Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Something awful in my fish fillet

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Something awful in my fish fillet

Postby bungeejumper » October 28th, 2021, 9:59 am

Not for the squeamish, this. So don't read the following if you haven't had your breakfast yet.

Cod worm. There, I've said it. (I did warn you, didn't I?) Last night, this two inch little brown bootlace in my breaded haddock fillet put my wife right off her supper, even though it was twice dead. (Once from having been frozen, and again from having been thoroughly cooked.) But I think it might be a while before I eat sushi again? :|

Apparently, they're everywhere these days, in all kinds of white fish and particularly in herrings, which at least have the decency to be brown so that you don't see them. I gather that they used to be a largely East Pacific thing, but that they've spread somewhat these days and now include Pacific salmon (although not the farmed variety).

The good news, they're harmless to humans as long as they're properly dead. But some folk have had gut infestations from them, which is why sushi is always frozen for 72 hours. (Er, allegedly. :? )

I wish I could say I'm reassured that fish-restaurant chefs are expert at "candling" worms out of freshly caught raw fish, but I doubt that the same is true of the supermarket processors who just bundle whatever comes out of the trawlers' freezers into their breaded/battered foods?

Oh well, I'll get over it in time, I suppose. Was I just unlucky? Please, somebody, tell me I was? And tell my wife as well?

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Something awful in my fish fillet

Postby pje16 » October 28th, 2021, 10:00 am

Yuk
you sure you're ok?

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 28th, 2021, 1:00 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Not for the squeamish, this. So don't read the following if you haven't had your breakfast yet.

Cod worm. There, I've said it. (I did warn you, didn't I?) Last night, this two inch little brown bootlace in my breaded haddock fillet put my wife right off her supper, even though it was twice dead. (Once from having been frozen, and again from having been thoroughly cooked.) But I think it might be a while before I eat sushi again? :|

Apparently, they're everywhere these days, in all kinds of white fish and particularly in herrings, which at least have the decency to be brown so that you don't see them. I gather that they used to be a largely East Pacific thing, but that they've spread somewhat these days and now include Pacific salmon (although not the farmed variety).

The good news, they're harmless to humans as long as they're properly dead. But some folk have had gut infestations from them, which is why sushi is always frozen for 72 hours. (Er, allegedly. :? )

I wish I could say I'm reassured that fish-restaurant chefs are expert at "candling" worms out of freshly caught raw fish, but I doubt that the same is true of the supermarket processors who just bundle whatever comes out of the trawlers' freezers into their breaded/battered foods?

Oh well, I'll get over it in time, I suppose. Was I just unlucky? Please, somebody, tell me I was? And tell my wife as well?

BJ

No, I'm afraid you weren't. It happened to me, although in a haddock fishcake. I've not touched either since. I made the mistake of doing some research on the internet. Apparently/allegedly (take your pick) in processing plants they hold the fish up to ultra violet light to detect them...so prevalent are they. Urgh

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 28th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Oh my Cod! Sound the alarm!

You want to fry it in garlic butter, of course. With a drop of white wine if you want to splash out. Add salt and pepper to taste.

wydffa

Postby wydffa » October 28th, 2021, 5:56 pm

I did a degree in marine biology and had to stop cooking fish for many years because I could always find a worm.
I no longer look

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 28th, 2021, 8:14 pm

just did my weekly shop
got some fresh fish
might eat it blindfolded after reading this :roll:

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 28th, 2021, 11:06 pm

I read a news article many years ago about a woman finding a cod worm in her 'Filet of Fish' burger
I had a nightmare that night
I'd bought a burger and, for some reason lifted up the bun
The whole thing was a cod worm, coiled up like a Cumberland Ring, and it lifted its wee head and looked at me....

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 29th, 2021, 11:56 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I read a news article many years ago about a woman finding a cod worm in her 'Filet of Fish' burger
I had a nightmare that night
I'd bought a burger and, for some reason lifted up the bun
The whole thing was a cod worm, coiled up like a Cumberland Ring, and it lifted its wee head and looked at me....

