Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Olive Oil in Winter

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Olive Oil in Winter

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 30th, 2022, 12:08 am

My extra-virgin olive oil recently ran out. And with winter coming, mindful of how olive oil clouds in colder conditions, I haven't replaced it.

Tonight's meal (three layers in the steamer) needs lubricating with a sauce. The kind of sauce you classically make by infusing some flavoursome ingredients in olive oil. But I have no olive oil :o .

After a moment's thought, I used the microwave on defrost to melt some butter. Then rather than bog-standard garlic/chilli/ginger, I made a gentler but delicious infusion with lemon and mace. It worked, but having to melt butter is not ideal[1].

Any tips? Are there olive oils that fare better than normal ones in cold weather? Or alternative suggestions.

[1] Erm, OK, one of the layers was spuds, and butter is ideal with them. But overall, olive oil would've been better.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Olive Oil in Winter

Postby servodude » October 30th, 2022, 12:16 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Or alternative suggestions

Don't worry about the clouding?

It will vanish if you warm it as the "stuff" gets re-dissolved

I know folk who make litres of the stuff at a time and keep it in the fridge over the warmer months (which is pretty much guaranteed to cloud it)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 30th, 2022, 12:42 am

servodude wrote:

I know folk who make litres of the stuff at a time and keep it in the fridge over the warmer months (which is pretty much guaranteed to cloud it)

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, in past years it's un-clouded in spring.

But it's not quick. Just putting a bottle in warm water doesn't clear it. So I'd have to be extracting the remaining liquid from a clouded bottle, effectively separating out the liquid from the solid. Which begs the question, what do I end up with?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 30th, 2022, 12:47 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, in past years it's un-clouded in spring.

But it's not quick. Just putting a bottle in warm water doesn't clear it. So I'd have to be extracting the remaining liquid from a clouded bottle, effectively separating out the liquid from the solid. Which begs the question, what do I end up with?

Some sort of super boujie cold extraction?

Google says the cloudy bits are polyphenols https://www.olivenation.com/cloudy-olive-oil-not-a-problem

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » October 31st, 2022, 7:59 am

it seems that you dont want the olive oil bottles on display in kitchen??
surely there is a small corner somewhere out of site that could accomodate a bottle

we decant both olive oil and rapeseed oil into red wine bottles....different coloured cap for each so no confusion
and we dont mind having wine bottles on display

red wine bottles because dark green colour to keep the oil better

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 31st, 2022, 8:08 am

I am no expert on olive oil or on much to do with the kitchen, but my olive oil and for that matter vegetable oil comes in darkish bottles and I am not in the least concerned about them being seen on an open shelf or worktop in my kitchen. Convenience for me is what matters and as I use them most days.... It is reasonably warm except possibly overnight in the middle of winter and I do not have a problem. Mind you I have never looked that closely at the oil to see if it is cloudy or not. As for decanting it, 'way too much trouble. Is the idea that wine bottles are better to look at than the original bottle that the oil comes in? Does it matter? Not to me it doesn't and I cannot think why it would.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 31st, 2022, 8:55 am

Er ... I'm a bit simpleminded in the kitchen, and this is getting too subtle. You lost me.

My olive oil stays in the original bottle until used. The bottle lives on the worktop to the right of the oven&hob, which is also the area where most food preparation takes place. Currently there's plenty of rapeseed oil for frying, but no olive oil.

Failing any better ideas, I might try with a very small bottle of olive oil over winter, and see if size helps with clearing the oil by giving it (the bottle) an hour in warm water. I've always resisted buying the small bottles, because I resent paying per-unit prices that can be several times higher than a decent-size (at least 500ml, preferably more) bottle. Meanwhile, if temperatures remain mild, maybe it'll be quite a while before there's any problem?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 31st, 2022, 8:59 am

UncleEbenezer wrote: I might try with a very small bottle of olive oil over winter,

Use more?

I'm probably at a litre a month or so (granted there are 4 of us)
I use a light enough olive oil that it works for general frying - but still have it with bread, balsamic and salt when I get home from work
I use a fair bit in making breads also

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 31st, 2022, 9:04 am

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote: I might try with a very small bottle of olive oil over winter,

Use more?

I use a light enough olive oil that it works for general frying - but still have it with bread, balsamic and salt when I get home from work

Heh.

Actually I often keep two olive oils around the place. Extra-virgin (Tuscan if I see it in the supermarket) for salads and the kind of infusion mentioned in my OP, and mild-and-light for cooking. But I didn't think that level of detail would help.

The issue is the extra-virgin. The rapeseed oil can do the job of the mild-and-light over the colder season.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 31st, 2022, 10:26 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Er ... I'm a bit simpleminded in the kitchen, and this is getting too subtle. You lost me.

My olive oil stays in the original bottle until used. The bottle lives on the worktop to the right of the oven&hob, which is also the area where most food preparation takes place. Currently there's plenty of rapeseed oil for frying, but no olive oil.

