Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Parsley Box

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Parsley Box

Postby Clitheroekid » December 22nd, 2021, 7:27 pm

I came across this company not in the context of wanting to buy their food, but because I'd been following the downward trajectory of their share price from 200p when they IPO'd in March to 37p today.

Out of interest I looked at their website, to see what treats were on offer - https://www.parsleybox.com/menu/

It looks like typical pub grub, and while hardly tickling my taste buds it's undoubtedly cheap.

But I was shocked when I looked at individual meals to see that they are (at least the ones I looked at) just 270g.

This is an absolutely tiny meal, and would hardly satisfy the average mouse. A typical one person chill meal from Tesco or Sainsbury's is 450g - nearly 70% bigger - and even they are hardly filling for a normal person. No wonder they're so cheap if they're so small.

As the prices seem comparable with those supermarket meals it seems that in practical terms you're paying a 70% premium for delivery.

But perhaps I'm just a greedy git - do other Fools consider these meals are adequate for what's presumably designed to be a a main evening meal?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Parsley Box

Postby Dod101 » December 22nd, 2021, 9:57 pm

AS it happens I keep a couple of frozen meals by COOK in my freezer in case of emergencies. I do not buy supermarket frozen meals. One of them is 260 gms and the other 300 gms. I find them very adequate so I do not think the number you quote of 270 gms is out of line. Maybe a little on the small side but not far out. Are they intended to be self contained as it were or do you or could you add say boiled rice?

Dod

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » December 23rd, 2021, 1:15 am

We have some in reserve. They are not very appetising. You wouldn't want to eat them regularly.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 23rd, 2021, 9:26 am

The weight isn't everything, of course. If there's a high protein content, you'll feel satiated sooner. (Half a pound of chocolate, anyone?) Although I suppose an unaccompanied half pound steak might also keep me happy for a while. :lol:

But yes, 270 grammes is taking the p unless it's a slimmer's meal. I sometimes buy an 800 gramme pasta bake for two people, but I wouldn't put it on a plate without tomato and a couple of veg to add a bit of variety - not to say, a bit of nutritional balance.

We don't ever eat a pud after our evening meal, but I suspect that the sleight-of-hand from manufacturers supposes that we do. I daresay it all helps to keep their costs down?

[Edit]: The Dukan diet relies on small high protein meals as a way of losing weight. My doctor recommended I try it. It worked okay, except that it made my breath smell. And then I found out what a protein overload does to your kidneys...... :?

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 23rd, 2021, 9:58 am

Of course, the simple fact is that most of us overeat anyway, including me I am sure. COOK are the only prepared meals that I eat and I can recommend them as being authentic and tasty with a huge variety.

As for protein overload, the answer of course is a balanced regime with plenty of fruit and veg.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 23rd, 2021, 10:20 am

Dod101 wrote:As for protein overload, the answer of course is a balanced regime with plenty of fruit and veg.

LOL, but that wouldn't be the high-protein Dukan diet, which was the point I was making. :) In fact, we both agree on the need for fruit and veg. (I realised the other week that my wife and I get through 8 kg of f & v a week, which surprised me. It turns out that we're more veggie and/or flexitarian than I'd supposed!)

My trouble, though, is that I'm a lazy cook, and I don't usually feel like spending an hour and a half on preparing a 15 minute meal. (And you can only eat so much 30 minute ratatouille, and live.) Hence the occasional appeal of something out of the fridge freezer at the end of a long and busy day. Which is where we came in, I think?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 23rd, 2021, 10:24 am

bungeejumper wrote:And then I found out what a protein overload does to your kidneys...... :?

BJ

Don't leave us in suspense!

Is the outcome as unattractive as the meals depicted on the parsleybox website? Given the name of a wholesome herb, I feel cheated!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 23rd, 2021, 10:30 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:And then I found out what a protein overload does to your kidneys...... :?

Don't leave us in suspense!

