Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coffee

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Coffee

Postby redsturgeon » September 7th, 2021, 6:54 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:For Mrs RS's flat white the milk must be steamed which takes about 30 seconds and can be done while the coffee shot is pouring. Great for practising my latte art skills too (not great yet

Probably a egg sucking scenario here
- but remember to blow out some steam after removing the milk vessel
- it prevents milk creeping back up the wand which can turn in to a problem later

Sounds like a great machine and I've considered something with a proper group head for the house
- but seeing as I am presently the only coffee drinker I've stuck with my 30+ year old stove pot (bought it when I moved out to uni - still in service with it's slightly smaller 10 year old replacement)

- sd

Oh yes there is a whole cleaning ritual that I didn't go into!

john

voelkels

Postby voelkels » September 10th, 2021, 11:39 am

Until it died recently, I used a little 4-cup Mister Coffee electric drip coffee pot to make my mornings 2 mugs of coffee. I use CDM Coffee & Chicory as my usual brand of choice although there are other brands available here in S. E. Loosiana that are as good but cost a more. When that machine died, the only Mr. Coffee machines available at our local Wal-Mart were the programmable ones for $27.99, which I don’t want. I picked up the Walmart brand 5-cup machine for $9.99 as a replacement - not as well made as the Mr. Coffee, IMHO.

Due to the approach of the recent storm, I got down the old French drip coffee pot that looks something like http://www.thecajunconnection.com/frenc ... eepot.html but in blue with white speckles, and washed it well inside & out to remove the dead bugs, oil film, etc. When the power goes out, we have a 6-burner propane fired cook top that can be lit with matches for cooking. I also have a small expresso pot that goes on the stove. I finally wound up using one of the two Vietnamese coffee presses (See https://www.webstaurantstore.com/single ... smallwares ) that I bought years ago to make my morning fix by the light of a flashlight.
;-)

We got power mostly back on around noon-thirty last Friday so I’m back to using the cheap Walmart coffee machine.

C.J.V.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » September 27th, 2021, 8:36 pm

Rather a late entrant, as I rarely visit this board, but I recently acquired one of these - https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/order/m ... white-c-ne (incidentally, ignore the sticker price of £179, you can easily buy one for less than half that).

I've no pretensions to being a coffee connoisseur, but I have to say that it produces a great cup of coffee, with an excellent crema. It's incredibly easy to use, and there are 4 different sizes of coffees from a 40ml espresso to a whopping 414ml alto. One of the reasons I bought it is that I like a large cup of coffee - 230 ml - which is one of the standards here. You don't need to tell it how much water to dispense, as each pod has a barcode telling the machine the correct amount.

There are over 20 different coffees available, all of which appear to my admittedly untutored palate excellent quality, and I've really enjoyed working my way through them.

It's been criticised for being relatively expensive at 40p - 60p a cup, but it's cheap compared to a coffee shop, and as I don't drink a lot of coffee the price is irrelevant.

10/10 from me.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 27th, 2021, 8:42 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Rather a late entrant, as I rarely visit this board, but I recently acquired one of these - https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/order/m ... white-c-ne (incidentally, ignore the sticker price of £179, you can easily buy one for less than half that).

I've no pretensions to being a coffee connoisseur, but I have to say that it produces a great cup of coffee, with an excellent crema. It's incredibly easy to use, and there are 4 different sizes of coffees from a 40ml espresso to a whopping 414ml alto. One of the reasons I bought it is that I like a large cup of coffee - 230 ml - which is one of the standards here. You don't need to tell it how much water to dispense, as each pod has a barcode telling the machine the correct amount.

There are over 20 different coffees available, all of which appear to my admittedly untutored palate excellent quality, and I've really enjoyed working my way through them.

It's been criticised for being relatively expensive at 40p - 60p a cup, but it's cheap compared to a coffee shop, and as I don't drink a lot of coffee the price is irrelevant.

10/10 from me.

Yes and the other great thing about these machines is that there is no mess, wastage or cleaning rituals. Which of course is why you increasingly see them in hotel rooms.

A little more expensive per cup perhaps. But worth it for the convenient and hassle-free caffeination.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » September 27th, 2021, 9:06 pm

I will never understand the appeal of nespresso, the coffee is third rate, its expensive compared to just about any other system and the pods are terrible for the environment, oh and also Nestle are a company with a horrible ethical record on so many things.

0/10

Still it leaves more of the good stuff for me to buy :)

Return to “Food”