Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

PPI Claim

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: PPI Claim

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 19th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Snorvey wrote:
The claims company's fee is an eye watering 40%*.

*I'm not against companies charging a fee for work done btw and my friend isn't trying to deprive them of they money - but 40%? I mean, come on!

Can't answer your other questions but I've been helping a friend make a claim about his pension. He heard an advert by Goodwin Barrett on the radio and called them. They also said a fee of 40% would be incurred, he declined their help.

RC

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » September 19th, 2019, 4:45 pm

60% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Given it's taken him until now to do anything about it, I wouldn't expect him to pursue it himself. Also, the companies involved may say that the deadline has passed, and the claims company could only get something because he put in a claim with them before the deadline.

I also thought the fee was about 25%. Maybe the claims companies have steadily increased the fee. After all, the people who REALLY wanted the money back did it themselves as soon as they knew they were entitled to. The ones who are only just starting a claim now aren't all that bothered about the money, so the claims companies are having a go at charging more.

He could try calling them and saying "My friend used a different claims management company, I forget the name, and they only charged 25%. I'll ask him for their number," and see if there is any room for negotiation.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 20th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Snorvey wrote:
I have a friend who, in his adult lifetime, accrued a fair bit of debt across loans, overdrafts, cards etc. Happily, after many years of struggling' he's back on track.

Was he struggling because of loss of job, income etc.? Seems if that was the case he should have claimed on the PPI. If he claimed, but didn't qualify, then that is almost in itself an admission of "mis-selling", so not sure why he would need a claims company when he could do it himself and re-approach the financial institutions themselves.

If he successfully claimed on PPI then surely he isn't entitled to compensation for mis-selling, although nothing seems to surprise me anymore.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”