 pm

monabri wrote:The blurb says 170 litres but we do more..we probably change the filter every 2 months :oops:

OK, so we are talking just a few pence per litre? I might have guessed a lot more, so I'm definitely interested now.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 3rd, 2021, 11:08 pm

I believe when you get a fridge-freezer plumbed in to supply chilled water and ice, it incorporates a filter. No idea what the maintenance requirements for that may be.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2021, 1:24 am

BobbyD wrote:

you can freeze lemons & limes themselves
once frozen they cut easily using a bread knife (without losing juice on the board)
- and help lower the temperature of the gin and tonic water

-sd

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » August 4th, 2021, 10:14 am

Radical solution move to Wales lovely tapwater :D

Do be a tad wary the acid in the lemon is not good for your teeth.

Mint makes a lovely tissane, hot for the digestion, chilled for refreshment.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 4th, 2021, 11:47 am

todthedog wrote:Do be a tad wary the acid in the lemon is not good for your teeth.

Thanks v much
was going to give it a try but not now :o

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 4th, 2021, 12:28 pm

todthedog wrote:Radical solution move to Wales lovely tapwater :D

Do be a tad wary the acid in the lemon is not good for your teeth.

Mint makes a lovely tissane, hot for the digestion, chilled for refreshment.

Um, it might be. If your mouth tends to alkaline (likely dental problems will be plaque and yellowing teeth, not cavities) then a hint of acid will do nicely.

But a slice of lemon as described by the OP - or my variant of a little squeeze - is negligible compared to - say - the acid in fresh fruit.

Return to “Food”