Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Amazing value in SW1

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Amazing value in SW1

Postby Clitheroekid » October 18th, 2023, 8:08 pm

Yes, not a sequence of words that's often seen, but I was truly amazed at the prices on this menu from the Regency Cafe in Regency Street.

I'm not promoting it, as I've no interest in doing so, and for all I know the food's terrible, but it's like looking at a provincial cafe menu from about 10 years ago, and at one in Westminster from maybe 20 years ago.

https://regencycafe.has.restaurant/menu/

I don't know how they manage it, but more power to their elbow! :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Amazing value in SW1

Postby Mike4 » October 18th, 2023, 8:17 pm

They must be able to do it because of the massive footfall past their front door I reckon, leading to a high turnover.

The same effect seems to happen with petrol stations. Despite the rent on a central London site being (probably) being ten times the rent on a sleepy village petrol station in rural Wiltshire, they both seem to flog petrol and diesel for the same price. The London stations a little cheaper even.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 18th, 2023, 8:18 pm

I have not been there. But the worst food poisoning I ever got was in a very similar greasy spoon joint in nearby Fulham, SW6. I had a job interview the next day and I was as sick as a dog for the entire day. Did not get the job. Should have spent more. :D

Mike4 wrote:They must be able to do it because of the massive footfall past their front door I reckon, leading to a high turnover.

The same effect seems to happen with petrol stations. Despite the rent on a central London site being (probably) being ten times the rent on a sleepy village petrol station in rural Wiltshire, they both seem to flog petrol and diesel for the same price. The London stations a little cheaper even.

A similar mystery is why the only two US states that bar you from filling your own petrol tank (New Jersey and Oregon) have the lowest gas prices.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 18th, 2023, 9:07 pm

Lootman wrote:A similar mystery is why the only two US states that bar you from filling your own petrol tank (New Jersey and Oregon) have the lowest gas prices.

Frankly I don't see what on earth gas prices have to do with filling one's tank with petrol. But then nowadays I heat with an oil boiler and a wood burner so maybe i'm right out of touch.

(Well you did leave an open goal for that one, lol!)

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » October 18th, 2023, 9:10 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Yes, not a sequence of words that's often seen, but I was truly amazed at the prices on this menu from the Regency Cafe in Regency Street.

I'm not promoting it, as I've no interest in doing so, and for all I know the food's terrible, but it's like looking at a provincial cafe menu from about 10 years ago, and at one in Westminster from maybe 20 years ago.

This cafe featured in a rather violent opening scene of the film Layer Cake. Not for the squeamish.

https://youtu.be/U0z62IALjqM?feature=shared

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 18th, 2023, 10:51 pm

Lootman wrote:I have not been there. But the worst food poisoning I ever got was in a very similar greasy spoon joint in nearby Fulham, SW6. I had a job interview the next day and I was as sick as a dog for the entire day. Did not get the job. Should have spent more. :D

Mike4 wrote:They must be able to do it because of the massive footfall past their front door I reckon, leading to a high turnover.

A similar mystery is why the only two US states that bar you from filling your own petrol tank (New Jersey and Oregon) have the lowest gas prices.

Serves you right for going to London. London really belongs in Wales, they are made for each other (though Llandudno isn't too bad actually but I've never met a Welsh person there).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 18th, 2023, 10:53 pm

CliffEdge wrote: Llandudno isn't too bad actually but I've never met a Welsh person there.

It is the gay capital of Wales, I was told.

So I guess the Welsh do not do gay.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 18th, 2023, 11:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
CliffEdge wrote: Llandudno isn't too bad actually but I've never met a Welsh person there.

The last thing you could regard the Welsh as being is gay. Every Welshman I've met has been miserable.

I think it was E.Waugh who wrote: "I often think, that we can trace all the disasters of English history to the influence of Wales." "The Welsh", said the Doctor, "Are the only nation in the world that has produced no graphic or plastic art, no architecture, no drama. They just sing", he said with disgust, "Sing and blow wind instruments of plated silver. I have noticed again and again, since I have been in the church that lay interest in ecclesiastical matters is a prelude to insanity."

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 18th, 2023, 11:23 pm

Lootman wrote:

You wouldn't by any chance be suggesting a hint of ovophilia?

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 18th, 2023, 11:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:It is the gay capital of Wales, I was told.

You wouldn't by any chance be suggesting a hint of ovophilia?

Possibly in a country that names its capital city, "Swansea".

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 18th, 2023, 11:39 pm

nautical

Postby nautical » October 21st, 2023, 8:39 am

Purely a guess on my part, but I wonder if long term ownership of such places, rather than rented premises, whether high footfall or rather niche (like the model aircraft shop near us) is what helps keep their costs low and selling prices reasonable?

Of course, being good at what you offer is important too.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 21st, 2023, 9:11 am

nautical wrote:Purely a guess on my part, but I wonder if long term ownership of such places, rather than rented premises, whether high footfall or rather niche (like the model aircraft shop near us) is what helps keep their costs low and selling prices reasonable?

Of course, being good at what you offer is important too.

I think you're right on the first count. A premises owned outright (often in the family for generations) allows a business the luxury of not needing to make as much gross profit as its surrounding competitors as no massive quarterly rent payment is sucking out all the cash from the business. They still have Business Rates to pay though, which nowadays is often a similar sized sum to the rent.

High footfall can compensate for an expensive rent too, as I often think must be the case with the pitches surrounding the London terminus railway stations. The pitch rent is probably massive as is the turnover.

Not sure how being a niche retailer can compensate for a high rent though. But yes in all cases the business still needs to be run slickly and competently by managers with longer experience at their game.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 21st, 2023, 11:31 am

CliffEdge wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:You wouldn't by any chance be suggesting a hint of ovophilia?

Possibly in a country that names its capital city, "Swansea".

Swansea the capital of Wales? Seriously or am I missing something?

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 21st, 2023, 11:34 am

Mike88 wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:Possibly in a country that names its capital city, "Swansea".

You're definitely not missing anything in Swansea.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » October 21st, 2023, 11:55 am

CliffEdge wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

You're definitely not missing anything in Swansea.

How dare you - El Pescador - great fish restaurant though a little more expensive than the Regency Cafe.

Taffy7

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 21st, 2023, 11:57 am

terminal7 wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:You're definitely not missing anything in Swansea.

How dare you - El Pescador - great fish restaurant though a little more expensive than the Regency Cafe.

Taffy7

Ta

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 21st, 2023, 1:21 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Yes, not a sequence of words that's often seen, but I was truly amazed at the prices on this menu from the Regency Cafe in Regency Street.

I think I've walked past it, in a side street between Victoria and Pimlico.

Return to “Food”