Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Poaching eggs - tips

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Poaching eggs - tips

Postby DiamondEcho » October 18th, 2017, 1:32 pm

A common tip is adding a TBSP of something acidic like vinegar or lemon juice to encourage the egg to remain more as a whole unit, less breaking apart into strings and getting sodden. Another one is use the freshest eggs possible, as the older the eggs are, again, the more they tend to break part as in the previous point.

Another I have tried is lining a small dish (like a ramekin dish) with cling-film, pouring the egg into it and tying the cling film above the dish into a knot, so sealing out the water. Then remove the egg-parcel and poach in the usual way. This works pretty well IME but the egg can adhere to the film so you have to remove it carefully. Maybe there is a case for coating the inside of the film with a tiny amount of oil - IDK/haven't tried it.

I just heard of another approach used by the pioneer home-chef Elizabeth David. Use a frying pan with about 5Cm of water in it. Add nothing acidic to the water. Bring it to a boil and then switch off the heat. Once the water is still break the egg/s into it from as close the water surface as possible. Leave for 3-4 mins and remove egg/s using a slotted spoon. This approach interests me as a) I really enjoy a nice poached egg, though they can be a bit of a fiddle and b) Having the heat off and water still should ensure almost nothing to disrupt the shape as the egg poaches.

So the latter is something I will try with interest. Using the freshest eggs is still IME the key thing, but getting the result with the simplest process would be a bonus too.

Does anyone else used this^ method?

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Re: Poaching eggs - tips

Postby GJHarney » October 18th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Yes, I tried all the 'pro' tips, either they didn't work for me or were too much messing around. Then I thought of going back to a proper egg poaching steamer pan (with the 4 lift out small dishes for each egg) like I had decades ago until the handle fell off, but then a few years ago I discovered the joys of silicone - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Silicone-Egg-Poacher-Poaching-Poach-Cup-Pods-Mould-Great-Quality-/231987912729?hash=item36038ea019:g:QdsAAOSwMNxXapGO

Brilliant product, can use them in any pan you already have, and the eggs come out perfect each time. Just smear around a little oil inside the cups before you put the egg in and they will normally slide out when cooked, or just need a nudge with a knife or fork. For the sake of two quid for two I would recommend you give them a go as if they don't work for you it won't have cost you much finding out :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 18th, 2017, 5:01 pm

I too have tried most things mentioned, none of which I stuck with, either because they didn't work for me or they were just too much hassle. The one thing that works for me is using very fresh eggs. Bring the water to the boil then turn heat right down. Crack in egg, wait 2.5 to 3 mins and that's it.

John

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 20th, 2017, 4:59 pm

GJHarney wrote:Yes, I tried all the 'pro' tips, either they didn't work for me or were too much messing around. Then I thought of going back to a proper egg poaching steamer pan (with the 4 lift out small dishes for each egg) like I had decades ago until the handle fell off, but then a few years ago I discovered the joys of silicone - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Silicone-Egg-Poacher-Poaching-Poach-Cup-Pods-Mould-Great-Quality-/231987912729?hash=item36038ea019:g:QdsAAOSwMNxXapGO

Brilliant product, can use them in any pan you already have, and the eggs come out perfect each time. Just smear around a little oil inside the cups before you put the egg in and they will normally slide out when cooked, or just need a nudge with a knife or fork. For the sake of two quid for two I would recommend you give them a go as if they don't work for you it won't have cost you much finding out :D

We still use our 3 egg poaching pan which must be getting on for 55 years old.

But better than oil, drop a small bit of butter into each cup, melt it and swish it around the cup before inserting the egg. Gives a better flavour.

Slarti

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » October 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Slarti wrote: We still use our 3 egg poaching pan which must be getting on for 55 years old.

But better than oil, drop a small bit of butter into each cup, melt it and swish it around the cup before inserting the egg. Gives a better flavour.

Slarti

They still exist, Google for "egg poacher pan" will bring up ads for M&S and Wilko amongst others.

I agree with you about the butter tip.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 20th, 2017, 9:28 pm

William Boyd's James Bond novel, Solo. Bond's breakfast is black coffee, orange juice, scrambled eggs and bacon. Why poach when one can scramble, or fry, or boil?

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » October 20th, 2017, 10:01 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Another I have tried is lining a small dish (like a ramekin dish) with cling-film, pouring the egg into it and tying the cling film above the dish into a knot, so sealing out the water. Then remove the egg-parcel and poach in the usual way. This works pretty well IME but the egg can adhere to the film so you have to remove it carefully.

It must be me but I tried the cling-film method a few years ago and the film just contracted into a shrivelled lump in the hot water

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

JMN2 wrote:William Boyd's James Bond novel, Solo. Bond's breakfast is black coffee, orange juice, scrambled eggs and bacon. Why poach when one can scramble, or fry, or boil?

And don't forget omelettes.

Why poach? Because they go so well on toast!

And scrambled is about the only way I don't like eggs. And there are different versions of scrambled, all of which are eggs spoiled, to me. But each to their own.

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 21st, 2017, 11:55 am

Slarti wrote:...

Quite so but what I did was I learned these two recipes and probably cooked an omelette 5 times a week for around 3 years and now I can't face another omelette ever.

https://youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 21st, 2017, 1:03 pm

JMN2 wrote:

Quite so but what I did was I learned these two recipes and probably cooked an omelette 5 times a week for around 3 years and now I can't face another omelette ever.

Nice video showing the difference between the two styles...it made me cringe though the way he was attacking the non stick pan with that metal fork!

