Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Hazelnut Coffee

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Hazelnut Coffee

Postby vrdiver » March 18th, 2022, 12:31 am

When I travel to the USA, one of the things I like is the hazelnut coffee that you can buy in most coffee shops.

Back in the UK, hazelnut syrup added to coffee is ghastly-sweet and not the same flavour.

Any suggestions as to what to buy to re-create that USA experience appreciated!

VRD

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Hazelnut Coffee

Postby stevensfo » March 18th, 2022, 6:26 pm

vrdiver wrote:When I travel to the USA, one of the things I like is the hazelnut coffee that you can buy in most coffee shops.

Back in the UK, hazelnut syrup added to coffee is ghastly-sweet and not the same flavour.

Any suggestions as to what to buy to re-create that USA experience appreciated!

VRD

I've never heard of Hazelnut coffee, (Why is it called coffee??) but the irony of a UK substitute being sweeter than the USA version, is kind of funny. 8-)

Steve

PS for your own health, always avoid anything with the word 'syrup' in it!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 18th, 2022, 7:44 pm

stevensfo wrote:I've never heard of Hazelnut coffee, (Why is it called coffee??) but the irony of a UK substitute being sweeter than the USA version, is kind of funny. 8-)

That was my instant reaction.

Then I thought "irish coffee", and all those variants with different boozes in. Coffee-based drinks with unexpected flavours can be good. Why not hazelnut too?

So I shall watch this thread for any suggestions that appear worth a try. :)

And being sweeter? Just a thought, but could it be using one of those truly foul sugar-substitutes that are supposedly non-fattening?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 18th, 2022, 8:38 pm

stevensfo wrote:
I've never heard of Hazelnut coffee, (Why is it called coffee??) but the irony of a UK substitute being sweeter than the USA version, is kind of funny. 8-)

Well, some have been known to add things like sugar, chocolate or a dash of milk to coffee. I believe that the French add chicory. Some get it totally wrong and add a dash of coffee to the milk.

I say, drink your coffee how you like it.

There is a difference between vanilla sugar, vanilla essence, vanilla flavoring and vanilla pods. ALL used in baking. Likewise there is a difference between Hazelnut syrup, essence etc.

I haven't tried Hazelnut coffee, but if doing it at home, have you considered simply adding chopped hazelnuts to the brewing coffee.
https://www.mrcoffee.com/on/demandware. ... t-Goodness

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 18th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Sorry to post over my own post.

However it may be of interest that the Youtube channel "Tasting history" did coffee last week (yes only just caught up).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNIrP_aqwQY

It's worth watching.
Though the coffee that he makes has no extras. Just add ground coffee to cold water, bring to the boil and let steep. He is following a historic recipe, so expect the difference,

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 18th, 2022, 10:53 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Well, some have been known to add things like sugar, chocolate or a dash of milk to coffee. I believe that the French add chicory. Some get it totally wrong and add a dash of coffee to the milk.

I say, drink your coffee how you like it.

There is a difference between vanilla sugar, vanilla essence, vanilla flavoring and vanilla pods. ALL used in baking. Likewise there is a difference between Hazelnut syrup, essence etc.

I haven't tried Hazelnut coffee, but if doing it at home, have you considered simply adding chopped hazelnuts to the brewing coffee.
https://www.mrcoffee.com/on/demandware. ... t-Goodness

In Italy, there's caffe' corretto, which is an espresso with a bit of grappa added. Of course, grappa can easily become cognac, whisky or whatever you want it to be. The quantity of alcohol to add can keep a conversation going for ages! ;)

Re. Chicory, wasn't that Camp Coffee that I remember from the 70s? As a teenager, I quite liked it.

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 19th, 2022, 4:16 am

stevensfo wrote:Chicory, wasn't that Camp Coffee that I remember from the 70s? As a teenager, I quite liked it

Looked like a bottle of HP, tasted like sawdust?

For hazelnut coffee I'd start by adding Frangelico

-sd

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 19th, 2022, 8:41 am

i put a small amount of ground cinnamon into the pod with the ground coffee for my espresso s

I like it...and they say cinnamon is good for all sorts of things...................my fingers are crossed !

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 19th, 2022, 9:04 am

stevensfo wrote:I've never heard of Hazelnut coffee, (Why is it called coffee??) but the irony of a UK substitute being sweeter than the USA version, is kind of funny. 8-)

PS for your own health, always avoid anything with the word 'syrup' in it!

With the exception of maple syrup, I'll agree with you :)

Re the coffee - it's coffee with a flavouring (or flavoring, I suppose).

I've tried the hazelnut syrup (too sweet, wrong flavour), adding ground roast hazelnuts to the coffee brew (waste of time) and using hazelnut milk (not the same, at all, especially as I drink coffee black).

I'm hoping some other Lemon will have cracked the problem, possibly by identifying a source of the right coffee I can buy.

VRD

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » March 19th, 2022, 9:11 am

I've never tried it. Googling the problem says that Whittard (and I'm sure other companies) seem hazelnut flavoured coffee.
Instructions for making your own just seem to tell you to put roast hazelnuts throughout the grinder with the coffee beans.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 19th, 2022, 9:12 am

Looking at Amazon for "hazelnut coffee", you can buy ground coffee flavoured with hazelnut.

On amazon.com there's a lot more choice, so that may be the sort of thing you're getting in the US.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 19th, 2022, 9:27 am

mutantpoodle wrote:i put a small amount of ground cinnamon into the pod with the ground coffee for my espresso s

I like it...and they say cinnamon is good for all sorts of things...................my fingers are crossed !

Yes, I believe I once tried a bit in coffee, but it's mainly used in our house for apple pies and gluhwein at Christmas.

Not sure it's good for anything. Most herbs and spices go through the 'good for you' fashions. Pill producers and health shops make a fortune out of it!

At the moment, it's Turmeric that's supposed to cure everything from headaches to world poverty. 8-)

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 19th, 2022, 11:44 am

vrdiver wrote:I'm hoping some other Lemon will have cracked the problem, possibly by identifying a source of the right coffee I can buy.

Don't you think servodude's suggestion might have legs?

stevensfo wrote:At the moment, it's Turmeric that's supposed to cure everything from headaches to world poverty. 8-)
Steve

And turns you very orange! Could it be a certain ex-POTUS's magic ingredient?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 19th, 2022, 1:52 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
vrdiver wrote:I'm hoping some other Lemon will have cracked the problem, possibly by identifying a source of the right coffee I can buy.

Don't you think servodude's suggestion might have legs?

I wasn't really after a liqueur coffee, although it does sound nice!

I'm trying to replicate the sort of coffee you can buy in just about any coffee shop in, say Chicago or similar urban area; sold as "Hazelnut coffee", probably made from beans that have been artificially flavoured, rather than a natural hazelnut extract. If anybody already knew of a particular brand or product that was the same then that would save me from random purchases to see if a product was similar to what I wanted...

Return to “Food”