What did it taste like?

If you batter it, it will stop it lifting it's head

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 22nd, 2021, 6:59 pm

So this is what they mean when they speak of the piece of cod that passeth all understanding! ;)

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » December 23rd, 2021, 3:29 pm

This thread has really upset me so I have stopped eating fish other than tinned tuna.

However, is it "safe" to eat farmed fish such as salmon, trout and seabass please?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 23rd, 2021, 3:45 pm

feder1 wrote:This thread has really upset me so I have stopped eating fish other than tinned tuna.

However, is it "safe" to eat farmed fish such as salmon, trout and seabass please?

How do you know that tinned tuna is "safe"?

I suspect that many things we eat are contaminated in some way. I seem to remember reading some years ago about the number of spiders and whatever in our bread.

Best not to think about it

--kiloran

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 23rd, 2021, 4:09 pm

kiloran wrote:I suspect that many things we eat are contaminated in some way. I seem to remember reading some years ago about the number of spiders and whatever in our bread.

In the USA the Food and Drug Administration offers tables of limits on foreign particles in food in the catchily named Food Defect Levels Handbook
https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-ad ... s-handbook
I remember looking up acceptable levels of insect matter and rodent filth in peanut butter.
Fish are about halfway down the linked handbook. Don't read any of it...

gadjet
Lemon Pip

Postby gadjet » December 28th, 2021, 3:56 pm

This is the first time I've looked at the "Food" section and I'm never going to look at it again !!

Sue

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 30th, 2021, 11:33 am

I wonder how long before the level of plastics in fish begins killing us.
It's a race with climate change.

Is there a diet that omits fish but not meat?

V8

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 30th, 2021, 11:42 am

88V8 wrote:I wonder how long before the level of plastics in fish begins killing us.
It's a race with climate change.

Is there a diet that omits fish but not meat?

V8

It's not just in fish, there's microplastics in our water, air and plenty of food stuffs.
some thoughts and extracts from studies here https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... every-year

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 30th, 2021, 12:32 pm

kempiejon wrote:It's not just in fish, there's microplastics in our water, air and plenty of food stuffs.
some thoughts and extracts from studies here https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... every-year

Used to read Nat Geographic at the dentist, there's a lot of good stuff in there.
I noticed People who meet their recommended water intake through tap water ingest an additional 4,000 plastic particles annually, while those who drink only bottled water ingest an additional 90,000, the study found.
Always thought bottled water was overrated.

I see the greatest source of microplastics is debris from washing clothes. Another activity that's overrated.

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 30th, 2021, 12:48 pm

88V8 wrote:People who meet their recommended water intake through tap water ingest an additional 4,000 plastic particles annually, while those who drink only bottled water ingest an additional 90,000, the study found.[/i]
Always thought bottled water was overrated.
V8

Bottled water fact

Evian is an anagram of...

Naive

:lol:

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 4th, 2022, 6:53 pm

I remember buying some fresh fish fillets from Lobster Place/Chelsea Market in Manhattan. Got them home and 'all these little blood red worms were standing up and waving hello'. I e-mailed the shop and their reply was roughtly 'Oh that's normal, we do screen each fillet over a lamp but some get through and don't worry they're harmless. We're happy to refund your purchase if you wish though'.

Unless you're catching your own fish I wouldn't think about it, even then if you cook it properly... do you think these things thrive in just fish? Oh then, with my former parasitologists hat on you better be really afraid :lol:

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 5th, 2022, 2:53 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I remember buying some fresh fish fillets from Lobster Place/Chelsea Market in Manhattan. Got them home and 'all these little blood red worms were standing up and waving hello'......with my former parasitologists hat on you better be really afraid

No problem, just baste them with Ivermectin. It will clear out your tapeworms at the same time :)

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 5th, 2022, 2:57 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I remember buying some fresh fish fillets from Lobster Place/Chelsea Market in Manhattan. Got them home and 'all these little blood red worms were standing up and waving hello'.

I hope you waved back :lol:
uuugghhhhh

Return to “Food”