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 21st, 2017, 2:52 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:

Nice video showing the difference between the two styles...it made me cringe though the way he was attacking the non stick pan with that metal fork!

John

Frenchmen, eh? What are they like! He has a very good video on poached eggs too. I do like this old school classical cooking, very simple but effective techniques.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 21st, 2017, 3:05 pm

JMN2 wrote:William Boyd's James Bond novel, Solo. Bond's breakfast is black coffee, orange juice, scrambled eggs and bacon. Why poach when one can scramble, or fry, or boil?

Curious question JMN. Different cooking methods complement different uses. Poached eggs + hollandaise sauce on asparagus wouldn't be quite the same with fried eggs ;) :lol:
I like poached eggs because of the added presentational value in breaking the yolk in/over the dish. I also like them as I consume them hot and oil free, which other methods do not facilitate. Poaching also makes possible the oil-free contrast that's useful counter-point/relief when served with other oily food. And so on.

Perhaps have a look through these recipe photos and imagine them served with other than poached eggs...
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slid ... gg-recipes

ps. Oh, and also I don't think any of us are James Bond :lol:

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 21st, 2017, 3:18 pm

Maroochydore wrote:It must be me but I tried the cling-film method a few years ago and the film just contracted into a shrivelled lump in the hot water

Blimey, I'm not sure how that could happen! I tie a knot in the top of the cling-film so as much air as poss is excluded. I've also achieved similar with rubber bands and even springy metal paperwork clips... er 'bulldog clips' or what ever they're called these days. Any of those will mean it physically cannot shrivel, pretty much what ever you subsequently did to it.

This illustrates, but with no visible fastener. IME there is a risk with no closure that the top unravels and the egg spills into the water, leaving a water-logged and useless result plus harder washing up.

'How to Poach an Egg in Clingfilm | Tesco Food' [24Secs]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYuHmAZRVI

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm

Alaric wrote:
They [egg poaching pans] still exist, Googling will bring up ads for M&S and Wilko amongst others.

We've got the Wilko £13 stainless steel one, that cooks four poached eggs in their own little non-stick cups, which are big enough for large eggs -

http://www.wilko.com/steamers+egg-poach ... vt/0218336

It's great, and four and a half minutes will give perfect poached eggs that simply tip out when you hold the cups upside down over the toast. We rub a little butter round the cups before putting the egg in, to help with the non-stick side of things.

No difficult egg to get off anything when washing up, so a quick wash and rinse is all that's needed. I used to use the swirling-water technique in a normal deep-sided pan of boiling water, but it's a bit of a parp compared to using the above poaching pan.

I never got on with scrambled eggs, but I do love a couple of nice poached eggs on toast, with lots of pepper and a dollop of brown sauce.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 21st, 2017, 3:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Nice video showing the difference between the two styles...it made me cringe though the way he was attacking the non stick pan with that metal fork! John

Short, clear, and by THE Jacques Pepin, what's not to like! 8-)
I'd be a little surprised if he uses non-stick pans, most high-profile chefs profess they never do, or used to have that viewpoint.

- I use a wooden spoon, it achieves the same, and no chance of scratching my non-stick Analon pans, most of which are as good as new, despite buying them 14 years ago.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm

JMN2 wrote:Quite so but what I did was I learned these two recipes and probably cooked an omelette 5 times a week for around 3 years and now I can't face another omelette ever.

I watched the "country" one and have to admit that I would have found that inedible due to the snotty texture.
I decided not to watch the French style one as the memories it brought back would have made me rush for the loo, heaving.

I do like eggs, but I either want them either cooked or raw and, to me, that was neither.

Frying some mushrooms, onions or bacon first and then stirring them into the mix before frying it improves the variety of the omelette. Or any combination of 2 or 3. And garlic. And cheese. Or leftover roast potatoes. In fact almost anything.

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 21st, 2017, 5:30 pm

Slarti wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Quite so but what I did was I learned these two recipes and probably cooked an omelette 5 times a week for around 3 years and now I can't face another omelette ever.

I watched the "country" one and have to admit that I would have found that inedible due to the snotty texture.
I decided not to watch the French style one as the memories it brought back would have made me rush for the loo, heaving.

I do like eggs, but I either want them either cooked or raw and, to me, that was neither.

Frying some mushrooms, onions or bacon first and then stirring them into the mix before frying it improves the variety of the omelette. Or any combination of 2 or 3. And garlic. And cheese. Or leftover roast potatoes. In fact almost anything.

Slarti

Now you are just being silly and unreasonable. :D After all, we are talking about mere eggs here...

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » October 21st, 2017, 6:34 pm

Nowadays, I too use silicone, great product. We got fed up cleaning the albumen off the pan sides.

john

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 23rd, 2017, 9:04 pm

Slarti wrote:And scrambled is about the only way I don't like eggs. And there are different versions of scrambled, all of which are eggs spoiled, to me.

You obviously haven't tried scrambled eggs with smoked salmon - manna from heaven! ;)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 23rd, 2017, 9:15 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
Slarti wrote:And scrambled is about the only way I don't like eggs. And there are different versions of scrambled, all of which are eggs spoiled, to me.
You obviously haven't tried scrambled eggs with smoked salmon - manna from heaven! ;)

Certainly. Soak the salmon in a little milk for 5 mins to 'juicify' it a touch, or the 'dry' smoked salmon can get a bit lost in the end result IME. Then use the milk in the egg mix you whip up pre-cooking it.

(Someone will perhaps tell me this is beneath the pale, but it works for me, honest :))

Return to “Food”