Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Cheese

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Cheese

Postby Dicky99 » September 29th, 2023, 9:11 pm

We obviously have some keen bread makers on the site but do we have any keen cheese makers?

I've recently been dipping my toe in the water, with some success, making a simple semi hard cheese not dissimilar to Feta.
I add about 100ml of kefir to 4 pints of milk, good shake and leave it at room temp for 48hrs by which time it's the consistency of thick yoghurt. Strain off some of the whey through a muslin lined colander overnight, so it's about the consistency of philadelphia, add some salt for seasoning and then progressively compress it in a mould and DIY press over about 12 hours to remove more whey after which it is a reasonably semi solid wheel. Then I air dry it on a rack for about 3 days protected under a fly screen before vac packing it and storing in the fridge. It's a very simple but no less delicious cheese for on toast or crackers and though it's about a week start to finish the amount of actual work is pretty minimal.
I now want to have a first attempt at a hard cheese using rennet and CaCl.
So are there any cheese making experts and what are your favoured varieties?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cheese

Postby kempiejon » September 29th, 2023, 10:09 pm

Not made any for years but I have done a few of the quick cheeses, cottage, cream, mozzarella and ricotta with the left over whey, paneer. Never used cultures or CaCl just salt and acid. Never matured my cheese. Mozzarella in the microwave was a revelation.
One thing I remember making a difference was full fat, unhomogenised milk. Graham's Jersey Gold was a pick.

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » September 30th, 2023, 9:44 am

I found this to be a good starting place for making all kinds of cheese https://fankhauserblog.wordpress.com/cheese-making-for-new-folks/

gpadsa

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 30th, 2023, 10:43 pm

I haven't tried making it, but I've seen talks and demos from the professionals.

Our local cheese shop organises regular cheese fairs - an immensely popular event at which cheese lovers get to meet the producers and sample a much wider range than we otherwise might (last month was first time back since lockdown). Some years they have demos and guest speakers. Well worth it if you're a cheese lover, perhaps even more so if you aspire to make your own!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 2nd, 2023, 8:02 am

I love most cheese but do not like feta, haloumi or most goat's cheese. Give me a strong aged cheddar or a stinky gorgonzola or a mature comte and I am in heaven...served thickly on one of my sourdough baguettes of course. :D

I cannot believe I could ever make something that was any more than the most basic tasteless cheese so I have not bothered.

John

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » October 2nd, 2023, 8:46 am

redsturgeon wrote:I love most cheese but do not like feta, haloumi or most goat's cheese. Give me a strong aged cheddar or a stinky gorgonzola or a mature comte and I am in heaven...served thickly on one of my sourdough baguettes of course. :D

I cannot believe I could ever make something that was any more than the most basic tasteless cheese so I have not bothered.

John

Don't like haloumi :shock: not even cut into chip shaped pieces, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, baked in the oven and served with a sweet chilli dipping sauce :)

I have to concede that my efforts so far have been basic but certainly not tasteless. I do want to progress at some stage to more complex flavoured cheeses which is when the science of it becomes more disciplined. The biggest obstacle to that at the moment is not having a space for a cheese "cave" or even space for the alternative being a second fridge to maintain at 10c.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 2nd, 2023, 9:47 am

Dicky99 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I love most cheese but do not like feta, haloumi or most goat's cheese. Give me a strong aged cheddar or a stinky gorgonzola or a mature comte and I am in heaven...served thickly on one of my sourdough baguettes of course. :D

John

Don't like haloumi :shock: not even cut into chip shaped pieces, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, baked in the oven and served with a sweet chilli dipping sauce :)

I have to concede that my efforts so far have been basic but certainly not tasteless. I do want to progress at some stage to more complex flavoured cheeses which is when the science of it becomes more disciplined. The biggest obstacle to that at the moment is not having a space for a cheese "cave" or even space for the alternative being a second fridge to maintain at 10c.

I think that lumps of anything cut into chip shaped pieces, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, baked in the oven and served with a sweet chilli dipping sauce would taste great! But I love the complex flavour of cheese itself unadulterated. Oh and I am suspicious on any cheese that squeaks! :D

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 2nd, 2023, 11:18 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:

I think that lumps of anything cut into chip shaped pieces, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, baked in the oven and served with a sweet chilli dipping sauce would taste great! But I love the complex flavour of cheese itself unadulterated. Oh and I am suspicious on any cheese that squeaks! :D

Must confess that I've never seen a Halloumi that I'd bother with in the UK (vs Sweden, Germany, Greece or Australia)
- when it's a good one cooked well it's an absolute delight

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 2nd, 2023, 11:24 am

redsturgeon wrote:I think that lumps of anything cut into chip shaped pieces, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, baked in the oven and served with a sweet chilli dipping sauce would taste great!

Pigs ears, washed, cut into strips brushed with mustard and rolled in bread crumbs before baking until crispy. Not really worth it. I had a pigs head for making brawn and didn't want to waste any bits.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 28th, 2023, 9:25 pm

Steak pie good.
Steak-and-kidney pie better.

When I mentioned this to a visitor from the US, the shocked reply was "You actually EAT kidneys???"
And I was thinking of serving him pan-fried chicken livers and ginger...

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » October 29th, 2023, 8:21 am

stewamax wrote:Steak pie good.
Steak-and-kidney pie better.

When I mentioned this to a visitor from the US, the shocked reply was "You actually EAT kidneys???"

well he was american!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 29th, 2023, 3:26 pm

stewamax wrote:When I mentioned this to a visitor from the US, the shocked reply was "You actually EAT kidneys???"

One of my first culinary failures, back in the days when I was just about surviving in my grotty Berlin flat. I got this recipe for kidneys in red wine, and it sounded okay in the book.

Maybe I should have cleaned the kidneys better, I don't know. All I know is that, the moment the acidic red wine went into the pan, it gave off a powerful and lingering aroma that vividly recalled the original purpose and function of the kidneys. :mrgreen:

Given the choice between eating this noxious concoction and going hungry, I opted for hunger. Pity about the wine. :|

BJ

Return to “Food”