Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Vegetarian sausages

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Vegetarian sausages

Postby 88V8 » March 12th, 2023, 10:13 am

No sausages, but here on Delia's site there are rather a lot of veggie recipes.... perhaps you could hollow out a courgette and stuff it with one of her fillings?

V8

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » March 12th, 2023, 5:59 pm

Field Roast is my preferred brand. Freezer full of them. They have three flavours. Smoked Apple & Sage, Italian Garlic & Fennel and Spicy Mexican Chipotle. A Canadian brand. Not sure if available in UK.

Pendrainllwyn

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 12th, 2023, 6:32 pm

The trick I’ve found with quorn, whether it be sausages or burgers, (works best with burgers, more surface area), is to fry them on quite a low heat in olive oil. If frozen, put them in the pan without oil initially, to get the water/ice off, then drip oil onto the burger and flip, then do the other side. Same with bangers, though the drip technique doesn’t work so a very shallow layer of oil. You definitely don’t want to drown them in oil, but they need to soak it up, so I end up nursing the sausages into the outer edge with the pan slightly tilted and the oil pooling around them. Someone should make a pan with individual sausage-sized troughs. It can take quite a while to cook them. I like to get them nicely browned - the taste improves markedly. I’ve even tried slicing the sausages in two, lengthwise, to get more surface in contact with the oil. Don’t bother; this doesn’t seem to help.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 13th, 2023, 1:47 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:The trick I’ve found with quorn, whether it be sausages or burgers, (works best with burgers, more surface area), is to fry them on quite a low heat in olive oil. If frozen, put them in the pan without oil initially, to get the water/ice off, then drip oil onto the burger and flip, then do the other side. Same with bangers, though the drip technique doesn’t work so a very shallow layer of oil. You definitely don’t want to drown them in oil, but they need to soak it up, so I end up nursing the sausages into the outer edge with the pan slightly tilted and the oil pooling around them. Someone should make a pan with individual sausage-sized troughs. It can take quite a while to cook them. I like to get them nicely browned - the taste improves markedly. I’ve even tried slicing the sausages in two, lengthwise, to get more surface in contact with the oil. Don’t bother; this doesn’t seem to help.

Wouldn't have those in the first place. But it sounds plausible. I do eat quorn mince, which - lacking the fat content of minced beef - is more than a bit thin if used as a bare substitute, but works very well fried with some Usual Suspect ingredients. Onion, garlic and pepper (or chilli) for flavour, tomatoes for moisture and flavour, mushrooms for texture, maybe some nuts such as cashews or peanuts, crunchy veg ...

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 13th, 2023, 2:31 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:The trick I’ve found with quorn, whether it be sausages or burgers, (works best with burgers, more surface area), is to fry them on quite a low heat in olive oil. If frozen, put them in the pan without oil initially, to get the water/ice off, then drip oil onto the burger and flip, then do the other side. Same with bangers, though the drip technique doesn’t work so a very shallow layer of oil. You definitely don’t want to drown them in oil, but they need to soak it up, so I end up nursing the sausages into the outer edge with the pan slightly tilted and the oil pooling around them. Someone should make a pan with individual sausage-sized troughs. It can take quite a while to cook them. I like to get them nicely browned - the taste improves markedly. I’ve even tried slicing the sausages in two, lengthwise, to get more surface in contact with the oil. Don’t bother; this doesn’t seem to help.

Wouldn't have those in the first place. But it sounds plausible. I do eat quorn mince, which - lacking the fat content of minced beef - is more than a bit thin if used as a bare substitute, but works very well fried with some Usual Suspect ingredients. Onion, garlic and pepper (or chilli) for flavour, tomatoes for moisture and flavour, mushrooms for texture, maybe some nuts such as cashews or peanuts, crunchy veg ...

