Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Ninja Cookers

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Ninja Cookers

Postby Rhyd6 » March 20th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Anyone got one? Are they worth the money, do they do what it says on the lid? We have a gas hob and electric oven and although the gas hob is fine the electric oven has seen better days. We don't use it often, if I'm making a casserole or stew I always use the slow cooker but a friend is a convert to the Ninja. I might invest because we bought a Panasonic breadmaker after multiple recommendations on the board so I thought I'd check out with you all.

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Ninja Cookers

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 20th, 2022, 8:10 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Anyone got one? Are they worth the money, do they do what it says on the lid? We have a gas hob and electric oven and although the gas hob is fine the electric oven has seen better days. We don't use it often, if I'm making a casserole or stew I always use the slow cooker but a friend is a convert to the Ninja. I might invest because we bought a Panasonic breadmaker after multiple recommendations on the board so I thought I'd check out with you all.

R6

I have one. I like it, and it gets used reasonably regularly - though nowhere near as often as the hob, or probably the microwave.

I too have a hob that's fine and an oven that's crap. The ninja's oven function is excellent, so I use it whenever there's a choice. The other ninja function that gets most use is the slow cooker: if I'm out for the evening, I can put something on after lunch, and come back to a lovely smell and delicious meal at midnight, or whatever. I'd be a bit apprehensive about leaving the hob on when I'm out, but no worries about the ninja.

The downside is its size. Twice over: it's a big beast to give houseroom to, and (among other things) needs worktop space without a wall cupboard above. But as an oven it's small: if I want to do anything bigger - from a pizza to a squash or marrow - it's far too small.

I'd strongly recommend it as a mini-kitchen to someone at the bedsit stage of life with limited facilities, and I could wish I'd had it in my youth. If you have your own kitchen it's a little extra luxury, but be aware of the space it takes, and that it duplicates things you already have.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 22nd, 2022, 12:05 pm

Thanks UE, I don't think I'll bother. Already have a decent combi microwave, slow cooker etc. We're OK in the winter because our ancient Esse (poor man's Aga but less expensive and cheaper to run) is great it's just for the hot weather but having survived for many years without a Ninja am sure I can see out remaining years without one :)

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Covid Soup (Re: Ninja Cookers)

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 26th, 2022, 11:31 am

Covid soup last night (and there's plenty left for the fridge and freezer) reminded me how good the Ninja's slow cooker is.

Covid soup? Yeah, changes from the planned ingredients. I had things that needed using up. And I had failed to go and forage nettles - which have been ruthlessly cleared from where I got them a year ago. So a thoroughly experimental soup that turns out one of my best ever: a triple theme to the taste with each theme both distinct and delicious. I'll never be able to repeat it and 'cos of the covid I can't even share it with friends, but in case anyone wants to try ...

I pre-fried (Ninja "sear/sauté" function) two small onions (i.e. what I had), three small birds-eye chillies, and a modest chunk of ginger, all finely chopped. The chilli-ginger heat - distinct but not overwhelming - was one of the three flavour themes in the soup. Turn heat off after pre-fry.

Peel and chop up eight artichokes (planned main ingredient along with nettles I don't have). Add to the ninja. The artichokes are another of the three flavour themes.

Unplanned ingredient: two-thirds of a tin of chopped tomatoes, opened pre-covid and orphaned by my self-isolating from shopping, so needed using up. A little more water (but sparingly) and a veg stock cube. Turn the heat back on to warm these things up. Add the parsley that had been a planned complement to the artichokes all along.

Genius unplanned ingredient: Lentils. And based on what wanted using up, not the orange split lentils I'd more usually use for soup, but stronger "dark speckled" lentils. These, helped by the tomatoes and other ingredients, supplied the core of third main flavour: a rich savoury, or more fashionably, "umami".

Then add milk (hence, not too much water earlier) - a tip from my late lamented mother about taming the artichokes and their after-effects. Six hours in the slow cooker on low also helps with the day after, and indeed I've been free of a mightily fragrant wind this morning. Not that I was going to let that worry me when I'm already self-isolating.

Finally, whizz up with liquidiser, noting it's now a less-than-appetising brown colour, and serve with a dob of remaining creme fraiche that needed using up (spot the theme here ...). Hugely surprise myself with how delicious it is.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Covid Soup (Re: Ninja Cookers)

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2024, 12:33 am

UncleEbenezer wrote: I'll never be able to repeat it and 'cos of the covid I can't even share it with friends, but in case anyone wants to try ...

So far, alas, I'm right. I tried and failed to repeat the recipe today. The soup came out very nice, but nothing special: for example, the last seasonal soup brew of parsnips a few weeks ago was the more delicious.

