Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Asda Credit Card Bites the Dust

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Asda Credit Card Bites the Dust

Postby GeoffF100 » July 7th, 2020, 11:53 am

Asda's cashback credit card is about to be terminated. I had stopped shopping at Asda anyway because of their failure to manage queues with in the store. Morrisons is safer. It is more expensive, but it is worth paying a little extra to stay alive.

I like to have my credit and debit cards with different banks, in case one of them has an IT failure. I have replaced the Asda credit card with a Barclaycard Rewards card. The cashback is tiny at 0.25%, but is better than nothing. (My typical monthly spend is £200 or so, but I sometimes have bigger purchases and occasionally go over £1,000.) It is free to withdraw cash, and there is no FX commission. That does not matter to me, but it is nice to have.

Applying for the Barclaycard was pain in the bum. I had to upload bank statements to get a usable credit limit. Their computer complained that my income and tax were inconsistent, so I also uploaded an HMRC tax calculation. Despite uploading the data twice, I kept getting messages saying that I had not uploaded anything. I eventually got a message saying thank you for uploading your data and your credit limit has been increased. Then I got a message saying that it was still £200. Everything appears to be working smoothly now though.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Asda Credit Card Bites the Dust

Postby AF62 » July 13th, 2020, 12:57 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:I have replaced the Asda credit card with a Barclaycard Rewards card. The cashback is tiny at 0.25%, but is better than nothing. (My typical monthly spend is £200 or so, but I sometimes have bigger purchases and occasionally go over £1,000.)

Did you consider and reject the Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday card?

No annual fee, 0.5% cashback up to £5k and 1% above that (but must spend a minimum of £3k to get anything). Plus the introductory offer of 5% for first six months up to £100 then normal cash back rates.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/cred ... edit-card/

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » July 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm

AF62 wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:I have replaced the Asda credit card with a Barclaycard Rewards card. The cashback is tiny at 0.25%, but is better than nothing. (My typical monthly spend is £200 or so, but I sometimes have bigger purchases and occasionally go over £1,000.)

Did you consider and reject the Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday card?

No annual fee, 0.5% cashback up to £5k and 1% above that (but must spend a minimum of £3k to get anything). Plus the introductory offer of 5% for first six months up to £100 then normal cash back rates.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/cred ... edit-card/

I rejected that card because you have to spend at least £3,000 per year to get any cashback. That would be touch and go for a tight wad like me. The card does not appear to be good for foreign currency purchases or cash, but that is not an issue for me currently.

Another issue is that "Amex Platinum" looks a bit up market. The Asda card was ideal from that point of view. It said "I am not worth mugging". Barclaycard may not look particularly down market, but it does not look particularly up market either. This is less of an issue nowadays. Credit cards are much less visible than they were.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 13th, 2020, 8:57 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:Another issue is that "Amex Platinum" looks a bit up market. The Asda card was ideal from that point of view. It said "I am not worth mugging".

I don't really think muggers ask to look in your wallet before deciding whether you will become a victim or not!

Anyway, my card itself rarely gets to see the light of day as I just use it on my phone.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » July 14th, 2020, 10:14 am

AF62 wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:Another issue is that "Amex Platinum" looks a bit up market. The Asda card was ideal from that point of view. It said "I am not worth mugging".

I don't really think muggers ask to look in your wallet before deciding whether you will become a victim or not!

Anyway, my card itself rarely gets to see the light of day as I just use it on my phone.

I agree it is not much an issue now. People will not see much from 2 metres away when I do a contactless payment. Gone are the days when you handed the card on a waiter on a plate, to have it returned shortly afterwards. Even that alone was not likely to get you mugged. Nonetheless, I believe that you are safer if you do not look too prosperous. That approach does not always work. My eight year old Aygo gets broken into. Goodness only knows what they expect to find in there.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”