McSweens vegetarian haggis makes an excellent mince substitute for a chili con-fake-carne

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » April 17th, 2023, 10:59 am

Cauldron have reverted to their original vegetarian recipe for the Lincolnshire sausages. I'm not sure if they still do the vegan ones. I think the sales fell off cliff. Must have been a significant drop to back track like this.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 17th, 2023, 11:01 am

Imbiber wrote:

not at all surprised
A sausage has to have meat in it (as I said earlier)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 17th, 2023, 12:37 pm

Imbiber wrote:Cauldron have reverted to their original vegetarian recipe for the Lincolnshire sausages. I'm not sure if they still do the vegan ones. I think the sales fell off cliff. Must have been a significant drop to back track like this.

Since this thread started I've kept an eye out for them when supermarket shopping, and I don't seem to see them any more. Maybe the supermarkets de-listed the reformulated ones? Or cut back distribution to just a few megastores?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 17th, 2023, 9:34 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Imbiber wrote:Cauldron have reverted to their original vegetarian recipe for the Lincolnshire sausages. I'm not sure if they still do the vegan ones. I think the sales fell off cliff. Must have been a significant drop to back track like this.

Since this thread started I've kept an eye out for them when supermarket shopping, and I don't seem to see them any more. Maybe the supermarkets de-listed the reformulated ones? Or cut back distribution to just a few megastores?

So, I just found them today. Picked up a pack at the huge Asda in Brighton Marina, which is near somewhere I visited this afternoon. Don't remember when I last had them, but it certainly wasn't this year.

Fried with the usual onions/tomatoes/mushrooms/pepper for my evening meal, they were very pleasant with a small glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

kltrader

Postby kltrader » November 7th, 2023, 4:09 pm

I'd recommend trying "This Isn't Pork Plant-Based Onion Sausages", which I get from Tesco for my wife. Shes the vegan in our family. The taste is really good.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2023, 5:23 pm

I would recommend forgetting sausages and go in for a Med diet or at least one with pasta, fish and chicken. Were it not so expensive I would probably live off fish. There is such a huge variety.

I have never tried to find veg sausages but just the thought of them puts me off.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 7th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have never tried to find veg sausages but just the thought of them puts me off.

Dod

Considering what goes in the meat ones that takes some doing :)

But really, if people want veggie food then fine, but why this obsession to try and make it look/taste/seem like meat? Considering sossies were basically a way of using up the lips and ar53holes left over from the pig when even the squeek had been eaten, they seem a really odd candidate for a vegetarien alternative.

And as for Sainsburys and their bloody stupid trendy branding - I had to get my reading glasses out last week to find Cumberlands. They're now labelled "The Herby One". Or was it "The Spicy One"? I forget, and went to Morissons yesterday instead.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2023, 7:06 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have never tried to find veg sausages but just the thought of them puts me off.

Dod

Considering what goes in the meat ones that takes some doing :)

But really, if people want veggie food then fine, but why this obsession to try and make it look/taste/seem like meat? Considering sossies were basically a way of using up the lips and ar53holes left over from the pig when even the squeek had been eaten, they seem a really odd candidate for a vegetarien alternative.

And as for Sainsburys and their bloody stupid trendy branding - I had to get my reading glasses out last week to find Cumberlands. They're now labelled "The Herby One". Or was it "The Spicy One"? I forget, and went to Morissons yesterday instead.

Paul

I buy all my meat from the local butchers and I doubt very much that there is much rubbish in their sausages. As you say though, there are plenty of fresh vegetables for a vegetarian diet without doing stupid things like inventing vegetarian sausages.

Dod

rhys
Lemon Pip

Postby rhys » November 10th, 2023, 2:56 pm

As a non meat eater, let me state that I find the concept of 'vegetarian sausages' to be stupid. I guess that the product is intended to eat regular sausage eater feel better about themselves by choosing an "alternative" product - even though it's sure to be highly processed mush that's no good for anyone.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 10th, 2023, 10:53 pm

rhys wrote:As a non meat eater, let me state that I find the concept of 'vegetarian sausages' to be stupid. I guess that the product is intended to eat regular sausage eater feel better about themselves by choosing an "alternative" product - even though it's sure to be highly processed mush that's no good for anyone.