Still, it was an excuse for my first wee dram of the year. Ardbeg is superb with (probably) any of these winter-root-veg soups.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 21st, 2024, 9:49 am

We've recently (one week ago) bought an air fryer..this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09CLGK3G5? ... ct_details

We chose this cooker as it was easily big enough for cooking for two people, we were not sure about air fryers so we didn't want to flash out £200+ on a Ninja, this cooker fitted conveniently on the work surface, the price was right , it came 2nd to the Ninja in one review scoring 94/100 versus the Ninja's 95/100 at twice the price. (Other reviews put it ahead of the Njnja).

So far we have cooked- Roast tatties (excellent), oven chips(ok..needs experimentation), chocolate chip muffins (twice...really nice), roast vegetables (very good..tasty). Very easy to use...

So...very pleased with it!

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 21st, 2024, 11:07 am

Yes, we have a Ninja. I'd thoroughly recommend them. We opted for a single (larger) drawer, as oposed to 2 smaller drawers, though not big enough for the Turkey crown at Xmas. The ceramic lining is better than the teflon of other makes. They have roast, bake and reheat functions.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 21st, 2024, 11:39 am

Yes, we have a two compartment Ninja Air Fryer. I was very sceptical of it. But now, I'm completely sold on it. Using the two compartment Ninja and, if required, the grill or oven in our Panasonic combi oven, we almost never use the full-size ovens any more. The one exception is a full scale Sunday roast dinner. It's both quick and much lower energy than using a full size oven and it's much easier to clean. I am absolutely sold on both the Ninja and the Panasonic combi oven. Very well worth having in the kitchen.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 21st, 2024, 12:11 pm

richfool wrote:Yes, we have a Ninja. I'd thoroughly recommend them. We opted for a single (larger) drawer, as oposed to 2 smaller drawers, though not big enough for the Turkey crown at Xmas. The ceramic lining is better than the teflon of other makes. They have roast, bake and reheat functions.

Forgive my curiosity, what's the difference between bake and roast?

I find the whole "air fryer" thing bemusing. They are a plain, ordinary fan oven (from inspecting my own air fryer) as far as I can determine. If a lot smaller in the case of mine. But some of the whoppers I've seen recently in other people's houses seem almost as big as a proper oven!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 21st, 2024, 12:46 pm

Mike4 wrote:I find the whole "air fryer" thing bemusing. They are a plain, ordinary fan oven (from inspecting my own air fryer) as far as I can determine

I was thinking that, some even have temp ranges on them which are between 60 and 200C I looked the the big Scoville one in Asda last night.

It takes 1500W - that is 50% of the energy of our oven, although the difference in consumption will mainly be down to how well they retain heat once warmed up.

We rarely use our oven just for a few chips, last night were 4 trays, chips, onion rings, asparagus, and mushrooms, otherwise a family pie and a large tray of roast veg, and looking at the size of most of the fryers I just can't see out stuff physically fitting unless we pile them up.

Given the amount of kitchen top taken up and the cost saving versus purchase price of a decent sized one, we've decided to give it a miss.

Paul

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 21st, 2024, 1:54 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I find the whole "air fryer" thing bemusing. They are a plain, ordinary fan oven (from inspecting my own air fryer) as far as I can determine

I was thinking that, some even have temp ranges on them which are between 60 and 200C I looked the the big Scoville one in Asda last night.

It takes 1500W - that is 50% of the energy of our oven, although the difference in consumption will mainly be down to how well they retain heat once warmed up.

We rarely use our oven just for a few chips, last night were 4 trays, chips, onion rings, asparagus, and mushrooms, otherwise a family pie and a large tray of roast veg, and looking at the size of most of the fryers I just can't see out stuff physically fitting unless we pile them up.

Given the amount of kitchen top taken up and the cost saving versus purchase price of a decent sized one, we've decided to give it a miss.

Paul

Airfryers are more efficient than conventional ovens, use less electricity, ours is 1500 watts (as mentioned above). They cook more quickly and in most cases produce a better, tastier end product. I find it can be set to a lower temperature than our conventional oven and for a shorter period. It's also easier to clean and keep clean.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » January 21st, 2024, 2:17 pm

DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

This mirrors a discussion I had with a pal yesterday over a beer in the local. Him and his missus are evangelical on their air fryer.

I put it to him that my smart meter tells me my oven's using 2800w at 200c but only until it reaches temperature which is about 5 minutes. After that it cycles and seems to only be consuming power 50% of the time. I don't know if that's also true air fryers?

He points out in mitigation that air fryers cook about 30% quicker resulting in a decent energy saving, to which my reply is that I'm now in the habit of cooking more than one meal when I do use the oven whereas I imagine that the two of them can't always cook their whole meal in one go in the air fryer.

