Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Rediscovered slow cooker cooking - any easy recipies

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Re: Rediscovered slow cooker cooking - any easy recipies

Postby johnstevens77 » August 31st, 2023, 11:22 am

We have an ancient Indian made slow cooker which realy does "slow cook" if needed. A month ago I used it for rump steak bourguignonne and it came out absolutely superb. Have to fry the meat and veg off first and reduce the red wine though.
This week I made a casserole with diced cooking bacon, onion, celery, carrots, plus presoaked and boiled pearl barley, red kidney beans and white beans and also some veggi stock powder. Was great. It is recomended to boil dried beans a couple of minutes before cooking in the slow cooker to kill any toxins.
Plenty of recipes can be adapted.

john

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » September 1st, 2023, 1:40 pm

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty to have a look at there. We taught our children to cook and that was enjoyable, our son is very good. Cooking for the two of us is ok, but as I said, I am more enthusiastic in the mornings so slow cooker meals suit that very well. I know when cooking for one (When Brown Owl is away on Brownie Holiday) the standard drops, so a selection of slow cooker batch meals would lessen that 'can't be bothered to cook for one' lethargy.

Chilli con carne was made for slow cooking and a chicken recipie was very nice. now to experiment with a few more.

Cheers,
Ray.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » September 6th, 2023, 6:42 pm

A slightly offside addition. Apart from all the suggested stews, curries and ribs, I find my slow cooker is indispensable in two cases:

1. Poaching whole chickens. Wonderful as the left overs freeze much better that normal roast chicken. And poached chicken seems very rare these days.

2. Pre-cooking oxtail. Important to put everything into the fridge overnight to remove excess fat. But slow cooked seems to work best.

Eb.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » September 6th, 2023, 11:30 pm

Eboli wrote:1. Poaching whole chickens. Wonderful as the left overs freeze much better that normal roast chicken. And poached chicken seems very rare these days.

My late grandmother's go-to recipe. But she was born in 1904.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » September 7th, 2023, 10:50 pm

James wrote:
Eboli wrote:1. Poaching whole chickens. Wonderful as the left overs freeze much better that normal roast chicken. And poached chicken seems very rare these days.

Reduce the stock and make morel sauce, serve with pilaf rice! Or better still, cook the morels in Vin Jaune, reduce and add to the stock for the ultimate luxury!

john

Return to “Food”