Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tesco,s Brown Eggs

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
James
Lemon Slice

Re: Tesco,s Brown Eggs

Postby James » December 12th, 2021, 10:34 am

Dod101 wrote:
James wrote:
kempiejon wrote:Who'd have thought there was so much to it.
https://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Hard-Boile ... t-Cracking

I am frankly amazed that my mother and grandmother were able, using just a wood- and coal-fired range, to boil an egg. That link has given me a whole new respect for their culinary genius in the face of adversity. And to do it without cracking a single egg in the 50-plus years that I've seen them do it? Colour me flabbergasted.

I do not think with the greatest respect that your mother or grandmother were necessarily genius cooks, at least not from the evidence presented so far. They probably started the eggs off in cold water and gently boiled them, and in your grandmother's case at least, from room temperature. There is a lot of stuff we keep in fridges which do not need to be kept there, eggs being one of them.

Recently I was chatting to my mature adult daughter about keeping food in 'the old days' pre fridges. I must be getting old.

Dod

I wouldn't discount the high likelihood that I was being sarcastic.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 12th, 2021, 10:49 am

If you buy good quality organic eggs from healthy hens the shells will be much thicker
Soil association standards are the best for eggs.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 12th, 2021, 12:08 pm

James wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
James wrote:
I am frankly amazed that my mother and grandmother were able, using just a wood- and coal-fired range, to boil an egg. That link has given me a whole new respect for their culinary genius in the face of adversity. And to do it without cracking a single egg in the 50-plus years that I've seen them do it? Colour me flabbergasted.

I do not think with the greatest respect that your mother or grandmother were necessarily genius cooks, at least not from the evidence presented so far. They probably started the eggs off in cold water and gently boiled them, and in your grandmother's case at least, from room temperature. There is a lot of stuff we keep in fridges which do not need to be kept there, eggs being one of them.

Recently I was chatting to my mature adult daughter about keeping food in 'the old days' pre fridges. I must be getting old.

Dod

I wouldn't discount the high likelihood that I was being sarcastic.

Neither would I nor did I when I responded.

Dod

Return to “Food”