Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Red Lentil Renaissance

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Red Lentil Renaissance

Postby GeoffF100 » March 7th, 2022, 8:06 am

jackdaww wrote:.

lentils, chick peas , beans , peas etc contain both protein and carbohydrate .

some people cant tolerate this combination and need to eat them separately.

ref HAY diet i think .

but they are gluten free .

:(

That would be difficult, unless you only eat sugar and protein powder, and you will not last long on that.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » March 11th, 2022, 6:43 pm

redsturgeon posted

This is my go to red lentil dhal.

https://veggiedesserts.com/red-lentil-dahl/

Well, we all have different tastes, that's for sure. I tried your recipe and made it exactly according to the recipe and made enough for 4 portions. 3.75 portions ended up in the bin. I think it must just be the addition of either the tomatoes or the coconut milk or both as I found the taste...well, not to my taste.

I did try making another batch without either the tomatoes or the coconut milk and replacing the liquid with vegetable stock (Marigold organic to be precise). This was much more to my taste and I've tried it with all three suggested additions (naan, bombay potatoes and tumeric rice) and loved all three (though I did add a handful of frozen peas to the Bombay potatoes).

I suspect that dhal is just one of those things that is best when you keep it simple.

Eb.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » March 12th, 2022, 9:11 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
https://runningonrealfood.com/red-lentil-tomato-soup/

She adds celery and Brussels sprouts. As with most similar recipes, she does not cook the kale. I found it rather challenging raw. Nonetheless, food for thought. Or thought for food.

How refreshing for a recipe not to start with frying onions. I avoid all frying these days - makes eating out difficult, or eating anywhere for that matter. Why spend all that money on cold-pressed extra virgin oils only to turn them into trans fats by subjecting them to extremely high temperatures. Anyway.

I've not got 4 tabs open on my laptop following links from this thread. I'm going to give the soup, the red lentil curry and the Missi Roti a go this week.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 12th, 2022, 9:38 am

Fluke wrote:Why spend all that money on cold-pressed extra virgin oils only to turn them into trans fats by subjecting them to extremely high temperatures.

Olive oil is mostly monounsaturated, and is one of the most heat stable oils. Rape seed oil contains omega 3 polyunsaturated fat, which is good, but it produces trans fat when it oxidises. (Keep it in the fridge if you use it.) If you must fry, olive oil is a good choice, but it is best not to fry at all.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » March 12th, 2022, 10:36 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Olive oil is mostly monounsaturated, and is one of the most heat stable oils.

Yes in that it's ok to bake with (below 180º), or sautéd where it's mixed with water - keeps the temperature from rising too high too fast, which is what causes the change.

Rape seed oil contains omega 3 polyunsaturated fat, which is good, but it produces trans fat when it oxidises. (Keep it in the fridge if you use it.)

presumably you mean the cold-pressed stuff not the refined stuff you buy in large plastic bottles.

A MUCH better source of omega 3 is flaxseed (or linseed) oil, not for heating through, it is very unstable. Contains no saturated fat, I take about 30mls a day in smoothies/salads etc. I get mine from here:

https://www.flaxfarm.co.uk

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 12th, 2022, 11:57 am

Fluke wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:
Olive oil is mostly monounsaturated, and is one of the most heat stable oils.

Yes in that it's ok to bake with (below 180º), or sautéd where it's mixed with water - keeps the temperature from rising too high too fast, which is what causes the change.

Rape seed oil contains omega 3 polyunsaturated fat, which is good, but it produces trans fat when it oxidises. (Keep it in the fridge if you use it.)

presumably you mean the cold-pressed stuff not the refined stuff you buy in large plastic bottles.

A MUCH better source of omega 3 is flaxseed (or linseed) oil, not for heating through, it is very unstable. Contains no saturated fat, I take about 30mls a day in smoothies/salads etc. I get mine from here:

https://www.flaxfarm.co.uk

The rape seed oil in plastic bottles is much the same as cold pressed, but may have some/more trans fat in it already due to heat treatment.

I buy brown linseed from Holland & Barrett, and grind it with a coffee grinder.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 14th, 2022, 11:13 am

We use lots of dried peas, beans and lentils.
A good source is https://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/
3 recipes that I entrust to my wife are as below.

Spiced Tomato and Lentil Soup (fron sanjeevkapoor)

1 onion – half finely diced, the other half a bit bigger
oil for frying
2 cloves of garlic (or equivalent puree)
3 tsp cumin seeds
1 red pepper – finely diced (this is the only non-store cupboard item and is completely optional)
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
4 tsp of tomato puree
2 litres of hot vegetable stock
150 g - 200g of red lentils (depending on quite how thick you want it), rinsed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp mixed herbs
half tsp dried chilli flakes (or 1tsp of chilli powder)
salt + pepper to taste
2 bay leaves

Method

Heat the oil in a large stock pot (ideally with a lid) then add all the onions. The hope is the little ones will goop down into the soup while the large ones provide the occasional chunk.

Add the garlic and cumin seeds. Stir together well then leave to cook for a few minutes – lid on. The onions should soften not brown.

Add the red pepper (if you’re using it) and repeat the stirring and couple of minutes of softening.

Add the tomatoes, the hot vegetable stock, the tomato puree (I usually "melt it into the stock, to make sure it’s well distributed throughout) and all the spices – except for the bay leaves. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 mins.

Another optional stage, for a smoother soup at the end – using a stick blender, blitz some of the bigger tomato chunks. I still like small chunks of veg in it though, so don’t take it too smooth – just a little blitzing.

Add the bay leaves and the lentils. Stir then leave to simmer for about 15 mins – stir it occasionally as the lentils will keep sinking to the bottom.

The soup is ready when the lentils are well cooked – soft but not mush.

Spicy Carrot and Lentil Soup

This recipe is a cheap and easy tasty soup with protein and fibre from the lentils.

A hand or stick blender works best. but you could use a potato masher.
For 6 servings, you will need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion (about 100g) peeled & chopped
½ teaspoon ground cumin (Preferably roasted and fresh ground).
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander (We always grind fresh from seeds in a coffee grinder).
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
300g carrots peeled & chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled & finely chopped
100g red lentils
1 vegetable stock cube
Salt (preferably low salt substitute)
Ground black pepper
¼ lemon
Pinch or two of sugar
6 tablespoons of natural live yoghurt

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and spices and sauté
for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and carrots and continue to
sauté for a few more minutes until the onions are softened. Add the
lentils and continue cooking for another minute.
2. Dissolve the stock cube in 1 litre boiling water and add to the pan.
3. Simmer with a lid on until the carrots are soft.
4. Use a hand blender to make a smooth soup. If you don’t have a
blender you could use a potato masher. Add a little boiling water if the
soup is too thick for you.
5. Add a few grinds of black pepper and the juice from the lemon.
Balance the flavour with salt and a pinch or two of sugar if needed.
6. Ladle the soup into six bowls and swirl a tablespoon of yoghurt in
each.

And this one from bbc good food

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/9109/r ... entil-dahl
Except that we only use half a can coconut milk.

I made bolognaise last week using 1/3 beef, 1/3 red lentils and 1/3 onions, carrots and celery with a beef stock cube and lots of seasonings e.g oregano, chilli and garlic in the Sicilian style.

john

Return to “Food”