Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Kitchenware deals

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Kitchenware deals

Postby DiamondEcho » September 12th, 2017, 11:02 am

JMN2 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Yep, I've got a Le Creuset cast iron ridged skillet for steaks (which I got cheap, of course...)
Works very well
Sub £10 I assume...

I was going to post a semi tongue-in-cheek reply to ^ in a topic about steak, so thought I better break it off into a new topic and at the same time add a few useful examples I've come across.

The tongue in cheek point - I managed to get two Fontignac brand cast iron casserole dishes, 3.6L round + 4.3L oval, entirely free on coupons I'd accumulated over several weeks grocery shopping in Singapore. From what I can see they're direct copies of Le Creuset just without the name. Having seen what the latter costs if anyone is shopping for such items I'd strongly suggest seeking out alternative brands. Oh and I got 6-8 ceramic gratin side-dishes the same way, the whole lot matching in a lovely blue finish.
----------------------------------------

If visiting New York a trip to Macy's is suggested. Their kitchenware department is fantastic. From a budget-end right through to the $$$ stuff. If a tourist take your passport to the Visitor's Centre [@mezzanine floor between ground + 1st] and get a 'tax free for tourists' card. That way tax is taken off at the point of sale. Also scan the w/e papers for any sales announcements/coupons. They're already great value compared to the UK, but with tax off it's better and if you're able to combine that with a sale or special offers the value for money can be amazing.

If heading to a German city check if Wusthof/Henkels have a factory shop at destination. I've visited three branches, Berlin, Munich, Dussledorf. The shops I've been to are right in town, rather than out in some retail park. They have periodic sales but even their regular prices seem to be well discounted. And it's way more than just the knives they're best known for outside of Germany. As a typical German multi-company conglomerate they sell everything from across their sub-companies, knives>crockery/glasses>gadgets>appliances>etc.

On a recent trip to Cambridge/UK I stumbled upon a branch of Lakeland. We had a fun 1/2hr in there and picked up some useful bits and pieces.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Kitchenware deals

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 12th, 2017, 11:14 am

There's a Lakeland in Windsor - good stuff, but quite expensive
For general stuff (containers, bag clips etc) I like Clas Ohlson
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/b/Home

Return to “Food”