Don't buy any long playing records. :lol: Bit of an exaggeration, but it accelerates any kidney deterioration that you may already have. Which, for the over-fifties, means most of us. :|

BJ (heavy herb and paprika nut, but relatively indifferent to parsley)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 23rd, 2021, 11:04 am

bungeejumper wrote:BJ (heavy herb and paprika nut, but relatively indifferent to parsley)

Hmmm. I called parsley a wholesome herb. Not a favourite herb. I'll stick by both those evaluations.

A tip from my late mum. Parsley is great when brewing up an artichoke soup. Though it won't prevent the artichokes making you want to avoid company the morning after.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 23rd, 2021, 11:46 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Dod101 wrote:As for protein overload, the answer of course is a balanced regime with plenty of fruit and veg.

LOL, but that wouldn't be the high-protein Dukan diet, which was the point I was making. :) In fact, we both agree on the need for fruit and veg. (I realised the other week that my wife and I get through 8 kg of f & v a week, which surprised me. It turns out that we're more veggie and/or flexitarian than I'd supposed!)

My trouble, though, is that I'm a lazy cook, and I don't usually feel like spending an hour and a half on preparing a 15 minute meal. (And you can only eat so much 30 minute ratatouille, and live.) Hence the occasional appeal of something out of the fridge freezer at the end of a long and busy day. Which is where we came in, I think?

BJ

I think we can all be lazy cooks but I do it out of necessity and do enjoy food. I eat quite a lot of fish because most are easy to cook, do not take long and I very much enjoy. And of course shellfish can be served plain or curried and all sorts in between. I agree though with maintaining stuff in the fridge/freezer although I do not have many busy days.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 23rd, 2021, 12:59 pm

LOL, just took a look at the ParsleyBox website. CK is really not exaggerating! The chart-topping turkey dinner comes in at a belt-busting 270 grammes. Mmmm, doesn't that look appetising? https://www.parsleybox.com/product/Turkey-Dinner/ . I guess they'd have liked to add a few bits of holly and a cracker, but it would only have increased their costs?

There's something seriously wrong with the marketing plan of a company that thinks this is okay at Christmas. Unless, I suppose, it's deliberately pitching for the care-home end of the market? Even the Sally Army could do better than that, and at least they'd deliver it with some warmth and a smile. And a cracker, and a party hat.

In the meantime, look on the bright side. ParsleyBox has chopped the price of its mince pies by 66%, and its dinner-for-one christmas pudding (100 grammes) is now down to a bargain 79p.

Vanilla custard can be ordered for the same price. Fill your boots! :lol:

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 23rd, 2021, 1:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:LOL, just took a look at the ParsleyBox website. CK is really not exaggerating! The chart-topping turkey dinner comes in at a belt-busting 270 grammes. Mmmm, doesn't that look appetising? https://www.parsleybox.com/product/Turkey-Dinner/ . I guess they'd have liked to add a few bits of holly and a cracker, but it would only have increased their costs?

There's something seriously wrong with the marketing plan of a company that thinks this is okay at Christmas. Unless, I suppose, it's deliberately pitching for the care-home end of the market? Even the Sally Army could do better than that, and at least they'd deliver it with some warmth and a smile. And a cracker, and a party hat.

In the meantime, look on the bright side. ParsleyBox has chopped the price of its mince pies by 66%, and its dinner-for-one christmas pudding (100 grammes) is now down to a bargain 79p.

Vanilla custard can be ordered for the same price. Fill your boots! :lol:

BJ

Jeez, what an unappetizing and under ooked-looking meal.

Also appears to have been served on a tea plate to make it look bigger, judging by the size of the fork in the right of the photo!

I think you might be right about them being aimed at the care home market. I also agree with Dod, the COOK branded frozen meals in all the petrol stations around here are superb in quality if shockingly expensive. And as usual their 'meal for two' is usually about right for one.

Oink....

Return to “Food”