Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Nat West Visa

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
Alaric
Lemon Half

Nat West Visa

Postby Alaric » August 11th, 2020, 4:22 pm

NatWest have written to inform me that they are replacing the Visa card with a Mastercard. Evidently they haven't noticed or don't care that I already have a Mastercard through NatWest.

On the premise that you occasionally get organisations which only take one or the other, I may now be open to offers of a new Visa card.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Nat West Visa

Postby Lootman » August 11th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Alaric wrote:NatWest have written to inform me that they are replacing the Visa card with a Mastercard. Evidently they haven't noticed or don't care that I already have a Mastercard through NatWest.

On the premise that you occasionally get organisations which only take one or the other, I may now be open to offers of a new Visa card.

Is there a reason that you refer one to the other? To my mind there are few competitive situations where the difference between two brands is so trivial. Maybe the difference between buying BP or Shell petrol, perhaps?

So I am curious why you only want Visa cards. I can understand someone avoiding American Express because not every place accepts it. But I don't give a thought to whether a card issuer uses Visa or Mastercard. Places that take one invariably take the other in my experience, at least in the UK. What am I missing?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 11th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Lootman wrote:So I am curious why you only want Visa cards

Currently I hold both Visa and Mastercard cards. When Natwest cancel my Visa card, I will only have Mastercard ones. Hence the desire for a replacement Visa.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 11th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Alaric wrote:
On the premise that you occasionally get organisations which only take one or the other,

Really? Like Looty, I've never experienced this.

About the nearest I can imagine happening is a retailer on slim margins insisting on only debit cards as the merchant pays a fixed fee per transaction of about £1, rather than a percentage of the transaction value when taking payment by credit cards.

The thing being, AIUI you can get a Visa debit card but not a Mastercard debit so if you offer mastercard in such an establishment the management automatically refuse Mastercard as they are lal credit cards, while a Visa card could be either debit or credit.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 11th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Mike4 wrote:Really? Like Looty, I've never experienced this.

Major events which have one of them as a sponsor would insist on that type of card for payment.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/15215/th ... ics-ripoff

Has the practice has been outlawed?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 11th, 2020, 9:14 pm

I've got a Nat West gold visa card. Nat West have never made a penny out of me over the 20+ years that I've had it so they aren't gonna miss me one little bit if I go somewhere else.

Hopefully my new Master card will also be a nice gold colour !

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 11th, 2020, 9:22 pm

richlist wrote:I've got a Nat West gold visa card. Nat West have never made a penny out of me over the 20+ years that I've had it

They have made money, from the interchange fees they charge to vendors and retailers.

And in a sense that has come from you because, without those fees, the vendor could have charged you a lower price. In fact there are still some places that will give you a lower price for cash. Or slap on a fee or minimum for using a card.

Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Postby Maylix » August 11th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Lootman wrote:... I don't give a thought to whether a card issuer uses Visa or Mastercard..... ?

Used to be (10/15 years ago), I thought Visa was more 'European' and Master card was more North American. A quick Google finds
https://merchantmachine.co.uk/visa-mastercard-amex/
and shows there still some disparity. The map isn't definitive, but the 'popularity' it measures is probably a proxy variable for 'more retailers take it'
HTH
Maylix

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 11th, 2020, 9:52 pm

That shows GB as being predominantly Amex.......which is absolute rubbish. There are loads of places that don't take Amex, most people don't have an Amex card, many retailers won't pay their inflated charges.

The chart is just wrong.

It wasn't sponsored by Amex by any chance ?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 12th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Alaric wrote:
On the premise that you occasionally get organisations which only take one or the other,

Really? Like Looty, I've never experienced this.

Ditto.

I'd be interested in hearing of places that dont take both Visa and Mastercard to be honest :-)

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 12th, 2020, 5:27 pm

richlist wrote:That shows GB as being predominantly Amex.......which is absolute rubbish. There are loads of places that don't take Amex, most people don't have an Amex card, many retailers won't pay their inflated charges.

Totally. I try to use AMEX as I get genuine cash back but its not unusual for places not to take it , and so i have a MC as backup.

didds

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 16th, 2020, 9:28 pm

didds wrote:
richlist wrote:That shows GB as being predominantly Amex.......which is absolute rubbish. There are loads of places that don't take Amex, most people don't have an Amex card, many retailers won't pay their inflated charges.

Totally. I try to use AMEX as I get genuine cash back but its not unusual for places not to take it , and so i have a MC as backup.

I also tend to use Amex and the only large retailer that still doesn't accept it is B&Q/Screwfix. Although lots of smaller retailers *say* they don't take Amex they do, but don't want to pay the fees. So I just pay with my phone/watch contactless and either they don't realise I have paid with an Amex card or it bleeps and I then swipe over to the VISA card.

mearnsfool
2 Lemon pips

Postby mearnsfool » August 29th, 2020, 10:35 pm

In around 2012 the Clydesdale Bank changed their debit card from VISA to Mastercard. I could not work out why they had gone to the trouble of changing all their debit cards.

A few months later we had a few days at the Rutland Arms Hotel in Bakewell.

At reception in the Hotel, they had a notice showing their preference as to which card was used for payment of bills. The Visa debit card was more welcome than the Mastercard Debit card. The Hotel manager advised me that the Mastercard debit card charged the Hotel a larger commission than the Visa Debit card.

I assume the reason that the Clydesdale Bank changed to Mastercard was that they got a bigger kick back from Mastercard than they got from Visa but I have no facts to back that assumption.

I have never had one debit card refused in preference to another debit card and it was only once that I was informed that different Debit Card operators charged different amounts of commission to the venders.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”