Failing any better ideas, I might try with a very small bottle of olive oil over winter, and see if size helps with clearing the oil by giving it (the bottle) an hour in warm water. I've always resisted buying the small bottles, because I resent paying per-unit prices that can be several times higher than a decent-size (at least 500ml, preferably more) bottle. Meanwhile, if temperatures remain mild, maybe it'll be quite a while before there's any problem?

I agree with all of what you have said and that is where my olive oil bottle stays as well. Like you, I am practical and straightforward in the kitchen. My kitchen is nt very warm but I cannot say I have ever noticed any cloudiness. I will keep an eye on it this year though.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 31st, 2022, 10:56 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

Use more?

Heh.

Actually I often keep two olive oils around the place. Extra-virgin (Tuscan if I see it in the supermarket) for salads and the kind of infusion mentioned in my OP, and mild-and-light for cooking. But I didn't think that level of detail would help.

The issue is the extra-virgin. The rapeseed oil can do the job of the mild-and-light over the colder season.

I am under the impression that using olive oil for frying is really bad news on the health front. Something to do with the release of 'free radicals' when heated to cooking temperatures, or something along those lines. (No, not the political type of free radical :D )

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 19th, 2022, 12:18 pm

Mike4 wrote:I am under the impression that using olive oil for frying is really bad news on the health front. Something to do with the release of 'free radicals' when heated to cooking temperatures, or something along those lines. (No, not the political type of free radical :D )

Olive oil is one of the best (or least bad) for frying:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/he ... eep-frying

Frying is not good for any oil, and all oils should be stored away from sunlight.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2022, 12:21 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I am under the impression that using olive oil for frying is really bad news on the health front. Something to do with the release of 'free radicals' when heated to cooking temperatures, or something along those lines. (No, not the political type of free radical :D )

Frying is not good for any oil, and all oils should be stored away from sunlight.

You are according to your article anyway, referring to deep frying. I never do that anyway and really, neither should anyone else from all that I understand anyway.

Dod

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 19th, 2022, 3:41 pm

Dod101 wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:

You are according to your article anyway, referring to deep frying. I never do that anyway and really, neither should anyone else from all that I understand anyway.

This paper was referenced in my link:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02873539

Olive oil is mostly monounsaturated fatty acids, which are relatively stable.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2022, 4:38 pm

OK, since this thread I bought a small bottle. Plain ol' Napolina, nothing more interesting. Used it in a similar sauce for last night's (steamed) meal.

And as the thermometer drops (8.6 degrees in the kitchen an hour or two ago), it's still a lovely clear liquid. Is it just taking time to cloud, or have I found a great solution?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 9th, 2022, 4:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:OK, since this thread I bought a small bottle. Plain ol' Napolina, nothing more interesting. Used it in a similar sauce for last night's (steamed) meal.

And as the thermometer drops (8.6 degrees in the kitchen an hour or two ago), it's still a lovely clear liquid. Is it just taking time to cloud, or have I found a great solution?

Is it an EVOO, or one of their "Light in Colour" ? The former has solids that can condense, the latter does not AFAIK.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2022, 5:18 pm

genou wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:OK, since this thread I bought a small bottle. Plain ol' Napolina, nothing more interesting. Used it in a similar sauce for last night's (steamed) meal.

Is it an EVOO, or one of their "Light in Colour" ? The former has solids that can condense, the latter does not AFAIK.

It's an EVOO. Light in colour is (at least in my kitchen) Just Another Cooking Oil, so dispensable when there's an alternative.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 9th, 2022, 5:41 pm

...Remember the original Trojan Room coffee pot on the Internet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Room_coffee_pot

Perhaps you could arrange to put your olive oil on the present day Internet.

"How low can it go? See how cloudy the UncleEbenezer olive oil jar is to find out!"

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 9th, 2022, 7:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:It's an EVOO. Light in colour is (at least in my kitchen) Just Another Cooking Oil, so dispensable when there's an alternative.

You have what you've bought. I've never seen ( not that I spend a lot of time looking ) what identified as an EVOO that wasn't green. But I'm not an expert on what you are allowed to call EVOO. Maybe yours is filtered, and that is allowed.

The cloudy effect is harmless, and goes away when the oil warms.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2022, 8:07 pm

genou wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:It's an EVOO. Light in colour is (at least in my kitchen) Just Another Cooking Oil, so dispensable when there's an alternative.

You have what you've bought. I've never seen ( not that I spend a lot of time looking ) what identified as an EVOO that wasn't green. But I'm not an expert on what you are allowed to call EVOO. Maybe yours is filtered, and that is allowed.

The pics (e.g. here - same oil, different size bottle) show the colour. Not that I was concerned about that in this context!
The cloudy effect is harmless, and goes away when the oil warms.

I think that's been well-rehearsed above.

Return to “Food”