At the end of the day I'd definitely like to get one but not on the grounds of energy efficiency. The thing that's held me back so far is that I don't have space to store it and don't want it to as a permanent presence on the worktop.
It was only just recently though in a moment of clarity that I realised that at a push I can store a 5 litre one in my oven if I remove the racks :D

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 21st, 2024, 3:06 pm

Dicky99 wrote:At the end of the day I'd definitely like to get one but not on the grounds of energy efficiency. The thing that's held me back so far is that I don't have space to store it and don't want it to as a permanent presence on the worktop.
:D

We would have room if I was allowed to through out the breadmaker, which I have suggested getting rid of as the pan sticks to the bread and replacements are no longer available. I'm always tolf that someone was planning to make some bread that week, however the expiry date on the yeast ssuggests otherwise ;) In hindsight the arguement of "worst case all I'd be doing is swapping one item that gets used once a year for another one" wasn't the best approach.

Paul

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 21st, 2024, 3:59 pm

My chum has the ninja. Excellent for crispy chicken wings.
We had a moratorium on new kitchen gadgets when we moved to smaller kitchen. I have not unpacked the extras kitchen box in over 5 years. In there, which I can apparently live without, is the bread maker, juicer, toastie maker, mandolin, potato ricer, brass balance, donut maker, chocolate fondue, pancake pan. I have a halogen counter top oven, before air fryers ere trendy and slow cooker always out and processor and stick blender in the cupboard. I miss only the mandolin. Though I would juice more. We have started to think about moving in the next couple of years and I have added a bigger kitchen to the increasing list of must haves.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 21st, 2024, 4:56 pm

Dicky99 wrote:I put it to him that my smart meter tells me my oven's using 2800w at 200c but only until it reaches temperature which is about 5 minutes. After that it cycles and seems to only be consuming power 50% of the time. I don't know if that's also true air fryers?

Yes just the same. The fan is on all the time but the element only when the thermostat calls for heat.

Scott.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 21st, 2024, 7:04 pm

Channel 5 TV - now on screen, 19.00 - 20.00, a prog about Air Fryers.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » January 21st, 2024, 8:08 pm

richfool wrote:Channel 5 TV - now on screen, 19.00 - 20.00, a prog about Air Fryers.

The Nazis had air fryers???

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 21st, 2024, 8:16 pm

swill453 wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:I put it to him that my smart meter tells me my oven's using 2800w at 200c but only until it reaches temperature which is about 5 minutes. After that it cycles and seems to only be consuming power 50% of the time. I don't know if that's also true air fryers?

Yes just the same. The fan is on all the time but the element only when the thermostat calls for heat.

Scott.

Seconded. I spent an evening checking this out last winter.

The heater on my air fryer cycles on and off and once up to temp, is ON for approx 50% of the time. Same for my electric main oven.

The differences are my electric main oven is a full 3kW and and the air fryer is 1.5kW. Also, the main oven takes about seven minutes to reach full temp but the air fryer gets there in three.

Once one puts a lump of food in either though, it takes more energy to heat that up. The same amount of extra energy whichever oven, obviously.

Ooops I called the air fryer an oven. Will I get excommunicated?

y air

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 21st, 2024, 8:21 pm

Mike4 wrote:
swill453 wrote:Yes just the same. The fan is on all the time but the element only when the thermostat calls for heat.

Scott.

Seconded. I spent an evening checking this out last winter.

The heater on my air fryer cycles on and off and once up to temp, is ON for approx 50% of the time. Same for my electric main oven.

The differences are my electric main oven is a full 3kW and and the air fryer is 1.5kW. Also, the main oven takes about seven minutes to reach full temp but the air fryer gets there in three.

Once one puts a lump of food in either though, it takes more energy to heat that up. The same amount of extra energy whichever oven, obviously.

Ooops I called the air fryer an oven. Will I get excommunicated?

y air

I hope not. Because despite it's name an air fryer is really just a miniature fan oven. So you're correct.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 21st, 2024, 8:22 pm

kempiejon wrote:My chum has the ninja. Excellent for crispy chicken wings.
We had a moratorium on new kitchen gadgets when we moved to smaller kitchen. I have not unpacked the extras kitchen box in over 5 years. In there, which I can apparently live without, is the bread maker, juicer, toastie maker, mandolin, potato ricer, brass balance, donut maker, chocolate fondue, pancake pan. I have a halogen counter top oven, before air fryers ere trendy and slow cooker always out and processor and stick blender in the cupboard. I miss only the mandolin. Though I would juice more. We have started to think about moving in the next couple of years and I have added a bigger kitchen to the increasing list of must haves.

Perhaps you would be lucky and the mandolin might be at the top of the box?
- really couldn't go back to life without one!

Return to “Food”