...so a pretty accurate alternative to sausage ;)

I did have a battered vegan sausage once that was so accurate as to be off putting - probably saying more about "meat" chip shop sausages than anything else

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » November 11th, 2023, 7:12 am

servodude wrote:
rhys wrote:As a non meat eater, let me state that I find the concept of 'vegetarian sausages' to be stupid. I guess that the product is intended to eat regular sausage eater feel better about themselves by choosing an "alternative" product - even though it's sure to be highly processed mush that's no good for anyone.

I did have a battered vegan sausage once that was so accurate as to be off putting - probably saying more about "meat" chip shop sausages than anything else

Slightly unfair I'd say. The banger, caramelised to a point just short of burnt, is a wonderful British delicacy. A good quality one, of which there are very many out there, is one of life's small pleasures to be savoured in moderation. If only I had a pack in the fridge I could devour a sausage sarnie on crusty white with brown sauce for breakfast :)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 11th, 2023, 8:10 am

Dicky99 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Slightly unfair I'd say. The banger, caramelised to a point just short of burnt, is a wonderful British delicacy. A good quality one, of which there are very many out there, is one of life's small pleasures to be savoured in moderation. If only I had a pack in the fridge I could devour a sausage sarnie on crusty white with brown sauce for breakfast :)

I'm not saying they're not delicious...
..but the requirements to be classed as a meat sausage are why they suggest you don't want to watch them being made ;)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 11th, 2023, 8:57 am

Sadly this is little help for Mike4 on the sausage front, unless he feels more adventurous, however possibly an answer to some others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamorgan_sausage
Glamorgan sausage (Welsh: Selsig Morgannwg) is a traditional Welsh vegetarian sausage for which the main ingredients are cheese (usually Caerphilly), leeks and breadcrumbs. It is named after the historic county of Glamorgan in Wales.

The earliest published mention of the dish is from the 1850s

We use to eat Vege for a long time. Even afterward Linda McCartney sausages were a freezer staple for years.

Sausages for us are now a rare dish as we need to restrict salt and fat in our diet, or at least that is what extensive investigation and deduction from the list of banned foods has revealed. Why the medical fraternity can't actually inform about which parts of the foods are considered the problem is beyond me.

I'd suggest that Mike4 research and investigate what it is about his health and the reasons for recommending a 'mediterranean diet' are. It may be that things eaten in the mediterranian area might be counter productive.

It's also possible that the likes of the Glamorgan sausage that I mentioned might be a poor choice, despite lack of meat.

I said that sausages are a rare dish for us because of salt, but they are not off the menu (despite being on the banned list). Instead the menu for the day is planned to accommodate the salt and fat content of the sausages.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » November 19th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Decided to try the Quorn Brilliant Bangers!

They’re awful. Edible (just), uninteresting and no substitute for a proper sausage.

As my first trial of vegan sausages this was not a success. I don’t often eat sausages but will buy from the Ginger Pig …

Best wishes, Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 19th, 2023, 10:20 pm

Steveam wrote:Decided to try the Quorn Brilliant Bangers!

They’re awful. Edible (just), uninteresting and no substitute for a proper sausage.

As my first trial of vegan sausages this was not a success. I don’t often eat sausages but will buy from the Ginger Pig …

Best wishes, Steve

Try others. However if you don't often eat sausages don't expect to find any as good as what you normally buy.

Seriously, the best vegetarian sausages that I have eaten tasted as good as bog standard sausages, or didn't taste like sausages.

There is a serious issue and problem with trying to make (or claim) something tastes like something else.

Mock Goose anyone?
Why they decided to call it 'goose' I'll never understand as it doesn't taste a bit like it!

https://about-cookery.livejournal.com/1128.html

Return to “Food”